Author Topic: Violent thoughts  (Read 1329 times)

mandala

Violent thoughts
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:36:31 AM »
This is a bit of an embarassing one but I often get violent thoughts when I am with other people, like for instance thoughts come up about kicking someone in the face and pushing them over etc. I would never actually take action on any of these thoughts of course!

Quite dark and ugly, but I never really know what to 'do' with these thoughts. I have always just observed them, just as I observe the many positive ones that come.

But in the end I feel that I don't want to be putting that energy out into the world.

From what I understand the spiritual traditions speak of thoughts coming from the outside and some being internally generated.
I have heard that there is a technique where when negative or any thoughts for that matter come up you push them out, you don't allow them to enter, don't entertain them.

My initial thought on not entertaining these negative thoughts, doing something about them or even not doing anything and just observing is that I will be pushing them into the subconscious/unconscious part of my mind - so that they are not actually being dealt with.

Also I could imagine that these negative thoughts are a symptom of purification, in that that negativty is coming to the surface and I am aware of it, in addition to a great amount of judgement I observe my mind making!

I'm just being totally open here, I haven't shared this with anyone before.

woosa

Violent thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »
Don't worry about it. I have had exactly the same thing. I guess it is down to the purification and opening. (I hope [:D]). And don't worry I haven't carried out any of my bad thoughts (yet....[:p])

I would just observe them like you would in meditation. If you can, and are interested in self enquiry, give it a go.

Samyama is also excellent in teaching you to let go of thoughts into stillness.

But don't do any of these practices if you are not ready - not enough silence cultivated from meditation.

Edit: Forgot to mention, maybe self pacing is needed.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:58:27 AM by woosa »

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Violent thoughts
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
Hi Mandala,

Welcome to the AYP forum!

In regards to negative thoughts, I would say welcome to planet earth in the sense that these are the normal thoughts that arise here for all of us at some time or another. They aren't personal to you, they live here in our one collective mind. It is just a a matter of how aware of them that we are.  

The moment we resist, attack, judge, avoid, worry, etc. we give the thoughts something to stick to, like a magnetic charge. If we just allow them, observe them without judgement, they come and go like strangers walking by us in the street. They don't stop and interact with us unless we engage them.  Thoughts are simply objects (of potential experience) and eventually, as there is no emotional reaction in us when "negative" thoughts arise, they cease to grab our attention and we no longer notice them.

Judgements are the "ego's" habit and attempt to justify itself, reason out and make sense of the world. When the habit of reacting to a given thought is strong, it can take a long time for it to let go. There is another way to live though but it takes time to realize.  As we stop judging others we stop judging ourselves and the world starts to make sense. Understanding becomes intuitive, we open and become more aware and life is able to really flow.

Judgements are a great place for inquiry. Byron Katie's book "Loving What Is" offers a great way to let go of judgement by using her effective method of inquiry.

All the best![:)]

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Violent thoughts
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
I agree with what others have said, and your original method is right; just observe them. i have exactly the same thing happen to me, it's been going on a long time, and it is just purification. Sometimes I have very self destructive thoughts too. I think sometimes I may be tuning into other people's thoughts, but no matter, the answer is the same - just observe. Things are constantly changing.

cosmic

Violent thoughts
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
I agree, witnessing the thoughts without engaging them is a good approach.

Mandala, are you meditating? The deep meditation taught here makes it easier to let go of negative thoughts. With regular practice, you gradually become more identified with inner silence and less identified with thoughts. Then, thoughts can come and go without troubling you.

I also find that the mind gets quieter and negative thoughts don't come around so much. And when they do, they pass swiftly without mental suffering. That's my experience anyways.

Best wishes [:D]
cosmic

karl

Violent thoughts
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:42:27 PM »
Thoughts are just thoughts, neither good or bad until they are labeled as such.

There are many possibilities in a meeting with another person, one response is defense/attack another is hugging and there are an infinite number of other possibilities.

All these thoughts are running at the same time and sometimes are more prominent due to unconscious triggers buried in the mind. It might be a smell, a look, the situation which triggers one thought to come to the forefront.

It's only necessary to understand that they are thoughts. Gaining mastery over thoughts starts with realising they are only thoughts and not simply reacting.

You can accept all thoughts equally, briefly examine, smile and move onto the next. It's just like pictures hanging in a gallery, they evoke an internal response but are just pictures. You can stand looking for a while or simply move onto the next.

Trying to deny thoughts, refusing to accept them or anything else along these lines only gives the thought far more energy and the fear grows alongside. Facing, accepting, surrendering will rob the thought of power.

As an example if a thought comes up about being frightened of something and you try and push the thought away you can notice the fear does not subside. Infact the fear intensifies. To accept that you feel fear and examine it will remove much of the power.

dennisselvon

Violent thoughts
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »
In my opinion,you need meditation.It brings positivity in your mind and removes all negative thoughts for others.Do yoga regularly for making your mind fresh.