Author Topic: burning from DM--pranayama a definite no-no?  (Read 954 times)

Lacinato

burning from DM--pranayama a definite no-no?
« on: July 22, 2009, 02:09:17 PM »
Right now, I do DM twice a day--ten minutes in the morning and a few moments un-timed later in the day. If I do ten and ten minutes, after a few days, my nervous system feels like it is burning, and I have a hard time doing anything but try to cool it down--the main thing is eating massive amounts of food, which is very uncomfortable. It takes a few days to feel normal again, and it's horrible. It interrupts my life and I feel less witnessing (though overall in my life, I feel more witnessing and it's incredible. 100% thanks to AYP).

I often feel like I'm not doing enough (high bhakti) and was wondering if substituting some DM with pranayama would be risky. I thought excess pranayama was supposed to burn the nervous system, not meditation, so I'm not sure. I don't want to risk problems, and I don't want to hold myself back. Maybe this sensitivity will pass? How will I know? It's been like this since I started at the beginning of Sept last year.

I'm not looking for bliss, or neat experiences. Just some perspective and peace.

miguel

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 05:26:29 PM »
quote:
I often feel like I'm not doing enough (high bhakti) and was wondering if substituting some DM with pranayama would be risky.

The same situation here also. A good solution for high bhakti is giving you spiritual desire to your ishta and doing self inquiry (use your witness state).Both practices along the day,between practices.Do it only when you feel you need it.Be careful and self-pace with this practices also!

If you want you can substitute some dm for pranayama.But remember that dm is the main practice in ayp,the only cause of inner silence and witness.With sb you will get more balance of energy and more powerful dm.Try it and see what happens.sb is very useful.

You are sensitive,of course.I recomend you to use a chrono for your sessions.One minute more or less in practices are a very serious factor for having or not having overloads here!

Dont worry if you are sensitive,you will have development also.Its not a question of amount of practice.Its a question of following your own pace.

Sometimes i wonder if someday i would be able to do 10 mtes of dm,or mulabandha,sambhavi,samyama...or i would be doing dm and some sb (short sessions) all my life...

[:)]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:27:44 PM by miguel »

Yonatan

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:11:34 PM »
Hi Lacinato,

I think that a little spinal breathing before DM might be beneficial, and it reduces some of the symptoms like heat, burning and other ones that come from the DM sometimes. But that should be also in moderation, and you should find the amount of sb that is right for you right now, and it could be just 3 or 4 cycles, even that can reduce some symptoms..

Hope this helps

Lacinato

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »
I'm doing pranayama for 1/2 the time I do DM now--no problems! I still can't do more than a token second session though (I do make sure to do the token session, though, so it will be ready for expansion when I need it). I see where I do have an energetic block, and I'm slowly working on it from a variety of angles, but it will take time.

Still, it is good. It's been nearly a year that I've been devoted to the practices, and I am getting the gaps, and the witness is slooooooooowly starting to show. I feel like I'm slowly shaking off a nightmare, and seeing what is. I'm so grateful to everyone here.

miguel

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 07:32:15 PM »
[:)]

Zelebe

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:42:15 AM »
Hi Miguel,
For me it was also an ideal to lengthen the practice as much and as fast as possible. With the effect of overdoing ofcourse. Now I cut it down to 3 mins of sbp and 6 mins of dm. I am able to do it twice daily and during don't experience lasting negative effects. On the contrary, I have the idea my practices are now the more effective[:)]

miguel

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 07:33:12 AM »
Hi zelebe.

Yes,definitely less is more here also.[:)]
Now im with 1 sbp and 5 mts dm.
Something has changed.Now i experience smoothly progress and my meditations using the mantra are very energetic and powerful this days.
I feel that with time it grows and grows like a plant.
I find i am dm amazing.
Very pleasant feelings this days and im experiencing an inner light sometimes along the day very clearly.
Many amazing experiences and changes in my life also,cz i practice bhakti and sinquiry along the day when i feel i need it.
Very beautiful path.
Thanks to the old people that are giving us now many yoga tools in a very confortable way,like here in ayp.
Thank you all.
This days is not necesary to go to india and find a guru or something like that...we have the tools alrady here.
Many things are changing in my life,i now.
For example i know my friends here feel very confortable with me.Many new things are coming here slowly.My relationships are deeper than ever before,i have more patience,i see things from a bigger perspective,i respect my selñf more than before and the others.
I feel the inner love inside all the people.

Its a good thing to have found this place[:)]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 08:23:44 AM by miguel »