Author Topic: Kechari Mudra  (Read 45877 times)

Alvin Chan

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2006, 01:43:47 AM »
I tried snipping once at one side of the frenum, the tautest spot when I stretched sideway. I notice that there are considerably more blood, around 10 drops. There would be more, but I pressed on it for a while and it stopped. Is this normal when we snip somewhere other than the frenum membrane?

Also, there are two purple lines running from (the bottom side of) the tongue to the frenum, which I think are blood vessels.[?] At the frenum, they lie in some crucial area. How do you avoid snipping them after the frenum membrane is gone?

yogani

• AYP Plus
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2006, 02:14:17 AM »
Hi Alvin:

Those purple lines are blood vessels and you should never snip near those.

The side snipping you are doing is not recommended -- it is not the right place, and is very risky...

If you stay on the protruding edge of the center tendon, at the point of greatest tension, and follow a slow course as per Lesson 108, the blood vessels on either side will not be an issue. If there is no protruding frenum edge in the center, then wait for one -- it will come up eventually as the tongue goes back and upward. If your bhakti and the corresponding energy flow are not yet taking the tongue naturally in that direction, then you are most likely premature with the snipping. My advice is, slow down.    

The guru is in you.

Vicki

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2006, 01:23:14 AM »
Hi Victor,

This is my first post but I have been finding the forum very informative and supportive, as I can often feel quite isolated in my practise.  I practise kriya yoga as taught by my teacher in India, and have recently got to stage 2 in Khechari after 17 months of natural practise.  I have felt a big difference after achieving this.  I am eager for the tongue to go further up and wonder if that process is as great a leap as from stage 1 to 2? I am also very interested in your experiences of how it has changed your practise.

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2006, 04:03:12 AM »
Hi Vicki,
Nice to see a female name sake on the board [:D]
The tongue getting past the palate seems like the big hurdle to me. The next real step is developing comfort in the practice so that it becomes second nature. Rather than feeling like a big leap for me the practice of kechari felt more like a piece of the puzzle that fit perfectly into place once it was learned. It took my pranayama practice to the next level and allowed me to feel like i could meditate for the first time. Didn't get lights and sounds or anything dramatic, just a deepening of practices that I had already been doing. It feels part of me now like my smile or the way that I sit or how I breathe. After experimenting I also have found that it doesn't go well for me in general asana practice but helps alot in focus during pranayama and meditation going along with shambhavi mudra and the bandhas to bring the gaze and energy focus to the third eye point.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:03:46 AM by Victor »

Vicki

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2006, 05:38:33 AM »
Thanks Victor,

At present I can hold the tongue in Khechari for a while but saliva build up causes me to break it.  Does it take a while to increase the amount of time the tongue can be left up without having to come down again to swallow?

david_obsidian

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2006, 06:17:39 AM »
Yup it takes a while.  Not too long though,  more like days or weeks than months.
-Not Victor.

alan

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2006, 06:49:41 AM »
hello; i want to pick up on the advanced kechari thread [:p]
i was fortunate to succeed in kechari quite quickly and easily. a week or two and i was at the top of the pharynx striving to go beyond the strain, and also exploring into the nasal cavities. that was last june and i am now well familiar with kechari in my daily yoga. the benefits of depth and silence are great. i can stay erect at the base of the skull,or laying the tongue-tip into the left nostril, just in over the round thing and up against the clefts in the membranes while doing my breath-work, but during meditation usually relax along the septum as it is easier to forget the tongue in that relaxed position and let go into deep. there are differences in conductivity in each position, though sometimes that isn't the case and conductivity is as strong in either position. also, conductivity is sometimes noticed only after, while up and about. when i really want to get things moving (besides focusing more intently on my pranic breathing) i find that pushing up into the nasal clefts really jazzes it up.
  i'm curious about advanced kechari. i find no literature on this.  
i feel that the tongue could go up further. which way would this be? forward, or upward? will a way open up naturally when i'm ready? is there really any benefit to going further, or will Soma fall when the time comes anyway?
  Light and Love, alan
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:09:07 AM by alan »

david_obsidian

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2006, 08:26:50 AM »
Alan,

I haven't gone into the nostrils yet myself (though my tongue is long enough) -- it sounds like you are starting to, though it isn't totally clear to me.

Yogani does have instructions on getting through the nostrils into stage 4.  Did you see them yet?

alan

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2006, 09:40:29 AM »
hi David; i was into the nostrils within the first week or two. very sensitive at first, not so much now. like Victor, kechari is what brought me to AYP. i've been using kechari since last june. there is a vertical cleft in the membranes, up inside the left nostril that leads forward and upward, that my tongue pushes into. due to the tightness of the cleft i can push only so far. my intuition tells me that maybe this will open up naturally when i am ready. i try to turn my tongue top to the center while pushing into the cleft as i read in an AYP lesson. is this the stage 4 lesson to which you refer? or are there further instructions i haven't read? [xx(][:0][:p] these faces are fun!

david_obsidian

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2006, 09:54:20 AM »

Hello Alan,

for instructions on entering stage 4 I mean Yogani's lesson here:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus/108.html

If you decide to do it,  make sure you have followed all the cautions on self-pacing.

Regards,

-D

Lavazza

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2006, 10:02:27 AM »
I can go into my nostrils, but I feel that I only get conductivity with the base of the tip of my tongue resting on the soft palate in stage 2.

alan

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2006, 10:30:18 AM »
thanks David. that's the lesson i'm familiar with. if going into the left nasal cavity a ways and pushing against the inner membranes is stage 4, then i guess i'm there. something tells me though that the narrow passage deep inside the nostril will relax and open up someday, if need be. i find depth and conductivity just resting against the septum, though. my most dear teacher says this is really quite enough for following his instruction. i guess i can't help myself since my tongue so easily explores this inner environment. lots of Love,  alan

yogani

• AYP Plus
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2006, 12:19:09 PM »
Hi Alan:

Not to disappoint, but the nasal openings from inside are limited by bone all the way around, including the septum in the center. If you look at a skull you will see the thin bone in the center of the nasal opening. The opening will not change much. The way further in is by whatever can be done with the tongue -- twisting, pushing, stretching, etc.

But it is not that big a deal really. After 20 years of playing with kechari, I stay mostly around the septum -- the "secret spot," and use stage 4 (into the nostrils) sometimes for alternate nostril breathing from the inside when doing chin pump. It can be used that way with any form of pranayama, including spinal breathing. But be careful not to overdo it. Once ecstatic conductivity is coming up, less can be more.

You have the angles and everything right for stage 4. It will go as far as it can go. Up is where there is the most running room in my case. Some don't do stage 4 at all due to anatomy. I don't think it makes a big difference. Many reach higher levels of ecstatic conductivity with stage 1 alone. There are few absolutes in this world, and the level of kechari we achieve is not one of them. (Though getting above the soft palate is obviously a pretty big step.)

The guru is in you.

alan

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
Cool!   Thanks Yogani.

sparkyfoxMD

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2006, 01:47:10 AM »
Hi everyone
Just thought I'd let you know how Im getting on a la kechari. Have been stretching the tongue a lot and am now quite far back.
I went to see my local friendly dentist and talked about having the frenum removed safely...he explained it was very simple and very safe and would do it for about £200 ($350 ish). So I am booked in and going to do it. Might be sore for a little while but shouldnt be any problems. If there are I will let you all know!!!
I decided to go this route because I simply couldnt face mucking about with a pair of cuticle snippers, and am rather accident prone, so possibly might have removed some of my arteries at the same time! Seriously, I think its the best route FOR ME. Will let y'all know how I get on.