Author Topic: Kechari Mudra  (Read 46263 times)

david_obsidian

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2006, 03:29:54 AM »

Thanks,  Sparky. Let us know how it goes.  I am curious about whether he really removes the whole frenum....

sparkyfoxMD

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2006, 05:20:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

Thanks,  Sparky. Let us know how it goes.  I am curious about whether he really removes the whole frenum....

So am I David! But I'll certainly let you know!!

Jim and His Karma

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2006, 11:35:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Victor
helps alot in focus during pranayama and meditation going along with shambhavi mudra and the bandhas to bring the gaze and energy focus to the third eye point.

coming in late here....I just want to note that AYP does not suggest bringing energy focus to the third eye point in meditation. I agree; I strongly believe  it's best not to direct ANYTHING in meditation. Let the mantra focus the energy wherever it needs to; one's only duty is to return to mantra when it side-tracks but otherwise to let yourself be worked on rather than "do" anything.

Of course, there are different approaches and schools, and if Victor (or anyone else) prefers doing it this way, that's absolutely his right.

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2006, 06:12:38 PM »
Actually, I would agree with you at this point as far as technique goes Jim. Experientially the practice of kechari during mantra meditation seems to bring energy to the ajna without deliberate effort.

ycloutier2000

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2006, 01:33:28 AM »
I don't think I would be able to snip.  I get queazy and feel light headed just imagining it.  I have recently found a way that gives it a nice stretch.  It's just like stretching any other tissue I find - It's like an asana for the tongue.  

I push the tip of my tongue upward where the soft and hard palate meet.  Straight up, up, as far as my tongue will go.  There's a bit more to it, but I eventually find a way to position my tongue to provide maximum stretching of the frenum.  Like any other asana, by experimentation, you find the best way for the tongue to provide the best stretch.

After I stop the stretching, I always "taste" a subtle "sweetness".  for a second or two.  I suppose if I can be disciplined enough to stretch this way every day, eventually I will be able to move my tong to the nasal cavity.  Currently the tip can touch the entrance to the nasal cav - I can taste the difference.  Patience and determination should eventually get me all the way up....I hope!

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2006, 02:28:52 AM »
Hi Y - Patience and determination should eventually get you all the way up, but if your tongue/frenum ratio is similar to mine, it'll take a really, really long time.  I've been nudging my tongue with my finger the same way you're doing, along with clipping, and finally a month or so ago I got my tongue past the uvula into stage 2.  I still can't do it without the help of the finger, but once my tongue is back there, I can remove my finger and the tongue stays for longer periods of time, just checking things out.  I need a lot more length before I can probe properly, but getting into stage 2 was a big deal for me.  It was like living in a house for 40 odd yrs. and then finding a secret passageway and room.  At some point you might consider snipping; you can't be a bigger wimp than I, and the benefits are pretty amazing.

Jim and His Karma

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2006, 03:04:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Actually, I would agree with you at this point as far as technique goes Jim. Experientially the practice of kechari during mantra meditation seems to bring energy to the ajna without deliberate effort.

victor, if I can niggle and pick at you just a little, even the indirect intent is a mistake. Silence magnifies intent (as we learn with samyama). So even the smallest predispositions can blow up large as we go deeper into silence.

We don't need to bring energy to ajna. We don't need to bring awareness to ajna. That's just not it, I promise. There's NOTHING we need to do and there's NOTHING we need to have done for us. Just let the barber cut your hair and stay out of it.

I get caught up in a thousand more of these sorts of things than you ever will, I promise (I'm too damned analytical for my own good...Iyengar training....). My solution: strip it down. Don't meditate, just sit and say "I am" a lot. I have to keep relearning this. Otherwise I become the meditation version of Ed Norton, with the 90 gazillion things he has to do before he actually hits the cue ball!

sparkyfoxMD

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2006, 10:31:32 PM »
quote:

Its all done. He removed it completely. Took about 20 minutes. No pain. Mouth sore...getting used to it. Will take a while to heal and I will post updates on how it is going.

david_obsidian

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2006, 12:53:37 AM »
Thanks.  Great.

Let me know when it heals fully (might be a few weeks for such a big cut).

In a few days now you can start 'milking the tongue'  (might be too sore until then).  This will now start to stretch your tongue muscles if necessary.  Freed from the frenum limitation,  stretching is very rapid in the tongue itself.  It's possible that your tongue muscles are already long enough to not need stretching.

Let me know when it is healed.... I have an experiment for you to try if you are interested....

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2006, 03:04:21 AM »
I am interested too. please keep us updated

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2006, 03:15:31 AM »
Would a dentist in the US do this?

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2006, 03:52:02 AM »
Dear Sparky Fox - I'm curious if you had to persuade the dentist, or if she did it without asking any questions?  My dentist is a good ol' boy and the idea of explaining myself to him doesn't appeal to me.  Is this a routine operation for a dentist?  What did you tell them you wanted it for?

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2006, 04:07:05 PM »
Meg, I have a dentist in san francisco who said he is willing to do it

sparkyfoxMD

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2006, 08:13:20 PM »
quote:

Thanks.  Great.

Let me know when it heals fully (might be a few weeks for such a big cut).

In a few days now you can start 'milking the tongue'  (might be too sore until then).  This will now start to stretch your tongue muscles if necessary.  Freed from the frenum limitation,  stretching is very rapid in the tongue itself.  It's possible that your tongue muscles are already long enough to not need stretching.

Let me know when it is healed.... I have an experiment for you to try if you are interested....

Im all up for experiments! Its still quite sore and Im not going to rush anything.

By the way, he was very open to it. He does it in youngsters who are tongue-tied. He asked my why I wanted it done, I told him, and he said, "how interesting". I also said it would help me in my acting career as the voice is very important and the tongue a vital part of that.

His main point was he was happy to do it because he could do it safely...I told him some people try to do it by themselves and he said he was glad I didnt try because everything is quite crowded in my mouth and a little misplaced enthusiasm could have been difficult for me.

sparkyfoxMD

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2006, 06:54:51 PM »
Just thought Id send you an update. Frenum is now removed and although there was soreness for a few days, its now healed well. Went for a checkup and he said I could now begin stretching the tongue if I wanted to. There is still an attachment from the floor of the mouth to the tongue, but he explained it is muscle and not (wiry) frenum. This means it will stretch.

I began stretching and am making some progress; already the tongue goes further back. At this point I have to check my normal "bull in a china shop" approach and try to do things slowly...I keep forgetting its not a race although I am very excitred about the prospects.