Author Topic: International Translations of AYP Lessons & Books  (Read 57716 times)

yogani

• AYP Plus
International Translations of AYP Lessons & Books
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2010, 02:00:11 AM »
Hi All:

A new AYP lessons translation link for Norwegian has been added to the listings in the first post of this topic and on the links page of the main website.

Katrine has recently started this one, among her many other projects to help spiritual practitioners in Norway and Ireland. Thank you Katrine! [:)]

The guru is in you.

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2010, 02:22:59 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ConsciousEvolution

I can help with translating more lessons in Hebrew if needed and my friend said she could help with Spanish.
Let me know.

Peace

Hi ConsciousEvolution:

That's wonderful! [:)]

There are two possible paths. First is to contact the active translator, if any, and see if a combined effort can work. I say "if any" because several of the translations are not being actively worked on. In some cases, the former translator may not be reachable anymore.

If there can be a collaboration, great. Try for that first, as the translation work can go faster that way.

If a collaboration is not feasible, for whatever reason, then you are free to use what has been done (copy it), start your own site, and continue on translating new lessons. It may seem to be a sloppy approach, with multiple translations out there at various levels of completion, but this is the best way I have found to keep the translations going. It is challenging work, and no one is to be faulted for stopping after while. The main thing is for others who are inspired to be able to pick up what has been done and run further with it. That way, eventually all the translations will be done. [:)]  

I will be happy to list any new translation links on the AYP website and forums.

Maybe Miguel can use some help. The Spanish translation is up to Main Lesson 90 and Tantra Lesson 4.

The Hebrew translator is Yonatan. You can find an email link for him by clicking on his ID in the member list or anywhere in the forums. (There is an email link on the Hebrew website too.) The Hebrew translation is up to Main Lesson 17. If you can help it go further, that would be terrific.

Many thanks!

The guru is in you.

miguel

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
Hi conscious,

If your friend wants to translate some spanish lessons that would be great.He/she only have to sent them to me and i will publish them.Would be great to know wich lessons is he/she going to translate before.Just send me a mail when you want clicking in my forum ID.

Thanks.

Panthau

• http://aypsite.at
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
Hey,

Do i see it right, that there are two german translations which end up early in the pranayama part?

If so, and im willing to translate, can i use these resource and start a new site? How free am i in design questions? Its just that it would be a lot more fun, not only to translate but also to place it in a whole new environment... because these german resources are rather... not so... beautiful as they could be :)

Thanks
Pan

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2010, 01:54:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Panthau

Hey,

Do i see it right, that there are two german translations which end up early in the pranayama part?

If so, and im willing to translate, can i use these resource and start a new site? How free am i in design questions? Its just that it would be a lot more fun, not only to translate but also to place it in a whole new environment... because these german resources are rather... not so... beautiful as they could be :)

Thanks
Pan

Hi Pan:

You can do whatever you like with presentation, as long as you are not altering the content of the lessons (including mixing with other content like reader discussions on the same page), and link back to the main English website so readers can find us.

FYI, the German translation listed first is active (the second is inactive). The translator is kashiraja. You may want to drop him a line to see if a joint effort makes sense. Or do your own thing, as described in my post above. If you develop a site, let me know the link so we can add it to the list. The one with the most lessons completed goes on top. [8D]

Many thanks, and all the best!

The guru is in you.

Panthau

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2010, 02:27:59 AM »
Ah ok i see, thanks for the info! So you´re motivating us through our ego? Im gonna get my translation to nr1 haha! :)

I just wondered about the translation of "i am" which kashiraja translated as "AYAM" (which sounds different to me).

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2010, 02:39:22 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Panthau

I just wondered about the translation of "i am" which kashiraja translated as "AYAM" (which sounds different to me).

It is the same sound as the English words "I AM," however that may be spelled in German. In English "AYAM" is pronounced the same. AYAM can be viewed as a Sanskrit derivation, which would be pronounced the same everywhere. This additional spelling was provided in the lessons to make it clear that the mantra is a sound without meaning used in deep meditation. The important thing is to convey the sound, not any meaning.  

The guru is in you.

Panthau

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2010, 04:16:55 AM »
Jup, thats what i meant, because AYAM sounds different in our language when spoken out without english knowledge, and its not clearly described in the translation. Anyway, i should pm this to kashiraja.

ConsciousEvolution

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »
Miguel: Looks like my friend is quite busy and won't be able to do any translation work these days.

However, I wouldn't mind putting my Spanish to the test one of these days by doing some translation work but only if someone can go over them before publishing because they might not be up to par.

In the meanwhile, I'm helping out with Hebrew.

I just wanted to express my gratitude because notwithstanding being a native-speaker in both English and Hebrew, having to translate the lessons from English to Hebrew requires piercing deeper than the first time I had read them and is providing me with precious clues and insights in a time when they are highly needed by me as I am experiencing some difficulties with the Deep Meditation process.

Thanks!

Love.

Peace.

miguel

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2010, 01:14:59 AM »
Hi conscious,

All your efforts (you and your friend) would be very wellcome here and a great helping hand.Dont worry about "the quality" of the translations,i can review  and correct them before publishing.No problem.
If youre gonna do it please,send me a private message and will tell you wich lessons you and your friend can translate (we must organize the work and theres another person that is going to translate some lessons also).

Many thanks.[:)]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:22:09 AM by miguel »

Panthau

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 03:50:27 AM »
Hi there,

As far as i have seen, it seems like kashiraja is translating in another style then i do. I like to keep it as exact as possible to the original.

The site is now online, dont know how much the design may change, but i like to keep it simple :)

No translated lessons yet, but time will tell :P

http://exec.at/AYP/

Atb,
Pan

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2010, 04:59:00 AM »
Hi Pan:

When you have some lessons up there (say at least 5-10), let me know and we can post the link then.

Many thanks!

The guru is in you.

ConsciousEvolution

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2010, 07:12:47 AM »
A question for Yogani:

I'm translating from English to Hebrew right now, at a pretty good pace.
Reading through my translations, they look alright. They seem professional and the vocabulary used is quite good.
The original meaning is conveyed.
The thing is, that they feel mechanical to some extent. There's something a bit lifeless about them.
Remember, Hebrew does not come from Latin so it's quite a different language.
I've been trying to be very loyal to the original text but the problem is that that somehow renders my translations a bit cold, with not enough soul. On the other hand, I might have to wander off quite a bit from the original in order to render them friendlier and more soulful, and then they might not be as accurate and loyal to the original text as they are now.

Anyway, you get my drift...

So? What's your advice? What are the guidelines, what's the preference?
In short, may I take the liberty to simplify it and make it more user-friendly in Hebrew, a different language, or do I stay loyal to source as literally as I can?

Thank you Kindly,

CE
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:18:22 AM by ConsciousEvolution »

tadeas

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2010, 09:38:58 AM »
Hi, it's a fine point :)

What I'm asking myself while translating is this: am I understanding, am I seeing what is actually written? And then, if yes, how do I express this in my language? When you work like this - reexpressing the deeper idea because you see what is being pointed to in a particular sentece - then translation is not mechanical. It comes with time. Also, you'll get used to Yogani's style and you'll find the best ways to express certain phrases he uses repeatedly. Then it's also easier.

I think in every translation something gets lost. And it depends on the translator if he can keep the text alive throughout. Definitely keep it alive! ... while expressing the original idea :)

Enjoy the work & finding the sweet spot. :)

miguel

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2010, 05:45:19 PM »
Agree with tadeas.

Dont be very rigid with the translations.You need to find your own stile and make it confortable to the readers without losing the message and the main idea of the text.But some adaptation to your language is necesary.

In my first steps i used to translate with 100% fidelity to the original but i realized that the lessons sounded a little strange and  were a little dificult to read.So i had to open my mind a little an lose my fears and started tranlating in a more relaxed way and thinking in the potential spanish readers.After all the lessons are translated in your language for them.

I started enjoying more the work since this decision and the message and original intention is 100% there too.It happens with a little  practice.

this is my experience.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 05:49:34 PM by miguel »