Author Topic: Kechari Mudra  (Read 45836 times)

mimirom

• http://www.youtube.com/user/mimirom
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:52 AM »
Hi,

I'd be grateful for any comments. It's still the same here: energy gets stuck in my jaw during dm and samyama. As soon as I enter kechari it immediately gets nice and smooth and meditation deepens.
I'm not sure how to navigate this situation safely.

Thanks

yogani

• AYP Plus
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mimirom

Hi,

I'd be grateful for any comments. It's still the same here: energy gets stuck in my jaw during dm and samyama. As soon as I enter kechari it immediately gets nice and smooth and meditation deepens.
I'm not sure how to navigate this situation safely.

Thanks

Hi Mimirom:

Not sure when the energy blockage started in your jaw -- before or after starting kechari. It will be good to be careful about not over-stimulating it with a practice that may be related to its cause.

Have you been self-pacing in practices and grounding in activity in attempts to reduce the discomfort? Blockages in the throat and jaw can be helped with chin pump or chin pump light. Jim & K has a whole topic on front channel blockages, but I'm not sure you are in that category severity-wise at this point.

Remember that trying to "break through" uncomfortable blockages with more practice almost never works. Better to lighten up...

All the best!

The guru is in you.

mimirom

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #287 on: November 10, 2009, 07:03:38 AM »
Hi Yogani and thank you so much for your answer.

I've been experiencing physical activity in my neck and jaw pretty often durind DM and especially during samyama, and it is something I'm used to. This isn't anything new in my practices and I don't even consider it "discomfort" or something to be worried with.

The recent introduction of kechari during SBP definitely stimulates some new energy, and this causes again activity in my throat/jaw, as was often the case in the past anyway.
What is interesting and new for me now is that when I am in kechari, all the mess in my jaw stops immediately, and I don't need to flex and strech and open my mouth even during the rather huge energy outpourings during samyama.
As soon as I release kechari, all the physical movements are back. It's really like a switch...

So, I'm not actually concerned with overload at this point. I've been through energetically much wilder periods, for instance when trying siddhasana. Rather I'm asking myself if I should better keep testing kechari only during SBP and tolerate patiently all the jaw and body activity during DM and samyama, or to stay in kechari the entire sit, because it feels right and seems to dissolve all the physical symptoms instantly.

I tried to describe my whole kechari experience also in one of the above posts. Maybe it helps a little to clarify things.

Roman

yogani

• AYP Plus
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #288 on: November 10, 2009, 07:37:35 AM »
Hi Mimirom:

It is suggested to feel your way along, keeping in mind that while kechari may be giving relief in one area, it is also causing purification and opening in other areas, perhaps not visible at the moment. There can be delayed effects, so it's suggested to proceed with caution (small steps) when increasing practice times. Your call, of course.

Carry on! [:)]

The guru is in you.

mimirom

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2009, 08:08:08 AM »
Thanks Yogani,

I feel I know what to do.[8D]

Lavazza

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #290 on: November 23, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »
I asked my teacher if I should practice khecari mudra. He asked me how old I was and then said that I should wait. Wonder what is about? Anyway, I will wait.

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #291 on: November 23, 2009, 09:53:56 AM »
are you still a teen?

Wafu

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2009, 02:37:39 AM »
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, so hi all :) I learned about AYP around a month ago after being recommended by a friend, and have been practicing deep meditation twice a day for 2-3 weeks. A few days ago I noticed a real breakthrough, and my meditation seemed to become, for want of a better word, much deeper. Coupled with this, I'm now experiencing involuntary movements of my tongue towards the roof of my mouth whenever I meditate. Is this an indication that my body wants to enter kechari mudra? Everything I've read about AYP has told me that kechari is an advanced practice and should only be attempted in time. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you :)

Lavazza

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2009, 08:49:09 AM »

No, I am 45.

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »
Hi Wafu, and welcome to the forum. [:)]

If you want to play safe, then it is best to follow the lessons through from the start, and add practices in the order that they are described, following the time-line that is described in the lessons (lesson 35). This way you will be a able to build up a safe and stable practice and know how to regulate your practice if you have any difficulties.

If you do decide to add kechari mudra before it comes up as you proceed through the main lessons (lesson 108), then I would at least add spinal breathing pranayama first and become well established in that before adding kechari.  Well established would mean a few weeks at a minimum.

I think that normally in the AYP system, spinal breathing, mulabandha, sambhavi, siddhasana and yoni mudra kumbhaka would all be added before kechari mudra.

Kechari is one of the most powerful advanced spiritual practices there is, so self-pace carefully.

All the best,

Christi

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »
You are 45 but not old enough for kechari? That's pretty funny. If your teacher knows you well and thinks that perhaps you are not ready for some reason then I don't want to argue but age 45 is pretty much old enough for anything (except perhaps retirement)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:28:48 PM by Victor »

Wafu

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #296 on: November 26, 2009, 05:49:49 AM »
Hi Christi,

Thank you for your guidance and your welcome, it's very much appreciated. It's great to know that there's a friendly community that I can turn to for advice.

I've taken what you have said on board, I'm sure you're right in saying that I should build up a routine to include other less advanced practices over time in preparation. The movement I experience in my tongue does intrigue me, perhaps it's just a manifestation of the cleaning process brought about by meditation and not a signal that my tongue wants to travel further at this point. I'm feeling more comfortable with the sensation these days, and I plan to let it become completely natural before I begin spinal breathing. The most important thing, as you've said and as I've read, is pacing.

Thanks again, and keep well,

Alex

Lavazza

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2009, 07:33:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Victor

You are 45 but not old enough for kechari? That's pretty funny. If your teacher knows you well and thinks that perhaps you are not ready for some reason then I don't want to argue but age 45 is pretty much old enough for anything (except perhaps retirement)

Well, his teacher gave him instructions 30-40 years ago about things that he should do some years ago when he was 75.

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
Lavazza, you are confusing me

Lavazza

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #299 on: November 28, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »
OK. Apparently my teacher sometimes gives advice that is not obvious at all. One long time student told me that our teacher told him twenty years ago that he should get married before going into any deeper yoga practice. According to him this was excellent advice.

My teacher is extremely secretive about what his teacher told him to do during the one year retreat he was told to do at the age of 75.

Eventually I will find out what his advice concerning khecari mudra was all about. I am in no hurry.

This summer I got some strange instructions on how I should practice Kaphalabati and Bhastrika. I should partially close my glottis. Which is really difficult. But sometime I will get it.