Author Topic: Mental Health & Friends  (Read 1223 times)

Snookie2

Mental Health & Friends
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:55:28 AM »
Are you friends with anyone with mental health issues? How do you handle it? I have a few friends with depression, bipolar and stuff but don't always know how to handle it. Just started working with the SAMHSA and one of their programs is the What A Difference A Friend Makes program. It's a campaing aimed at raising awareness about mental health issues and eliminating the stigmas. The goal is to teach people how to be better friends to those suffering because the support of truly caring friends increases the chances of recovery. Anyway, I feel like I'd like to be part of the solution for my friends and do what I can so wanted to share the website - www.whatadifference.org/mentalhealth It gives you tips/resources on how to be a good friend. Worth a look!

NagoyaSea

Mental Health & Friends
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »
Snookie2, thanks for this post. Most of us probably have either family members, co-workers or friends with mental health issues, and perhaps many of us ourselves do. This site looks like a great resource.

Kathy

tonightsthenight

Mental Health & Friends
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:12:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by NagoyaSea

Snookie2, thanks for this post. Most of us probably have either family members, co-workers or friends with mental health issues, and perhaps many of us ourselves do. This site looks like a great resource.

Kathy

I've suffered from years of severe depression and panic disorder.

But in fact, these afflictions appeared only because i was too sensitive to the World, the material form of life.  They are part of my dharma, and i could not have what i have now, that is peace and truth and love and bliss, without them.  They have been guides to me.

Steve Kelly

• http://www.puravidayogavacations.com/
Mental Health & Friends
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 07:06:09 AM »
Mental health is an integral and essential component of health. The WHO constitution states "Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." An important consequence of this definition is that mental health is described as more than the absence of mental disorders or disabilities.

Thanks in advance,
Steve