Author Topic: Morning meditation  (Read 1384 times)

sboney

Morning meditation
« on: November 14, 2006, 12:56:29 AM »
My entire life I have struggled with the transition from sleep to wakefulness and I can lie almost paralyzed in a kind of reverie for long periods.  This means mornings have never been very peaceful and when I am up my day (and my mind) is already taking off.

This has made my morning meditation problematic. It is very difficult for me to get going and by the time I am up and moving around I am so filled with what the day holds that I cannot really sit still or really even want to.  

By contrast my evening meditations are deep and powerful since the day is done.

Any suggestions on calming the mind in the morning enough to get to a steady, deep meditation?

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Morning meditation
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 03:07:02 PM »
Adding amaroli has helped me.  That's not for everyone.  Or maybe you already do it...

Also something that helps me is smelling a slight fragrance.  I have a frankincense and myrrh spray, and I spray a little of that on my thighs and knees...so when I'm doing asanas I smell it and begin to become relaxed and absorbed in thought.  I don't spray so much that it would distract me during meditation, or irritate the nostrils during pranayama.  In my opinion, most incense would be out of the question.

Also, time.  It takes time to become proficient at meditation.  In yoga we are uniting the two opposing forces within us...so when we get closer to union and we are more balanced, morning meditations and evening meditations should be more similar.  All day long we should begin to have the same calm and present state of mind, instead of rushing in the mornings and slowing down in the evenings.  So it takes patience and dedication.

Also, performing a relaxed and natural version of alternate nostril breathing before spinal breathing is good...I do that.  By the way, I don't know what's recommended in the big AYP book for alternate nostril breathing, so you may want to check there first to see Yogani's recommendations.

Yoda

Morning meditation
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:46:55 AM »
maybe just bag out on the morning session and do a noon or midafternoon session?

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Morning meditation
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 02:21:36 PM »
Hi Sboney,

Short answer-> practice makes perfect.[;)] I would suggest not to look for the same deep and powerful feelings you get in your evening meditation. In fact not looking for any type of feeling or result is the way to go. Who can understand the full scope of the purification process. It could be possible that the most benefit takes place when the mind is furthest away from inner-silence.

The whole concept of meditation is to train the mind towards inner-silence on a daily basis. I would suggest viewing your morning session as the training ground and then when your evening session comes around you will reap the benefits from your efforts.  In addition to all of the above, the morning meditation will become better and more enjoyable over time.

good luck,

A

apatride

• http://interioraterrae.tumblr.com
Morning meditation
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »
I have a similar difficulty and when I wake up, I can lie down for several minutes (up to 60 [:D]).

The fact is when I sit for meditation, I'm still a bit asleep and I wander in my thoughts or some kind of sleepiness, much more than I do on evening meditation. Also the meditation time seems to pass very fast, sometimes it's like I've closed my eyes for 5 min but actually it's been 20.

Of course everytime I notice, I focus back on the mantra.

Don't know if it's an issue or I should just keep on going that way...

mathurs

Morning meditation
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:53:05 PM »
Apatride - if it is a concern then  the first session does not have to be done first thing in the morning. If commitments permit try doing the morning session slightly later.

apatride

• http://interioraterrae.tumblr.com
Morning meditation
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 11:17:04 PM »
I can't, I have to do it before my little boy wakes up; then it's work time and so on... on week-end I can do first session later but definitely not on work days [:I]

mathurs

Morning meditation
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:27:43 PM »
Do you shower before you start your practices?

jonesboy

• http://community.livingunbound.net/
Morning meditation
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 01:37:57 AM »
I have the same problem. Just this morning. During the session a lot of day dreaming, wandering off. Very tough to even stay on the mantra.

That is ok.

What I have found is it really doesn't matter. My intent is there. I am trying, not forcefully but gently trying to go back to the mantra.

I know it is working because I feel great. I have a buzz now in my head. I feel good, lots of energy and happy.

Don't worry about how the session goes. Don't worry about making it perfect. Just accept it for what it is. It is the results throughout the day that matters.

maheswari

Morning meditation
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 02:01:25 AM »
quote:
What I have found is it really doesn't matter. My intent is there. I am trying, not forcefully but gently trying to go back to the mantra.

I know it is working because I feel great. I have a buzz now in my head. I feel good, lots of energy and happy.

Don't worry about how the session goes. Don't worry about making it perfect. Just accept it for what it is. It is the results throughout the day that matters.

yes indeed..you got it[:)]

nookslist

Morning meditation
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 11:56:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by apatride

I have a similar difficulty and when I wake up, I can lie down for several minutes (up to 60 [:D]).

The fact is when I sit for meditation, I'm still a bit asleep and I wander in my thoughts or some kind of sleepiness, much more than I do on evening meditation. Also the meditation time seems to pass very fast, sometimes it's like I've closed my eyes for 5 min but actually it's been 20.

Of course everytime I notice, I focus back on the mantra.

Don't know if it's an issue or I should just keep on going that way...

You should have the need to do more practice of meditation. After that you will feel your sleep is better and you wake up on time without any sleeping felling..