Author Topic: Yama - Love/Helping/Forgiving others  (Read 864 times)

mnavanee

Yama - Love/Helping/Forgiving others
« on: June 19, 2008, 08:50:53 AM »
If Yama is all about our relationship with others, how does it relate to  the following aspects of human relationship?
-Love
-Helping others
-Forgiving others
-Injustice
-Human rights violation, etc

It looks like it doesn't address these aspects. Any idea on this is greatly appreciated.

tadeas

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:12:12 AM »
Love, helping, forgiving are qualities that are very likely to emerge with ongoing, functional yogic practices.

Mainly by seeing through the process of identification and gradual merging with the natural flow of life, these things resolve themselves.

With the help of practices, we open ourselves to what is, which can be called love. We dissolve the barriers that prevent it's free flow, we decontract and let go.

Our behavior results from and reflects the deeper structures within our nervous system. By practices, the deeper parts of us undergo a gradual change and that naturally results in the change of our behavior. Then there's little need for external rules. A natural, free form of morality emerges and it is related to how much we've opened ourselves up.

Hope this adresses at least part of what you've asked :) enjoy :)

Divineis

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:15:02 AM »
Yamas doesn't relate, you do :). hehe, i'm so unhelpful.

Intention's good for stuff like this. Just a plain and simple honest thought\\intention to work on the above usually lays out a nice "path" to tread down. It's just about keeping a keen eye out for situations of growth you'd normally let fly by. Seize the day as they say.

Love... that one's easy, do what you love doing, share what you're passionate about with others and listen to their passions with respect. Just plain love everything, even the part of you that "hates" things. It all deserves some attention, and usually when you take a closer look at the "ugly stuff", it's not so ugly, or there's something meaningful to be found behind it.  

Forgiving others... loving the part of you that hates things pretty much covers that one. When you can't hate hate, forgiveness starts becoming natural. It's just about having a keen awareness in moments of hate n such. Bringing that "zen" edge into everyday life, and accepting every aspect of everyday living.  

Injustice... same thing, just another thing to love, it's just a concept really though. I've been unjust to others, others have been unjust to me... now ask yourself where does it start, and where does it end(injustice)? I don't know... but I know I can do my part in "tidying up" some injustices that end up on my path... again, just another thing to love hehe. I mean, what if you knew that each and every human and each and every aspect of their personalities and what have you not is somehow all tied up into one big mass consciousness sort of thing. The bad stuff deserves your loving attention, the good stuff is your loving attention, the big bunch in the middle is a whole lotta question marks and the rest... well... I dunno about the rest haha. It just takes some self honesty. What it comes down to really is self honesty about the part of you that enjoys drama. We all have it, there's no denying it (well there is, there's no denying that haha), and then it's just watching the "process" of the ego when "bad stuff" comes your way, and seeing how you can take a "middle path" sort of attitude, by looking at both sides, acknowledging the good and bad on each side, and adding that "loving" attitude that leaves room for growth on each side (I don't want to say adding love though, it's really just... allow. Heh, I swear, some people prolly think us meditators have an on off button for happyness or love. I find that thought a bit funny, I'd say it's just getting in touch with it when it comes by... not being shy about your loving emotions. That's one I gotta work on).

I dig how Eckhrat Tolle speaks of stillness or "presence" as being basically, space in which we allow ourselves and other's to grow.  

mnavanee

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 04:24:07 AM »
Thanks Tadeas and Divineis for the reply.