Author Topic: Multiple Teachers  (Read 146 times)

AYPadmin

Multiple Teachers
« on: September 27, 2019, 01:03:03 PM »
Nirguna
Australia
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2018 :  6:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
Hello again.

I have question in regards to multiple teachers or gurus. I know that traditionally this is seen as a form of spiritual prostitution. Some modern teachers hold this view even at present time.

On the other hand, I know that some people had multiple gurus with no problems associated with it. Each teacher served their purpose on the student path.

I have a little dilemma about it and that is why I am expressing it here. Analogy of digging well at multiple sites comes to mind. I am hoping that some of you might bring some clarity to this.

Thank you.

Nirguna
jusmail
India
475 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2018 :  7:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
It is all about perspective. Learning does not stop just because one isn't going to school. Everyday is a teacher, every interaction is a lesson in wisdom. Let your inner guru guide you. Once you begin self inquiry, all your questions and (hopefully, the dependence on external gurus) will begin to melt. With AYP at least you have found the path. Now the mission is to utilize the learnings. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
Arunachala Bhakta
Finland
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  09:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Ramakrishna:
"THE Guru is only one, but Upa-gurus (secondary gurus) may be many. He is an Upa-guru from whom anything whatsoever is learned. It is mentioned in the Bhagavata that the great Avadhuta (a great yogi) had twenty four such Upa-Gurus."

http://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/parables/1_files/1-169.html

[/\]

SeySorciere
Seychelles
1161 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  07:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
My opinion is that if you are a beginner and running to every Guru that comes to town and switching techniques everytime you will not be making ultimate progress. Best to stick to one set of techniques until you have reached a degree of proficiency that allows you to recognise the effects and effectiveness of different techniques and for that you have to stick to a baseline for a number of years. After that you will be better positioned to gauge the effectiveness of new techniques. A person can still be your Guru without you switching to his/her technique. Example - I consider SriYukteswar my guru even if I am not practicing Kriya Yoga and a few others from different traditions. Technique-wise, however, I remain an AYPer.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
Christi
United Kingdom
3569 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  08:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Christi's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Nirguna,

You may find lesson 57 useful on the subject of having multiple teachers:

Lesson 57 - The Guru is in Me?

Christi
Go to Top of Page
jonesboy
USA
594 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2018 :  09:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Nirguna

Hello again.

I have question in regards to multiple teachers or gurus. I know that traditionally this is seen as a form of spiritual prostitution. Some modern teachers hold this view even at present time.

On the other hand, I know that some people had multiple gurus with no problems associated with it. Each teacher served their purpose on the student path.

I have a little dilemma about it and that is why I am expressing it here. Analogy of digging well at multiple sites comes to mind. I am hoping that some of you might bring some clarity to this.

Thank you.

Nirguna

If it is like in Buddhism where you can have multiple guru's yet they are all within the same tradition. One guru may teach you a new practice when you are ready.

Going from one set of practices to another is not a good idea.