Author Topic: Imagination and Breath  (Read 858 times)

AustrianYogi

Imagination and Breath
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:18:03 AM »
Hello and Atma Namaste from Vienna, Austria!

Concerning the procedure of spinal breathing I have the following questions:

1) Why do we guide the attention to the Third Eye between the brows and not to the crown chakra?

2) In a book by Elisabeth Haich (Yoga and Sex) there is written, that with inhalation we guide our consciousness to the base of the spine and upward with exhaling. So the procedure is different (inverse) from AYP-lessons. What could be the reason? Does it make a difference in regard to the results?

Thank you very much.

Andreas

tadeas

Imagination and Breath
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 10:01:35 AM »
Hello again :)

1) The reason for this is we want the purification process to be stable and gradual. Ajna=control. When we go to the third eye, kundalini energy is more directed compared with going to the crown. When we go to crown, we lose the control we have at the third eye. Therefore we wait until our nervous system is ready and only then do we approach the crown chakra with caution - more in the lessons.
Also you may want to search this forum - "ajna" and "ajna and crown".

2) Later on, there are some additions to spinal breathing which involve breath retentions and the third eye at the same time. Therefore when we've fully inhaled, we want to be at the third eye with our attention. This pretty much determines the direction.
I believe Yogani mentioned somewhere that in the beggining the direction wouldn't make much difference, but it's better to keep it simple and convenient for later expansion of your practice.

Take care.

yogani

• AYP Plus
Imagination and Breath
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tadeas

I believe Yogani mentioned somewhere that in the beginning the direction wouldn't make much difference, but it's better to keep it simple and convenient for later expansion of your practice.

Yes, thank you, Tadeas.

The lesson on this is aptly called "Which way is up?"
It is here: http://www.aypsite.com/plus/46.html

Tadeas, your advice on the crown is helpful also. Andreas, if you check the references given, you will see where the advice is coming from -- many hard-earned lessons over the years.

As for what others may advise differently in these areas, it will be good to ask them about the long term documented results. If someone knows a verifiable better way, we will all flock to it. We are not proud. Only systematic. [:)]

All the best!

The guru is in you.

AustrianYogi

Imagination and Breath
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:42:55 PM »

Thank you very much for the great contributions!

Never I would say that one system is better than another, I know that I do not know much - and this is the reason, why I am asking.

At the beginning of my professional career I was a scientist at the university (business administration) with great interest in mathematics and exact science. I know that the capacity of intellect to understand is limited, but as far as it is possible, I will ask for learning and understanding. For me it is impossible to exercise without intellectual understanding (in not already being enlightened, for me a higher understanding will come up later :-)), because without understanding I have no joy.

I am reading the lessons and the books as fast as possible, and I did not read the quoted lesson yet - sorry.

Thank you very much,

Andreas
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:54:34 PM by AustrianYogi »

AustrianYogi

Imagination and Breath
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:53:08 PM »

After further stdies concerning the attention going up and down with inhalation and exhalation, one more question is left :-):

With spinal breathing we want to arouse kundalini so that it can go upwards. Why do we go down with our attention when we exhale? We could go upward with inhalation, stay there while exhaling (or do anything else) and with the beginning of the inhalation jump down and go up again during inhalation. The attention would be at the right place for the above discussed additional features.

Why this question? For guiding the prana-energy to diseased organs, in several books it is recommanded to guide the prana during exhalation to these organs. So if there is no specific reason for going down during exhalation, my attention could cure diseases during spinal breathing, during exhaling and then jump down. A good idea???

Thank you very much,

Andreas from Austria

yogani

• AYP Plus
Imagination and Breath
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:12:29 AM »
Hi Andreas:

Spiritual integration is found in balancing polarities, and this is why spinal breathing goes up and then down. If we don't do this, the imbalance will become apparent sooner or later in the form of excessive kundalini symptoms.

As the old saying goes, "What goes up must come down." [:)]

You may find the "heart breathing" technique helpful for expelling impurities and healing. It can be adapted for the eyes or any other organ. Hopefully not to confuse, but this one goes in the opposite direction of AYP spinal breathing, having a different purpose.
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/220.html
(also see the following lesson)

The guru is in you.  

AustrianYogi

Imagination and Breath
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 02:47:12 AM »
Hi yogani!

Thank you very much for this explanation and the additional technique!

Andreas