Author Topic: Timing meditation into twelve-hour shift pattern  (Read 737 times)

Jack

Timing meditation into twelve-hour shift pattern
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
I work for the ambulance service on the telephone.

Twelve hour shifts. Two days, two nights, four days off.
It's a half hour bike ride to work, I usually leave home at about 05:15 to get to work on time.

Day 1 - Work 06:00 - 18:00
Day 2 - Work 06:00 - 18:00
Day 3 - Work 18:00 - 06:00
Day 4 - WOrk 18:00 - 06:00
Day 5, 6, 7, 8 - off

I'm struggling to keep a regular routine at all.  How would you time it with shifts like that? After I get home, I literally have a glass of milk/small meal and pass out until work the next day.

Any advice appreciated. [B)]

Will Power

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »
Hi Jack,

when I asked Christie about when to practice in the evening considering that I got home after work tired and hungry,his reply was to meditate first, then lay down, then eat and after that go for a walk to help the digestion.

However in your case you might have to adapt it, I don't know.

[/\]

adishivayogi

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »
ive worked over 100 hours a week and am about to be going back into that type of lifestyle. i don't plan on it getting in the way of my sadhana as i have always gotten it done before.

Chakburthi

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 03:12:33 PM »
I am constantly traveling around the world through different time zones, so I appreciate your challenges. My couple of suggestions are: (a) working shifts like this is unhealthy and somehow inhumane. I also think this lifestyle results in mood swings and even can cause depressions. You may consider, if at all possible, to find a different job.
(b) Possibly you could try to have two shorter sessions, let's say 30 min total time each including rest during your regular days, but on your four free days you may be able to incorporate a full routine plus a solo retreat on a couple  of days.

However, this approach has not been verified here, it is just what I would probably try to do...

SeySorciere

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »
I would suggest that you meditate only on your days off and cultivate your bhakti during the hours of your work which is already an excellent form of service. During working hours be Aware and pour compassion into this service you are doing. That is as good if not better than sitting practices (imo)

[/\]

Sey

NoDogma

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:38:02 PM »
Although twice a day practice is most recommended, if on some days you can't do it then you can do just  few SBP's even at work (even while standing). No need to be in Siddhasana for doing this. It can be done sitting in a chair. That keeps the continuation.  I believe this is mentioned somewhere in the lessons but I use the word 'believe' because I am not sure.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:21:04 PM by NoDogma »

Anima

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 11:02:19 PM »
Hi Jack,

Sounds tough... Hang in there. You will find what works best.

[3]