Author Topic: Small gestures from the Divine?  (Read 104 times)

AYPadmin

Small gestures from the Divine?
« on: September 09, 2019, 11:08:39 AM »
Beehive
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  3:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
I am intrigued by knowing that as I am seeking (or trying to open to) the Divine through these practices, the Divine is here right now for the asking and the listening and watching, in spite of my limited yogic abilities. Do you feel the same?

When I started on this path (this time, I'm pretty sure I've been here before) my life was in a state of complete loss. In addition to seemingly bottomless fear, I had the "there must be more" experience and a deep longing for God but no longing for my lost "things". I had almost an obstinate feeling of "there is a deep joy out there and I WILL HAVE IT. But, I also knew I had maybe years of very difficult living ahead so I took long walks saying over and over to myself 'There is that within me that knows what it needs to know, when I need to know it." It was a deep comfort and those walks were special to me at the time, but maybe more special when I look back at them.

On one of the walks I was contemplating a friendship that I had mixed feelings about. She and I walked our dogs almost daily in a beautiful nature preserve, On this day I was walking alone, feeling deeply grateful that, despite some difficult moments with her, there were many special moments as well. Her love and knowledge of nature, and birds in particular, had opened me up to so many experiences I never would have had without her company. As I was feeling grateful, a Pileated Woodpecker flew right in front of my face and landed 5 feet away where it stayed for many seconds so I could completely see it before hopped up the tree and flew away.

As if that display was not enough, when I told my nature loving friend about the experience she said "That is VERY unusual, those woodpeckers are known to be elusive around people. I used to live in a Native American community and you should look up the symbolism of having a Pileated Woodpecker show up in your life". Well, let's just say that thought would never have occurred to me either. But I did look it up and the significance spoke perfectly to everything going on in my life. The whole experience was comfort and inspiration to me and made me feel less alone.

I've had many of these small but powerful experiences over the past few years. I've known I am "working", through practices, to expand my awareness. I could just explode with desire to know Oneness, to always feel the Divine love I've had small tastes of. Those many moments, during the most difficult of times, of having asked for a bit of mental "hand holding" and having watched and listened for the hand and having it arrive are true wonders.

Today, life is easier. And as it has gotten easier, I find my frustration is KNOWING that the Divine love is always there and MORE than I can even imagine but not often at my easy allowing. I want it all NOW. But today, because I'm remembering the many small comforts during the most difficult time, I am now going to ask for them to soften my frustration about my inner development. And then I will watch and listen and I'll remember one of the many quotes that also fell into my heart along the way about "the hand that is being held and the hand doing the holding are One".

kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
679 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  3:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
when we see only one set of footprints it is then we are being carried .thankyou for sharing .
Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
560 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2015 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Beehive,
The One is closer to us than our own heart, and gives us exactly what we need to get back home.
Life is full of little miracles. Thank you for sharing.
Best wishes for your journey!
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1562 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2015 :  09:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Beehive

I could just explode with desire to know Oneness, to always feel the Divine love I've had small tastes of. Those many moments, during the most difficult of times, of having asked for a bit of mental "hand holding" and having watched and listened for the hand and having it arrive are true wonders.

Thank you for sharing Beehive, and yes I feel the same. Sitting in a garden with two people talking. One was telling his problems and a butterfly fluttered by and came sitting on his chest while he was telling his story, after that, the lady was telling her story and the butterfly fluttered to her and landed on her. Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page
BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1499 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2015 :  10:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
We are the One, in the same way the waves of the ocean are the ocean.