Author Topic: Relationships & YOGA  (Read 1550 times)

ventilator

Relationships & YOGA
« on: July 02, 2006, 04:15:59 AM »
Hi all,

I have recently hit on this site and what a great forum it is. I think this is one of the most active forums on internet on yoga.

I've been meditating for an year or so. I was also into a relationship that I am not sure whether to continue or drop off. I'm a bit possessive about my girl and would prefer someone traditional. The girl I'm in love with is outgoing, modern and has friends who she likes to hang out with. We were deep in love so it is hard now to come out of it. She loves me the most and thats for sure. It is just that I need to take things coolly, and give her more freedom or space and be less attached. These are all ideal things that I want to acheive on the path to YOGA one day!! I aspire to have these qualities in me. I do realize that it is my attachedness that is bringing pain for her. At the same time thats how I was bought up since childhood and its a bit hard for me to overcome. Logically whatever she does makes sense to me (she loves me most and just want to go out with friends, be outgoing) but coz of the way I was bought up it hurts.

Sometimes I feel since anyway I am doing YOGA, I will be changing from inside and one day I will be able to take things coolly and not get hurt when she moves out a lot with friends etc... When I marry her, my progress in being cool with her behavior will be an indicator of my progress in YOGA.

Is it a good thinking? Will such a challenging relationship help me in YOGA or will it hurt my YOGA?

Need your suggestions friends.

Victor

Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 04:49:38 AM »
hard to say , but everyone needs friends, even a wife or girlfriend. It is a challanging time for everyone in regard to relationships as roles keep chaging. It is important to accept and respect your partner for being unique in their way as long as it doesn't hurt you. Love is teh most beautiful experience that one can have in this lifetime so if it is genuine then it i sworth teh challange. teh heart is often quite mysterious in who it chooses as it is not a very anylitical process. Aside from that only yoru heart knows for sure

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 05:47:55 AM »
Friend,

If she is unwilling to change for you, then she isn't worth you changing for her.

I think you should focus more on yoga, and the relationship being a tool for progress in that...rather than focusing on the relationship and using yoga as a tool for progress with that.  Being devoted to something good fosters relationships.  Talk to her about what you think about, in yoga.  Talk to her about your spiritual goals... Develop yourself!  Become truly interested in these things, instead of just being devoted and interested in her.

Girlfriends enjoy their boyfriends...the things their boyfriends care about.  Girlfriends don't enjoy boyfriends that care about nothing, and are only thinking of them...despite what stories and movies lead us to believe.  Don't devote your whole self to her, because then you won't have a self and she will feel like any relationship there is useless.  It takes two to tango...and girlfriends like to tango...so maintain who you are, despite your all consuming love for her.

In my experience, people don't like it when you change your entire life for them.  When you change your self.  They're with you because they like you, therefore, be true to who you are.  Don't change your lifestyle for them in an attempt to make them like you more.  If you feel like whining about what she does, then whine.  Express yourself.  Don't hide yourself from your partner!  Show yourself fully, so that you can know she truly loves you...figure out who she is truly, so that you can treat her how she should be treated.  Get to know eachother more, so that you can trust eachother more.

Make your thoughts clear by meditating.  Don't be scatterbrained all day, because of your love.  There's a time for love and there's a time for letting go of love...so it'd be good to let go of that for 20 minutes twice a day.  Meditate, so that your mind can breathe...stop suffocating it with thoughts about this relationship.  When you give your mind some relaxation, then you'll be able to truly contemplate what you should do in your relationship.

If her outgoingness makes you uncomfortable, then she needs to respect that.  If she needs to be outgoing to feel good, then you need to respect that.  If you can't find a comprimise, then you will either fight it out for the rest of your lives, or you will move on.

Know that your life doesn't depend on her.  Focus on things that interest you, rather than thinking about her all the time.  Don't try to make yourself unattached to her, because that will most likely not work.  That's like telling yourself not to think about a brownie....of course you will quickly think of a brownie despite all your hard work.  Instead, just focus on other things.  If your mind goes to her, then that's cool, let it...but try to develop more of a personality.  Learn about more things.

Take up a hobby.  Go out with more guy friends.  Don't do all this to forget about her, in an attempt to become unattached.  Just try to live for yourself more.  Do things that you are interested in.  If you are smart and can do this, then I think you'll find that your relationships will become easier...even if she ends up leaving you.

Remember that she can do that, and probably will from the sound of it.  I could be way off though...this is the internet and I know nothing about you.  Just know that you will be left with yourself once she does...so focus on living for yourself.

Hope you get something from this.

-Scott

riptiz

Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 06:07:39 AM »
Hi,
Well my experience of meditation is that you will become the person you are destined to become as your consciousness changes.Sometimes the biggest obstacle to spiritual practices are your friends and family as they sometimes resent the person you become.It's not that you become a horrible person, on the contrary usually the opposite but people often resent change especially if they think it is taking you away from them.By meditating we will become the person we truly are irrespective of what others want in us.We don't have a choice in this as it's an effect from the change in consciousness.Non-attachment will also come as part of this process so simply carry on normal life, treating others with respect and wait around for the changes.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'

nearoanoke

Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 06:27:26 AM »
I doubt whether it is a good decision to marry now expecting yourself to change in the future.

As Scott points out it is important that effort comes from both sides. You trying to understand her and she trying to avoid things that hurt you. That makes it "giving" from both sides -- both trying to change for each other. Lack of such an attitude can become a selfish "pulling" from both sides -- both trying to change each other. As spiritual aspirants, we can always be willing to take the first step and give, offer to try to change. And in most cases we get an equally good reaction from the other side.

Relationships teach us a lot. Learning to mingle with each other and learning to give/share/be selfless. It is a good ground for the application of rising inner silence in us. Thats one of the reasons why a married life can be better than that of an ascetic life.

-Near

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 08:23:31 AM »
1) Express to her often the things you like about her (other than the fact that she loves you), and talk often about your own interests.

2) Spend time with  people you enjoy so much that you forget her temporarily. If you can't forget her temporarily, it will eventually stifle the relationship. Girls can feel that.

3) Decide that you want to trust her and make that trust strong within yourself without depending on her to do things to strengthen it.
Sure she can shatter that trust, but only allow it to be shattered by a bombshell, not eroded away by little things.

Yoda

Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 11:15:29 AM »
If you focus on the best in others, you'll draw out the best in others without exception.  Having relationships is good training![:)]

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 12:23:44 PM »
Relationships have a way of mirroring back the thoughts we have about ourselves and therefore are an excellent tool to help us see the truth inside us.

If a loved one, friend, co-worker, family member etc. causes any reactive behaviours, thoughts or emotional responses in us, it is an opportunity to investigate and free our selves from these reactions.

Therefore to me a relationship is one of the greatest things to help you know the truth about yourself and therefore speed your progress along the path of yoga.

A

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 12:42:50 AM »
Hi V,
I am not sure I should be writing this. People have given some very good advice.. what I have to say, may or maynot fit into your life.. Anyway.. here goes..

If right at this moment.. you will not accept your girlfriend's chosen way of life, and she will not accept your ideals in life.. don't take the next step. Marriage amplifies all the negatives..  So even though after marriage she may go out less with her friends to make you happy.. it will always seem that she is not around when you need her the most. You may not say anything to let her know you disapprove so as to make her happy.. but your body language will be enough to set her off..

"Sometimes I feel since anyway I am doing YOGA, I will be changing from inside and one day I will be able to take things coolly and not get hurt when she moves out a lot with friends etc.."
Yoga takes time.. so before you are married.. if you cannot accept the situation.. after marriage, yoga will not be able to keep up..  everything around you will start going in a downward spiral.. result will be a lot of unhappiness.. he said - she said.. Yes, through this unhappiness you could gain one of the two things.. either total breakdown and surrender.. that will pull you more into your spiritual path.. or bitterness.. which is just more mud on your windshield...

Get the book "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie. Read it, and see if you are able to accept what is written there.. people either love it and live by it.. or absolutely hate it. You need to decide for yourself.. If you think you could put your situation through the "work" and accept and surrender to what is.. that could help you decide what you want the next step to be in this relationship...
I am not suggesting you break up with her, not am I suggesting you get married to her.. just wait a little longer...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 12:59:57 AM by Shanti »

ventilator

Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 05:38:27 AM »
Thanks for the good replies victor, scott, riptiz, nearoanoke, etherfish, yoda, anthem11, shanti. It has been very helpful reading all those.

shanti,

Thanks for your suggestions. Whether she goes out with friends or does things that make me feel possessive or jealous, I knew she doesnt mean to hurt me. She loves me a lot and makes an effort to leave these too, but cant help. We are basically different. I feel it is because of my shortcomings that I was getting hurt. So why not fight with myself and overcome those for her love? Thats what I thought. Dont know if it is the right thinking.

She is very attached to me and doesnt want to leave me. I know she will be shattered if I leave her. But at the same time she cant change also. Its her basic nature. Is it a good thing not leaving her because she gets hurt though I know we might not match? One of the reasons I want to change also is because if I leave her I might be causing her lot of pain and even bulding big block of bad karma which might hamper my future on spiritual path.

The reason I say bad karma is because, initially when we started the relation I was ok with most of these things. Even when she asked me, I said it was ok. I was really ok with it too. But in the beginning everything looks so happy and nice and real problems show up only after a while. Since these are somethings that I committed to initially, now taking back will surely hit on me as a karmic influence. Each tear she sheds for my love will add one more mile on my destiny to enlightenment.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 05:43:06 AM by ventilator »

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 06:50:31 AM »
quote:
One of the reasons I want to change also is because if I leave her I might be causing her lot of pain and even bulding big block of bad karma which might hamper my future on spiritual path.

The reason I say bad karma is because, initially when we started the relation I was ok with most of these things. Even when she asked me, I said it was ok. I was really ok with it too. But in the beginning everything looks so happy and nice and real problems show up only after a while. Since these are somethings that I committed to initially, now taking back will surely hit on me as a karmic influence. Each tear she sheds for my love will add one more mile on my destiny to enlightenment.

Not true. You could be accumulating far more karma by staying with her, for fear of her reaction to losing you, than in being true to what you know is right deep inside. If this is the case, it is actually more selfish of you and hurtful to her for you to remain with her than to go your separate ways.

Breaking up with her could be the best thing for her and your spiritual progress in life. Staying together could hold you and her back from greater horizons.

Communication is an amazing thing, you could always try letting her know your true feelings and give her the opportunity to be part of the decision making process.

Be true to yourself and the flow of life within you and things will work out for your highest good.

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 07:23:58 AM »
Amen, Anthem.

-Scott

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 08:24:20 AM »
Hi V,
Whether she goes out with friends or does things that make me feel possessive or jealous, I knew she doesn't mean to hurt me. - Definitely.. she is being herself.. if you are hurt.. its because you cannot accept her as she is.

She loves me a lot and makes an effort to leave these too, but cant help. -She will leave these things today.. but as you said she cannot help herself.. she is what she is.. and by asking or hinting  or just by plain body language telling her you don't like how she is.. she may change (at least for now).. but she will be miserable..

We are basically different. I feel it is because of my shortcomings that I was getting hurt. So why not fight with myself and overcome those for her love? That's what I thought. Don't know if it is the right thinking. -Nope you think wrong.. there is not such thing as your shortcomings.. you are what you are.. by trying to change you are miserable today (isn't that why you are here?)

She is very attached to me and doesn't want to leave me. I know she will be shattered if I leave her. - Love hurts.. but out of sight is out of mind.. you will both get over it.. (how old are  you by the way?)

But at the same time she cant change also. Its her basic nature. -You could not have said it better.. it is her nature..

Is it a good thing not leaving her because she gets hurt though I know we might not match? One of the reasons I want to change also is because if I leave her I might be causing her lot of pain and even bulding big block of bad karma which might hamper my future on spiritual path. -With Anthem on that.. bad karma will come when you are miserable or she is miserable.. So don't think of karma my dear.. by living in a bad relationship you will be adding more bad karma.

The reason I say bad karma is because, initially when we started the relation I was OK with most of these things. Even when she asked me, I said it was OK. I was really OK with it too. But in the beginning everything looks so happy and nice and real problems show up only after a while. - OK, my point exactly.. stuff starts out like a fairy tale.. and now you see problems.. as I said after marriage.. the problems will just amplify...

Since these are somethings that I committed to initially, now taking back will surely hit on me as a karmic influence. Each tear she sheds for my love will add one more mile on my destiny to enlightenment. - How about each tear the two of you shed later.. how much of bad karma is that going to add?

Hon, I am not telling you to leave her.. really, I don't have a clue how much she loves you.. or how much you guys mean to each other.. or how wonderful the future looks "if only...".. but when you start off a marriage with.. Oh! I am changing for her.. and she starts off with.. Oh! I am giving up being myself for him.. its not going to work.. you both have to be ready to accept each other.. exactly the way you are.. Once again.. read Byron Katies.. loving what is..

Sorry, if I sound cold.. I am a skeptic when it come to "true love".. no such thing..  Finally life is a compromise.. works best when it comes willingly from both sides.. not as a favor to the other...

david_obsidian

Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 09:06:42 AM »

So why not fight with myself and overcome those for her love? That's what I thought. Don't know if it is the right thinking.

It all hinges on what exactly these things are and whether you can 'overcome these things' or not.

And that is not something we can easily examine on the forum for you.

But I can toss up a few questions for you.  Working on the answers might help you.

Do you need a traditional girl,  or do you want a traditional girl?

You said you feel possessive.  Is this coming from a set of inherent needs within you,  part of what you are and must be,  or are you following some sort of culturally-influenced story which makes it so?  Does something tell you that committed loving women spend more time with their men and less with their friends, and if so,  is this thing telling you the truth?

Compatibility is important.  Some things can be changed and compromised over -- some things cannot be changed and you have to figure out whether there is enough compatibility to go forward or not.

Andrew and Scott and Shanti are totally right -- staying together is neither good karma nor moral,  if you are not compatible.  If you did not know that you were not compatible in the beginning, that is not your fault.  And Shanti is also right that marriage does not help to fix problems.

alan

Relationships & YOGA
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 10:56:18 AM »
Hi V.

Did you say that you were brought up to be attached? You may want to review your upbringing and decide what it is you wish to shed from your karma yoga practice

Peace, alan