Author Topic: Procrastination/Resistance  (Read 1109 times)

LittleTurtle

Procrastination/Resistance
« on: September 05, 2006, 11:38:45 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here and I'm enjoying all the forums and wonderful posts. Such good info! I've been a meditator for some years now, but an ongoing problem is procrastination. I really don't understand it. I have a deep desire and interest in yoga and all things spiritual yet being consistant with practice is so difficult. Having said that, I enjoy my practices when I do them and I have managed to work on myself discipline enough to at least meditate several times a week and I try to add asanas and pranayam etc as much as my inclination allows me. It's just that there seems to be a basic resistance there that I can't quite root out. I would appreciate any ideas, help, insights, experience. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:59:19 PM by AYPforum »

weaver

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 12:00:56 PM »
Hi LittleTurtle and welcome to the forum!

As you have probably read already on this site, in AYP it is considered very important to do the practices twice a day for the best results. In the beginning you could start with very short sessions just to get the body and mind into the habit of doing it consistently no matter what. After a while I think the habit itself would make it much easier not to procrastinate. Without this consistency day in and day out the mind always finds reasons to just wait a little, do something else that might be more interesting or that may seem urgent. Then, after a while, you could lengthen the sessions a little gradually. AYP deep meditation is considered very efficient even with very short sessions.

LittleTurtle

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:44:37 PM »
No.. the effort or length is not the problem..perhaps habit is. Still not clear on why this is.

david_obsidian

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 01:49:07 PM »
Hi,  yeah,  some procrastinators have a difficulty starting something but do quite well once they get started.  best solution: just do it.  Second best: pretend you only have to do it for one minute but stay for 20 once you get started.

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 02:52:46 PM »
quote:
No.. the effort or length is not the problem..perhaps habit is. Still not clear on why this is.

Great advice above.

It can be very subtle and hard to catch, but somewhere in you must be a thought of pain or discomfort, nuisance, effort etc. (of some kind) when you think about doing your practices. The opposite could be true as well, a thought that surfaces which suggests something else might be more interesting or desirable to do. The trick comes down to viewing practices in the most positive light, then you will never hesitate to do them, why would you, what else could bring you more pleasure unless you decide it could?

Listen to your thoughts the next time you think about doing your practices and see what comes up. If you become aware of the one that is deterring you, ask yourself if it is really true, you can change your thinking and procrastination at this moment.

good luck with it[:)],

A

LittleTurtle

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 12:04:20 AM »
Thanks for the posts everyone! I'm just gonna have to work on it a little harder I guess. And Anthem 11 I think you may have something there. I'm going to try your suggestion.

Alvin Chan

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 08:57:03 PM »
I am going to offer a different piece of advice here, just in case everything fails.

I am one of the most extreme procrastinator: for many years I couldn't go to bed early, even though I know it's good for me in every aspect. I stay up til 2 or 3 am and wake up at 7:30am. I have nothing to do, actually. My body just resist to go to bed. Of cause that turns out to be very bad for my brain and body. It's just one example of my procrastination.

Now, as I gained more experience, I found that it's go to not be so serious about it. Otherwise, my body will resist even more. I just do what I have to do at the moment, without the feeling of being obliged to do so.

If you don't want to meditate, don't force yourself to do it. At least for a few months, and then build up the practice gradually. Forcing, at least in my case, seems to build up more resistence.

LittleTurtle

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 12:43:51 PM »
Thanks Alvin. Yes, a good deal of guilt has come to me about this problem. Guilt is no good.

Kyman

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 05:15:06 AM »
LT, My guess is that the procrastination is linked to some current lifestyle habit.  It could be as simple as the first few thoughts you have while waking up from bed to the time of the day you eat and sleep.  It can go deeper with the activities you do, what their consistency is, and who you engage with to experience them.

You can view procrastination not as a problem but as a symptom.  Procrastination then becomes a symbol or sign on what to do next.  The real problem if you will, or at least the issue you create by zeroing in on certain aspects of your life.  

I've experienced that challenge many times.  My earlier years were marked by these symptoms, but thankfully, they became signs for me.

Wish you the best.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 05:34:30 AM by Kyman »

AYPforum

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 04:59:19 PM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement