Author Topic: My cat is the best guru  (Read 944 times)

emc

My cat is the best guru
« on: December 09, 2007, 07:19:54 AM »
My cat is the best guru - a quote I heard from someone. Cats are wonderful gurus, teaching unconditional love and integrity.

They also respond immediately according to the law of attraction. And I must confess: I'm stuck in a mind loop that manifests again and again, and don't know how to get out. The cat is trying to teach me something, I just can't see what or how to stop this.

I have a nervous cat, former maltreated, whom I took care of. She peed in my bed from the start (10 years ago), was very disturbed mentally and was very depressed. Perfect mirror![:)] I was determined to love that behaviour away and I have been very successful in periods. She has improved from peeing everyday to only pee when somethings goes out of routine. She can be totally ok for months and then suddenly pee in the bed.

Since I saw The Secret I have started to see a one to one relationship between my thoughts/worries about her peeing and her actually peeing. When I don't care or forget about it, when I truly relax and welcome it to happen, then it doesn't happen. I thought I had solved the problem for good! [:)] But then... life is there to test me as usual. Of course it happens sometimes even if I think I'm home safe and haven't thought about it at all for a while... I come home and find the bed wet. Then what happens is that I get irritated again and it all increases in frequency accordingly!!!

The problem is, I find it very, very difficult to not be irritated and to truly welcome it. It's a lot of job to clean the mattress and remake the bed all the time.

"The more attention I give the problem the more it will increase".

"What you resist persists."

Yes. How can I NOT pay attention to a bed being peed in? I HAVE to remake the bed and clean it. And I find it darn difficult to do that without emotions when I come home tired after work.

I have now tested a "middle way", to cover the bed with a plastic sheet and only a cover on top. It gives me less job to clean, but that means I still resist!!! The problem is not gone, is it?

Anyone recognizing this and has any good tips on how to solve it?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 07:22:01 AM by emc »

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
My cat is the best guru
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:07:44 AM »
Hi emc

I've had feeling of irritation today, not with a cat, but a human[:D]

I too find it difficult to deal with it on the spot. I am planning to do some of Katie's "the Work" on it http://www.thework.com/ResourceIntroduction.asp
I know you are very familiar with this. Hopefully doing the work on it afterwards will help for the next time it happens, or at least lesson it a bit at a time[:)]
Have you seen this:?http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=1457#27712

Wish you luck[:p]

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
My cat is the best guru
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:24:28 AM »
Only thing I can say is.. if something irritates you.. it is something you need to inquire into.

What you did with the plastic sheet is what I was going to suggest till I read (at the end of your post) you are doing this. That is not "but that means I still resist!!!".. that is being practical. There are certain things that bother you.. and the cat peeing on your bed even with a plastic sheet will continue to bother you.. and you can do your inquiry without having to go through the cleaning every time.

It's like having a rock in your shoe that bothers you every time you take a step.. hey some may say do inquiry and get used to it and don't let it bother you.. ummmmm.. if I take the rock out and can walk more comfortably and then inquire into the situation.. well.. don't you think that may work better?

You need to be in the best possible space you can be and then inquire.  If you are in the middle of a loud arguments and it is really disturbing your peace.. you try and remove yourself from there first and then do inquiry.. if that is not possible.. you try and tune out and do inquiry.. and if that is not possible either (cause the argument is aimed at you).. you then do the best you can with what you have.
Does this make sense?
Just because you are into Yoga, does not mean you cannot be a practical yogi(ni).[:I]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 09:24:55 AM by Shanti »

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
My cat is the best guru
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 09:30:21 AM »
emc, I was just reading Amma's biography  and saw this passage:

Some years later recollecting all these incidents she expressed these thoughts: "How blissful where those days! Strangely enough those animals could understand my feelings and act on them, If I cried, they would join me in crying. If I sang they would dance in front of me. When I lost my external consciousness they would crawl over my body. All the traits of various animals can be found in human beings. When one gets rid of attachment and aversion and attains equal vision, then even hostile animals become friendly in one's presence."
[:)]

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
My cat is the best guru
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:46:24 AM »
Why not close the door to your bedroom?

Byron Katie said something along the lines of:

"If you approach a dog for the first time and it bites you, it's the dog's fault, if you approach the same dog a second time and it bites you again, it's your own fault."

Of course, if there's no door to your bedroom...[;)]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:50:34 AM by Anthem »

emc

My cat is the best guru
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 06:11:20 AM »
[:)] Thank you Louis, Shweta and Andrew!

Perhaps this needs some more info...

First, I'm not irritated with the cat, really. The cat is doing what it's doing, and finding out the correlation with my mind took away all irritation that was there before toward the cat. Now, the irritation is solely towards me. I'm the one not getting it! I have very high demands on myself - I should be able to solve this by now - a conviction that is obviously not true since I'm not solving it.

Because the anger is towards myself it's hard to do the Work. It's not recommended to do on oneself, hard not to dive into more self-judgement if you start go down that road!

(Louis, I have a comment on the link about the secret, but I'll post it in that thread instead.)

Shweta, thank you for the angle "I'm just being practical", that felt nice. And I agree, it definitely needs to be inquired... but how?

Andrew, you are right there... It IS my own fault, that's the guilt and self-judgement there! I sometimes close the door as well, but since I live in a small flat I'd like to give my 2 cats as much space as possible to move around in. And... what's worse - my cat can actually pee anywhere. Mats, kitchen table, bathroom floor instead of in the litter box. So I clean up here and there. It's the bed that's worst to clean, though...

I heard about someone having this bad problem, and they found out eventually that the cat was old and senile. My cat is 16, so that might be the case... But I don't really think so, since the correlation is so obvious with my thoughts.

What has been working best is if I send my cats lots of love energetically during the days, and with the thought/intention:

"I give up - I can not control where you pee. I just trust you will pee where you have to. Universe makes no mistakes." Then she doesn't pee!!!

Then I forget to send love and to surrender. I think it's "over and done" and forget about it since the problem is not there anymore.

Then she suddenly pees again.

I feel I'm sort of on the right way, but the coin has not dropped yet...

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
My cat is the best guru
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by emc

What has been working best is if I send my cats lots of love energetically during the days, and with the thought/intention:

"I give up - I can not control where you pee. I just trust you will pee where you have to. Universe makes no mistakes." Then she doesn't pee!!!

Then I forget to send love and to surrender. I think it's "over and done" and forget about it since the problem is not there anymore.

Then she suddenly pees again.

I feel I'm sort of on the right way, but the coin has not dropped yet...

Are you sure, you not sending the cats love, is what makes them pee on your bed?

Can you be absolutely sure?

How would you feel if you did not have that thought (guilty that you are not sending them love because there no longer is a problem and/or Guilty that you are getting irritated at yourself for getting irritated at the situation?)

Can your turn it around?

... and ....
Can you drop this thought?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:56:40 PM by Shanti »

emc

My cat is the best guru
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 06:39:32 PM »
Ah, thank you, Shanti! Good point there! I'll work on that one! Didn't see that thought! Thank you for helping me with my blind spots!