Author Topic: Money and Yoga  (Read 4836 times)

Jim and His Karma

Money and Yoga
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 06:00:55 PM »
Tonight -

Not sure we disagree. My point is that escaping dire poverty feels great, but beyond that, as you expand wealth, there's little satisfaction. Where you draw that line isn't so crucial, and, anyway, it depends on many variables - size of your family, housing/food expenses where you live, etc. A family of five living on $75K/year in San Francisco or Manhattan is indeed perched just barely above poverty. A single person in Oaxaca, not so much.

Wherever we draw that line, numerically, my point stands (and you don't seem to disagree with it). The issue isn't the number, it's whether we have enough to be fed, healthy, and warm. There are powerful forces in our society urging us to keep climbing the ladder as far as we can PAST that point (and I forget myself and get caught in that plenty, myself), but if one pays careful attention, it's clear that this is the ultimate curve of declining results. I've tried, in this thread, to explain why that is.

tonightsthenight

Money and Yoga
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 03:41:08 AM »
totally jim, i think we can agree that the underlying principle is not about specific sums of money, but rather all the basic needs being met.

i would like to see basic human needs met for every person on the globe.  i think we could do that with the right leadership.

these are the last days of the sovereign nation state and the last days of predatory capitalism.  i am hopeful that change for the better will come, because change is coming no matter what.

ADLAI

Money and Yoga
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
Hello Friends,.....
I am new to this forum and I want to say,.. Thanks for the sharing

Yuri

Money and Yoga
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 01:35:12 AM »
Very, very intereting topic. Seems I'm couple of years late to this discussion[:)]

quote:
IMO., if a yogi has a choice, it's wiser to go for a profession that gradually leads you to job satisfaction and a feeling of mastery, rather than professions where money itself is a driving force

IMO., whenever you happen to be rich in the 'lottery' of life, try to detach from it, perhaps give off enough to some living creature/s in need, and when you're poor, try to detach from it as well; you never know what happens the next day.

HathaTeacher, thanks, very clearly put.

As for the original idea of Jim - hmm, it sounds nice, but where is the line? Let's suppose, a guy can buy Mersedes. Mersedes is a luxury, ok. What about Ford? Or better buy only second hand car? Or not buy a car at all, because it can save 5 lives on this planet?

Is it better if we don't eat strawberries, because a lot of people can't afford bread and butter?

I think there is a difference between a saint who really does not see/feel the difference between himself and other people, and most of us who still are strong rooted in the world of relativity. To refuse oneself from strawberries and new car - will not make us saints. On the contrary, first we shall become saints, and therefore refuse from new cars and strawberries. Or perhaps - not refuse - because we will see that this is the same - to have them or not to have them.

Certainly, this is not against the idea of moderate living. If we have money excess, it does not mean we shall buy what we really don't need.

Ataia-Yoga

Money and Yoga
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
You are right and I totally agree with you. If you have lots of money that doesn't mean that we shall buy those things which we really don't need.

rothandy

Money and Yoga
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
YEs After reading this post Idea to earn money is suddenly stuck in my mind .. To earn money with yoga.