Author Topic: How to begin?  (Read 1657 times)

Sungazer

How to begin?
« on: March 01, 2014, 02:51:19 AM »
Hi, i have been into medation and spiritaulity for quite long, but still didn't made much progress.

So i found out that meditation can be helpfull, and i started practicing it but i haven't made much progress still. I think that is because I am a very dinamic person and when i comes to things that require concentration and focus I very often fail. So when i try to meditate i almost always end up whining and feeling tired.

Few times i have actualy had a good meditiation experience, and now i have kinda quit meditating realizing it doesn't make too much sense.
And now I'm doing sungazing(you can google about it), and trying to eat a more of a raw food, and that kinda works! kinda increases my enery a lil bit.

So I've came here to learn how to meditate, hopefully with your help, as other techniques i have been around for a lot of time didn't work for me; guess they were too demanding for me.
So i need something simple, like starting with few simple mantras a day, like 2 minutes 5 times a day...

And i just don't know where to start, what mantras to use; guess you know best. :)

And i also have been reading a lot about spiritualy and meditation, so i know quite lot about it, eventhought i didn't have such experience.

So please help, and thank you very much!

Mykal K

• http://www.aypsitehr.org
How to begin?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 03:30:32 AM »
If you want to use the AYP system, you can use this method here: http://www.aypsite.com/plus/13.html.
On the page to your left there are key lessons. They are a nice read, and also the lessons in between which have a lot of good info in them.
Welcome to the forums [:)].

rce

How to begin?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 04:12:39 AM »
Welcome to AYP, Sungazer!

The AYP meditation is very simple, but also very effective.  It is somewhat the opposite of "requiring concentration and focus," but you will see that when you read the instructions at the link Mykal posted.

If you try it, let us know how it goes.

Sungazer

How to begin?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:35:50 AM »
Okay so, I have started today, I just wonder if I could say "I am" on my language?

I mean it's probally translated from some other language into English (maybe from Sanskrit?) so guess i could(or even should) say it in my language.

Have checked on Croatian AYP site, but there it's also "I am", not on Croatian....

rce

How to begin?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:30:01 AM »
Sungazer, it is the internal "sound" of I Am that you are looking for, not the meaning of the words.  Yogani suggests spelling it Ayam if one has trouble with this concept.

So it is best to stick with the English pronunciation.  This topic has been discussed before, and you can find more information using the search feature.  I have to log off so I do not have time.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:47:16 AM by rce »

Sungazer

How to begin?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »
thanks

Sungazer

How to begin?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »
Can I do it for less than 20min? I've read (in lessons and in forums) that you can lower the time of meditation if necesary... I just find it too long...

Can I just set the time of meditation as low as I just feel it to be good? Honestly that would be 5-10 min only... But that just for now i mean, probally later on, I would progress and do it for more time.

And also, we don't really have to try so hard to think of mantra. We just repeat it gently, right? So I shouldn't try focusing on it hard, right; even if we have much thoughts? And always when I am repeating it, at the same time I think of something....

Bodhi Tree

• http://www.codyrickett.com
How to begin?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »
It's your trip. That's the essence of self-pacing. Determining the time at your own chosen speed is the name of the game.

Godspeed. [8D]

SeySorciere

How to begin?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »
Dear Sungazer,

The feeling of irritation, finding it "too long" is typical reaction of the beginner. Unless you are experiencing symptoms of overload - (headaches during the sitting or burst of anger /irritation/emotional reactions the next day), I would advice you to stick with the 20 mins.
Make a commitment. Stick with it. The results are beyond words.

[/\][/\]

Sey

Ayiram

• http://www.samyama.hr/o-nama
How to begin?
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »
Hey Sungazer,

quote:
And also, we don't really have to try so hard to think of mantra. We just repeat it gently, right? So I shouldn't try focusing on it hard, right; even if we have much thoughts? And always when I am repeating it, at the same time I think of something....

Yes, we mentally repeat the mantra very gently.It´s OK to have mantra and thoughts at the same time.DM is not about not having thoughts, it´s about easily coming back to the mantra every time your attention wanders off.

Enjoy!

Sungazer

How to begin?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 03:59:29 AM »
Thank you.

@SeySorciere, yes i think i may call it an irritation.... feeling bit sleepy and a little bit of headache...

But i think i will be doing it 20min some time later for sure....

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
How to begin?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:57:01 AM »
Good advice from everyone above.
I just want to add;
Try not to give up too easily. There is a part of your mind that may feel threatened by meditation, and if it learns you will give up easily every time you are a little sleepy, you could get into a habit of cutting it short every time. So maybe you could push yourself just a little farther each time, by recognizing the sleepy symptom, and trying to hang on a minute more.

Sungazer

How to begin?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
today i did it for full 20 :D it wasn't hard :)

SeySorciere

How to begin?
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
Well done! - see, that wasn't that hard? Keep at it and soon you won't want to miss a single sitting [:D]

Happy for you.

[/\]

Sey

Sungazer

How to begin?
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 11:15:58 AM »
Can i do it for more than twice a day, like 4 times?

I think i could do it without iritation so....

Every time after meditation i feel more relaxed and more positive; someties less, sometimes more. And there are some days when i feel awesome!!

Ading more meditation would make more days awesome so why not? I will watch, if its iritating i will bring it back to twice a day again.