Author Topic: Experiencing Emptiness?  (Read 2005 times)

Akasha

Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 07:38:33 AM »
quote:
Shanti- you've documented and related your experiences- you say these phases pass- how long do they typically last( sorry if that is a difficult question)?

You could take a  stab at my first question, Shanti. How long do these drowsiness phases typically last for? You say you've been through several over the last 4 years..Or is this a permanent feature of DM? Sorry if i'm thread-jacking here, but seeing as we're on topic[|)][:o)]

Love

Akasha[:)]

Kirtanman

• http://livingunbound.net
Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 08:01:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Akasha

he,osho, says something like saying the mantra and listening to it can keep us alert so we don't drift into  a sleep-induced state. But the rationale presented for the dm approach is presented as a technique to transcend the mind,and it's agenda.

And these are different ... how, exactly??

[;)]

Akasha

Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 03:14:52 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

quote:

he,osho, says something like saying the mantra and listening to it can keep us alert so we don't drift into  a sleep-induced state. But the rationale presented for the dm approach is presented as a technique to transcend the mind,and it's agenda.

And these are different ... how, exactly??

[;)]

Hello Kirtanman

I'll try to elaborate....

When we decide to listen to the mantra,then we are relinquishing perpetual control of the process(i.e meditation) to the Mind, it's own agenda,it's constant proliferation of thoughts, so the Mind is not transcended, as it is free to do it's thing- that means  divide,strucuture & organise our experience. We observe the thoughst bubbling up,monitor our experience,watch, rather than attempt to silence the mental eddies and thought streams  through the vehicle of the mantra, viv-a-vis , by plunging into the thoughtless state of PBC.

What always has been fudging these kinds of analyses of "experiential phenomena"( that seems like a loose enough bracket), for me, is  definitions of Mind and Consciousness.

This is my understanding(albeit unlearned as i have studied some western philopshy ,years ago now, but not eastern) Mind is subsumed by Conciousness. It is a part of it but it is not PBC- Pure bliss Consciousness. From AYP perspective mind is thought and PBC is free from thought, our natural state, thought-waves being modifications of the mind.
PBC transcends the Mind, is free of Mind.

This now i feel is a a debatable area for me, and it is an interesting  conceptual teaser..As i say,You could make the point that there might be nothing to distinguish between the two,saying and thinking,the mantra that is, on an experiential level..As it is a valid point . Are they saying the mantra or thinking it or arguably they are doing both,  both being indistinguishable. For the purposes of discussing mantra procedure/technique, listening and saying are different . But experientially they could be the same.

We could transcend the mind and it's activites by listening to the mantra  but it might seem by gently favouring saying it( that is you could also  be conceivably listening to it in the background which creates another division in the mind,separation, not dhyana) we avoid lettting or allowing Mind have it's way.

I'd really need to read Osho's book myself and try other technqiues described there or elsewhere to justly comment. So even if i knew all the conceptual philosophy to discuss i'd still need to qualifiy it with experience.

Perhaps you can clarify some of this, particularly definitons of Mind and Consciousness and how they relate.I've never been big on jnana yoga although i do get those  very satisfying nisrgardatta ahaaaaa moments when the rational mind has something to feel satiated with and it is not chasing it's tail with fruitless loop-the-loop enquiries.

In my remark I was referring to the difference between techniques. One is Oshos' suggestion(i.e  to guard against sleep by also listening to the mantra), and the other is Yogani's formulation( simply just say the mantra). The effects  being the same, more inner silence. ONly then does all this jnana yoga really make sense, as it were.

What does it mean to transcend the Mind-?- in ayp terms it is to reach PBC, a place where inner silence is resident.It almost seems like it is a place of nothingness or "emptiness" as Carson or Lahiri mahasaya put it.("emptiness and euphoria"/inner silence and ecstasy)) beyond  space & time , an invisible no-place,awareness ,consciousness beyond Mind, thoughts, constrictions,divisions and endless labelling.

How would Osho have explained it- well i  have'nt read enough of his books which i guess i'll get round to at some point, as well as  'I Am That'. I used to believe he was a quack-  like willaim blake he's just misunderstood.

You will have got by now that i was referring to practical differences in technique, not theoretical. Any superifical differences boil down mainly to a matter of interpretation,what we mean when we talk about these experiences.

So the osho technque might transcend Mind but just listening to the mantra may be less effective than saying or a combination as osho suggested..In some ways just listening pre-suposses some mantra  vibrational tuning has already been undertaken, if that makes any sense. That the mantra  will mysteriously emanates ,of it's won free will ,from the  Source or well of inner silence.

---------------------------

Yogani said himself  in that V. informative thread I reference above that Osho was not big on mantra meditation- it was not his forte( 'focus of his teachings'), he was a “liqourice allsorts” teacher- these are all my words btw. I find that at once surpising ( though I trust Yogani's knowledge) that he was not up on mantra meditaion given his supposed classic 'Book of Secrets' which i've never  read btw( i'll get it off ********** :@))but   covers the  full gamut(or a lot perhaps), spectrum of meditation techniques( 104  or so, for every type of individual) I am surpised that he is not up on it but I can also understand why  he might  have not liked  or favoured such a practice either. I remember the 3 months rule/suggestion too- or was it 40 days- perhaps that was it. And those videos on U-tube paint this charismatic figure that literally looks like an alien from another planet( another side-effect of enlightenement perhaps :@)) he would say-' try it ,see what happens,what resonates with you' or something like that. Like a cross between a sheik and the ambassador of neptune.[:D]

I like Osho's message, soul & style,his heart; he sounds a liberated individual  free of  neurosis or societal ,repressive atiitudes, not anally-retentive,  if I can use that word here, or prudish...He is his own master-he does not follow the herd. In short, one of the cool folk[8D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeEDKBxkNgM

Hope this makes sense..

Konchok Ösel Dorje

• http://www.vajrayoga.org
Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 03:07:21 AM »
The topic is experiencing emptiness...

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 03:16:57 AM »
Found out today that it is not just my own dogs that enjoy meditation with me....I am taking care of a friends dog this week so that she can act in a movie, and during this mornings meditation all three of the dogs in my house decided they needed to be with me during this time.  When I sit to practice I have one dog on each side (one of which usually decides at some point that my thigh is her pillow) and now my friends dog who decided today to lay at my feet and rest her head on my shins.  They were all completely quiet and still for the whole 40 minutes.  This is not only a miracle, but it is completely unheard of in my house.  My dogs are "territorial" to say the least.  When my friend brought her dog over last night there was a monstrous scrap and her dog ended up with a nice cut on her snout.[:(]  (My friends dog is also a little aggressive and this is why I am watching her since no one else feels comfortable doing it).  So anyways, this is the first time that we (my wife and I) have had another dog in the house, so needless to say, last night was very action packed.  But this morning, at least for the time while I was meditating, all three dogs were quiet, laying (basically) next to each other and were in perfect Silent harmony.  So my conclusion is that yes, indeed animals are sensitive to a silent meditative consciousness.  

Sorry this is off-topic, but I started the thread so I am really only threadjacking myself[;)]

Love,
Carson[^]

Konchok Ösel Dorje

• http://www.vajrayoga.org
Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 05:16:53 AM »
What's awesome is practice in the woods or in a park and all the little critters flutter and scurry near by, like an audience. It's the love.

CarsonZi

Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 05:20:01 AM »
I find that I attract more insects then anything when I practice outside these days[;)]

Love,
Carson[^]

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 06:37:29 AM »
quote:

quote:
Shanti- you've documented and related your experiences- you say these phases pass- how long do they typically last( sorry if that is a difficult question)?

You could take a  stab at my first question, Shanti. How long do these drowsiness phases typically last for? You say you've been through several over the last 4 years..Or is this a permanent feature of DM? Sorry if i'm thread-jacking here, but seeing as we're on topic[|)][:o)]

Love

Akasha[:)]

Hi Akasha,
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Each person is different and what my experience is is not necessarily a map for anyone else's experience.

But for me the longest one I think was about a 2-3 weeks. Else on an average they generally last about 1-4 days for me.

Before it was an experience of really falling asleep... losing consciousness. Now I am completely awake inside. I am aware of myself. But lose track of time. When I come out of these deep meditations, it takes me some time to feel my body back and realize where I am. Also, I experienced my daughter calling me, but it sounded like it was from far away, another room, it was like I was deep inside a cave and my daughter was calling from outside the cave.. when in reality she was right next to me. It took maybe a fraction of a second to come out of meditation, but felt like I traveled through many layers.. and I shouted "yesssss".. and she was "whoa.. mom .. its OK I am right here".[:D]

CarsonZi

Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 06:50:59 AM »
Hi Shanti[:)]

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Before it was an experience of really falling asleep... losing consciousness. Now I am completely awake inside. I am aware of myself. But lose track of time.

Is there still a mantra during these "time loss" times?

quote:

When I come out of these deep meditations, it takes me some time to feel my body back and realize where I am.

Yeah that was exactly my experience as well.  And the body felt very "foreign" for a while too.

quote:

Also, I experienced my daughter calling me, but it sounded like it was from far away, another room, it was like I was deep inside a cave and my daughter was calling from outside the cave.. when in reality she was right next to me. It took maybe a fraction of a second to come out of meditation, but felt like I traveled through many layers.. and I shouted "yesssss".. and she was "whoa.. mom .. its OK I am right here".[:D]

Hahaha....super funny[:D].  Sounds totally similar to what I was experiencing as well.  I have no idea what my dog did (to make whatever sound it was) but I bet if someone had been speaking to me it would have been just as you explain.  Thanks for sharing!

Love,
Carson[^]

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 06:54:32 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Shanti[:)]

quote:

Before it was an experience of really falling asleep... losing consciousness. Now I am completely awake inside. I am aware of myself. But lose track of time.

Is there still a mantra during these "time loss" times?

As far as I can tell.. yes. But I am not 100% sure.[:I]

CarsonZi

Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 07:06:51 AM »
Ah....that explains everything[;)]

[^]

Akasha

Experiencing Emptiness?
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »
quote:
Hi Akasha,
Sorry for the delay in replying.

You can take all the time in the world Shanti[8D]--- I'll always be there for you.Though I figured you knew that anyway[;)]

quote:
Each person is different and what my experience is is not necessarily a map for anyone else's experience.

True, though i'd expect the practices to affect folk in similar ways,even if the "matrix of obstructions" is unique for every person, the characteristic cycles and symptoms are likely present in us all.Thank you for shining your lantern so brightly, for the benefit of us all.. I was looking up 'sleepiness' in the archives(05-6?), after DM ,where you said the cycles passed but gave no indication of time-scale.Then I chanced upon this thread,and others experiencing similar stuff.None of us are alone here...we are all made of the same stuff!!

quote:
But for me the longest one I think was about a 2-3 weeks. Else on an average they generally last about 1-4 days for me.

I imagined the cycles were longer, but thanks for that.

quote:
Before it was an experience of really falling asleep... losing consciousness.

I've yet to experience this.Actually falling asleep.Perhaps the odd couple of times leaving....but  in the beggining it was more like -where on earth did i just go there?  
quote:
Now I am completely awake inside. I am aware of myself. But lose track of time. When I come out of these deep meditations, it takes me some time to feel my body back and realize where I am.

Is that inner silence you are aware of-Emptiness/Nothingness??
 I also think of it as an infinitesemallly small point too( Beyond space & time)

quote:
Also, I experienced my daughter calling me, but it sounded like it was from far away, another room, it was like I was deep inside a cave and my daughter was calling from outside the cave.. when in reality she was right next to me. It took maybe a fraction of a second to come out of meditation, but felt like I traveled through many layers.. and I shouted "yesssss".. and she was "whoa.. mom .. its OK I am right here".[:D]

The metaphor of the cave made me think of Plato's Allegory of the Cave where he suggests the world of the senses is not the real world but ca be understood purelt with mind.Except, It's interesting that meditation can take us beyond even Mind( concepts, and inward sensing), a world even more profound perhaps, more True @*)-  Consciousness undisturbed by thinking & conceptual overlay. ------Don't know if that makes any sense..........[:D]  Also,you can think of it this way,in patanjali terms- it is going, with DM,like from limbs 1-8, outer to inner, and back again- pratyanhara is like the gateway limb or the entrance to the Cave,the in-between state, when you come to...come round, out of DM.When the eyes descend,then open and  the magical freshness and innocence of the new world ,free of concepts(divisions), awaits

I am certain that you're a great mother Shanti,wise & loving.Your children are blessed, as are you,as are all of us here with your presence.It is a pleasure

As for this,losing the mantra, perhaps you have reached a real fuzzy level eh?

quote:
As far as I can tell.. yes. But I am not 100% sure.

Losing track of time, now this sounds familar from a few years back.- this is inchiing towards samadhi-type depths. You know Shanti, i used to meditate fror 3 hours stretches once upon a time ,and  i'm not exagerrating when i say it often felt like 20 mins top, 10 mins if that.In fact ,more like, time stood still. I  also tried gazing at a mandala of my own inspiration/design( a yantra i think they call it)- an image( like the one YOgani)in on a square  peice of laminate with one of these black marker pens(no colours) but i think after a little experimentation it freaked me out.I think i'm not entirely sure what i saw but there might have been something creepy about it.But the long meditations on PBC were effortless and time literally stood still.

Shanti, it is a pleasure converse with you ,as always[:I]

So don't worry about late replies,early replies....ppfffft ....any reply is good enough for me.

And i hope i did'nt offend anyone by post-jacking, or whatever you want to call it[:o)]

There is plenty of forum real-estate here for every meditator to roam free in AYP free land. I won't even mention the "B" word,perhaps that's a dirty word, or the rainbow-colouured thread. (I am interested in learning about Buddism or as much as i can prioritse but i favour like some of us practice/contemplation over conceptualisation.Experience over words/analysis.Show me actual concrete practices- then my ears light up but mention abstruse terminlogy  that sounds slightly chinese -dharmkayaka- see, i can't even say it[:D])

Mother Shanti- you're like the Hen with the Golden Eggs,
Guardian of of all our Dreams
All our Hopes.

I know i'm rambling. I must'nt do that.

Good Night ,dear Shanti[:)]

Yeah,The story of your kid(s) is'cute'.
I can picture what you're talking about.

[;)]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:30:47 PM by Akasha »