Author Topic: Kechari Mudra  (Read 45126 times)

yogani99

• http://www.aypsite.org
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 02:15:21 AM »
Hi SparkyfoxMD:

Thanks for posting that. Below is my reply that was sent when we discussed this in email some weeks ago.
---------------------------------------

There can be some short term benefit in the spoon technique you mention for stretching the soft palate to achieve initial entry into stage 2 kechari. But I don't see much value in it beyond that, as it is the degree of freedom of the tongue from the frenum tying it down underneath that determines both short term and long term progress in the practice. The soft palate has a certain "home position" that it always returns to (thankfully), so there is no progression of more release or stretching of the soft palate over time. Once the hymen-like band across the back edge of the soft palate has been stretched (by tongue entry which can be with finger help and/or the spoon method you mention), then the deed is done, and it will be the degree of tongue freedom that will determine progress from then on. This can be seen in the kechari diagrams here: http://www.aypsite.com/plus/kechari_image1.html  

Posting the spoon technique would be of interest to kechari connoisseurs in the AYP forum, so please consider doing so. Aside from sharing, I expect you would get some useful feedback, as there are others who are in kechari stage 2 and beyond there. You can pull up numerous topics on kechari by doing a forum search. Some of the methods discussed are quite creative. Where there is a will, there is a way when the bhakti and inner energies are right for it.

The soft palate is much less of an obstacle than it appears. It is a trap door that folds down once the tongue gets behind (left or right side will be the shortest path). I suggest you follow your heart on kechari, taking your time, going step by step. I do not subscribe much to radical means like surgery (see lesson #108 for the "tiny snips" approach), though some are driven to that by their own bhakti. It is a personal choice. You may wish to interact with some in the forum to gain more perspectives.

Keep in mind that AYP is a comprehensive integrated open source on practices, of which kechari is only one aspect. In AYP there are suggested prerequisites to kechari including deep meditation, spinal breathing, other mudras and bandhas and more, all of which work together to cultivate unshakable inner silence, ecstatic bliss and outpouring divine love.

The guru is in you.

rat

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 06:38:07 AM »
I have been able to use two fingers and push my toungue back into the nasel cavity. Why is this not good enough? I have done this about 10 times and each time it is a little easier and will stay longer held by the membrane. Is it necessary that the toungue be able to go back by itself? Is it not just as effective if I need to use my fingers to get it there? It seems that ths saves a lot of cutting.

Dave (rat)

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 08:43:14 AM »
Hi Dave-rat - This is not an answer to your question, but I've been trying for some time to push my tongue back with my fingers, and I've been a frenum-snipping fool as well, but still no kechari.  I'm thinking, therefore, that your frenum may not need any cutting, or possibly only a small amount in order to get your tongue to stay in the nasal cavity by itself.  Lucky you.  And then once you're up there, you'll probably eventually want to go further up with your tongue, as there are more surprises further on up the passage, so I would imagine that at some point you're going to want to lengthen your tongue a bit.  If you're averse to cutting, you might try milking, or stretching the tongue.  There are many posts on this, if you're interested.

Jim and His Karma

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 01:12:38 PM »
sparkyfoxMD, thanks for the great posting. Please post more. It's so GREAT to see different perspectives on all this stuff!!

Alvin Chan

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2006, 03:53:13 PM »
Hi all,

Some beginner questions here:

I am not an English speaker, and I can't find "cuticle snipper" in my dictionary. What actually is cuticle snipper for ? I mean the original use of it.

When I stretch my tongue up, the greatest stress on the frenum is along the whole edge of the frenal membrane. Should I snip closer to the higher (ie.,closer to the tongue) or lower end? Or it's not that important?

Alvin

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2006, 04:06:07 PM »
the cuticle snipper is a small scissor for fingernail care, I think to cut small pieces of skin at the bottom of the nail (cuticle).
This is something you don't usually do, but if a little piece sticks out it's painful. Google "cuticle scissor"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 04:08:48 PM by Etherfish »

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2006, 04:08:25 AM »
actually, teh term scissor could be confusing as a cuticle snipper is not a scissor but more similat to a wire clipper where the blades do not cross

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2006, 11:42:51 AM »
oops, google cuticle snipper
Alvin's probably still waiting for an answer to the second question but I can't help.

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2006, 12:15:12 PM »
Alvin - I snip in the middle, where it's the thinnest.  The key is to keep snipping in the same spot; don't move up or down the frenum for more coverage, as it doesn't work that way.  Snip, let it heal, snip again in the same spot, etc.  And milking, or stretching, the tongue in between snips is highly recommended.  Just yank on your tongue.

Alvin Chan

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2006, 12:56:40 AM »
Thanks very much for the reply. I will start snipping soon.

Actually, I asked because I googled "cuticle snipper" but it gave only a few not very helpful results. (in fact I got a few yoga sites including AYP, and a yoga forum where Victor is a frequent visitor!) The supposedly wrong name "cuticle scissor" give me much more pictures to see what it is!

david_obsidian

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2006, 01:26:27 AM »
Cuticle snippers are common in drugstores here in the US.  All of the chains certainly have them.  I don't know what it is like in Hong Kong.

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2006, 04:13:50 AM »
I got much better results on Google doinga search for cuticle NIPPER click here

Alvin Chan

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
Oh, thanks victor. Seems that I misunderstood what it is before. Fortunately I have not yet bought one. I guess the reason for using it (rather than e.g. a knife or  a scissor) is the precision it gives?

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2006, 04:24:32 AM »
Yes Alvin, it gives a more precise cut and you need precision for this delicate job

Alvin Chan

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 03:47:47 PM »
I snipped yesterday. There was some blood. The frenum membrane now almost disappeared, and i could feel the improvement in tongue flexibility. (though I am still in stage 1, and I have not started doing Kechari) But i think my next snip would be more painful and would bring out less flexibility gained since I have to start working with something "thicker".

From my very limited experience of stretching my tongue, the frenum (frenum membrane, as I still had it before) seems to be going downward (towards the base of the tongue) and the whole edge get closer to the tongue surface. This makes the frenum less visible (and harder to snip) while not much improvement in tongue is gained! That's why I decided to snip without further stretching. It seems to me that "milking" may also bring the frenum edge less visible. What's the experience of the others?

I am thinking of a way to make the frenum thinner and coming outward, but so far it's purely "thought-experiment" without actual trying. So I'll tell you guys only after I tested it. If it doesn't work, then I'll have to use David's "tooled talavya kriya" very soon. That's rather violent for me.....