Author Topic: the latest episode of my soap opera  (Read 1699 times)

Radharani

• http://www.francisandclareyoga.org
the latest episode of my soap opera
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
Well, friends, for those of you who have been following my soap opera of “trying to make a living in the Redneck Riviera,” here is the latest update (sorry, it’s long!):  

(For the whole story, see previous threads,
 http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=11474 "yoga with horses," and
http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=12263) "no $$ in yoga"

I have been advertising my cleaning & design company since mid November with zero results. Just a few jobs, mostly painting, for family and friends.   All I would really need is 2 or 3 steady weekly customers for house cleaning and I could make ends meet.  I will do yet another mass mailing to “upper income households” in the near future and hope for the best.

I continue to work as a “psychic” in lieu of being able to use my psychology M.A. to practice counseling.  I did go back to school last year and got my Pastoral Counselor certificate as well as Holistic Wellness Counselor, neither of which has resulted in jack sh*t.  I signed up with a couple of online consulting services, one of which had a $50 application fee, and have gotten no clients.  The “psychic” job is fine although I get tired of playing Fortune Teller and again, the work is not steady and it doesn’t pay enough to make a living.  So, I went crawling back to one of my previous transcription jobs (not medical, just general like business notes, interviews, etc.) and they said, “Welcome back, we’re glad to have you!”  That was 10 days ago and they have had no work for me yet; in any case they only pay around minimum wage or less.

Meanwhile 4 fancy new studios have opened at the beach since December 2011 which offer classes for $5, some for free.  I have pretty much accepted the fact that I can’t make a living teaching yoga in this town and decided to offer classes on a donation basis, maybe go non-profit, when my tenant moves out of the house we built in June 2013 and use that for my new studio.  But obviously I will have to do SOMETHING to pay the mortgage, insurance, property taxes, etc.  I’m still trying to figure out what that will be, since I can’t seem to get work even though I have a Master’s degree and am willing to scrub toilets.

We found a roof leak in our trailer home recently and on going up there over the weekend, discovered that mice had chewed a hole in the shingles (I can hear them happily chewing up the ceiling and walls at night) and while we fixed that spot, it turns out the entire roof is basically falling apart and needs to be replaced, (as does part of the floor), which we can in no way afford.  Meanwhile my husband owes thousands in back child support and taxes despite the fact that he works at hard labor, often 7 days a week, and makes so little that he qualifies for food stamps, and if he doesn’t find a way to pull more $$ out of his ass, he will go to jail.

And yet here I am madly in Love, enjoying the Divine Romance, doing my yoga, and trusting that “everything will work out somehow,” while we fall deeper into debt.  The ongoing saga is so crazy that it’s almost amusing.  In the back of my mind I think maybe I ought to be really worried; however, I can’t seem to get myself too worked up about it and in any case, what good would it do?!  I am already doing everything I possibly can, and worrying won’t help.  It’s actually kind of exciting and/or freeing from a spiritual standpoint; like, I’m free falling but I know I’m in God’s hands.

AumNaturel

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:34:29 AM »
Have been following your posts on the situation with it all. It is insightful, and thank you for taking the time to share it and to keep us updated. I do hope the situation gives way to some new opportunities soon!

HathaTeacher

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:52:49 AM »
I too hope you'll find a way.
If it's a yoga-place project to host donation classes primarily, then what about crowdfunding it on FB...

Fingers crossed, [OM]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:57:21 AM by HathaTeacher »

Radharani

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

Have been following your posts on the situation with it all. It is insightful, and thank you for taking the time to share it and to keep us updated. I do hope the situation gives way to some new opportunities soon!

thanks so much!  really appreciate your support.

Radharani

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:25:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by HathaTeacher

I too hope you'll find a way.
If it's a yoga-place project to host donation classes primarily, then what about crowdfunding it on FB...

Fingers crossed, [OM]

thanks!  what is "crowdfunding"?  I need to generate at least $800 per month in addition to what I am making now from my various little odd jobs.

Bodhi Tree

• http://www.codyrickett.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Radharani
I have been advertising my cleaning & design company since mid November with zero results. Just a few jobs, mostly painting, for family and friends.   All I would really need is 2 or 3 steady weekly customers for house cleaning and I could make ends meet.  I will do yet another mass mailing to “upper income households” in the near future and hope for the best.

Greetings Radharani,
Just wanted to throw an idea in your direction re: trying to get your business off the ground.

When I was in San Francisco area for a while, I actually worked for a roofing company that acquired clients primarily by door-to-door greetings. I was one of the "lead generators" that walked through neighborhoods looking at houses that might need restoration/repair. It was a highly successful company, but I didn't work there for long because I found something else. But, I learned that, ultimately, face-to-face communication and personal contact is far more powerful than any other form of advertising/marketing.

So, though it seems shameful and low-class to some, that method of "door-to-door" is still used with great success. And people are pleased when they find out you're not selling magazines or cosmetics, but rather a more fundamental service (like roof restoration or house cleaning).

Whatever happens, you're in my prayers, and I really admire your honest and persistent spirit.

Namaste. [/\]

Radharani

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

quote:
Originally posted by Radharani

Greetings Radharani,
Just wanted to throw an idea in your direction re: trying to get your business off the ground.

When I was in San Francisco area for a while, I actually worked for a roofing company that acquired clients primarily by door-to-door greetings. I was one of the "lead generators" that walked through neighborhoods looking at houses that might need restoration/repair. It was a highly successful company, but I didn't work there for long because I found something else. But, I learned that, ultimately, face-to-face communication and personal contact is far more powerful than any other form of advertising/marketing.

So, though it seems shameful and low-class to some, that method of "door-to-door" is still used with great success. And people are pleased when they find out you're not selling magazines or cosmetics, but rather a more fundamental service (like roof restoration or house cleaning).

Whatever happens, you're in my prayers, and I really admire your honest and persistent spirit.

Namaste. [/\]

Dear Bodhi, thank you so much for your input.  We do a lot of "face to face" in that my husband gives out my cards to numerous people he encounters in the course of his construction & flooring work.  I give them out to everyone, everywhere I go.  But as for "door to door," I absolutely refuse to do that, because I f*kin HATE it when people do that to me!!

Thank you for your prayers and kind words.

Will Power

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:41:08 AM »
dear radharani,
thanks for sharing. I agree with hatha teacher's idea of crowfunding.
by the way, do you still keep your 2 horses with you?
have you tried looking for jobs everywhere in the country? perhaps using online job search webs? although it may mean that you have to sell the horses/properties

anyway all the best for you, much love [/\][/\]

Radharani

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

dear radharani,
thanks for sharing. I agree with hatha teacher's idea of crowfunding.
by the way, do you still keep your 2 horses with you?
have you tried looking for jobs everywhere in the country? perhaps using online job search webs? although it may mean that you have to sell the horses/properties

anyway all the best for you, much love [/\][/\]

Please tell me, what is "crowdfunding"??

I still have the horses.  I was not able to find a good home for them.  I would have to sell my property in order to move someplace else, but I tried for a year and nobody is buying.  Anyway the prices here in NW FL are so low, that even if I could find a buyer, I would not be able to afford to move.  So I'm kind of stuck here.  Plus my elderly father lives here.  

As for "jobs" elsewhere in the country, I'm not really qualified to do much other than teach yoga.  Also I have a health issue (CFIDS) which would interfere with full-time employment.  I was actually deemed "Permanently Disabled" by doctors in California in 1992, but my SSDI was denied when I moved to Florida.  I have managed to recover with the help of herbs and holistic medicine (the doctors were amazed!) but I still have some bad days and my immune system is not normal.  I certainly would not be able to fly somewhere for an interview or anything.

Thank you so much for your kind words!  [/\]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:07:24 PM by Radharani »

Will Power

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:55:55 AM »
Hi Radharani,
I am not sure of what hathateacher meant by crowfunding, but what I understood by that is to create a facebook page with your project (i.e. Heart of Yoga by Radharani or whatever you like), share your experiences with yoga and ask for donations and give your bank account details or a way to pay with paypal.

what about teaching yoga via videoconference, with skype? nowadays with tablets /laptops it s more easy to follow an asana or yoga class.
you could advertise it in a facebook page or a web page with the facebook icon "like", so that it s easily known over the internet. you would ask for a donation (bank transfer/western union/paypal) that would take place after the class. if you ar not paid, then no more classes for that person

keep the moral high, yes we can! [:D]

Radharani

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
quote:

Hi Radharani,
I am not sure of what hathateacher meant by crowfunding, but what I understood by that is to create a facebook page with your project (i.e. Heart of Yoga by Radharani or whatever you like), share your experiences with yoga and ask for donations and give your bank account details or a way to pay with paypal.

what about teaching yoga via videoconference, with skype? nowadays with tablets /laptops it s more easy to follow an asana or yoga class.
you could advertise it in a facebook page or a web page with the facebook icon "like", so that it s easily known over the internet. you would ask for a donation (bank transfer/western union/paypal) that would take place after the class. if you ar not paid, then no more classes for that person

keep the moral high, yes we can! [:D]

I am currently in the process of setting up a non-profit corporation which could then accept donations.  I'm not extremely optimistic about how successful this would be.  I mean, people who WANT to take my classes are not doing so due to lack of money; I guess it is unclear to me why other people would donate money for yoga when there are so many more pressing needs out there (starving children, veterans, victims of violence, etc.), but if they do that would be wonderful.

yes, good idea about the Skype!  I do offer yoga instruction via Skype on my website; so far no takers, but it's a relatively new phenomenon, so maybe...

At this point in time the "steadiest" of my 4 "jobs" is the Psychic line, although it doesn't pay enough.  I think I am going to give Keen another try, a psychic line which allows you to charge and keep higher fees.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 11:05:01 PM »
Have you ever tried examining the thoughts you have all day long? If you constantly are having thoughts that life is hard and there is not enough money, and you might not make it, those things will manifest in your reality. It comes from the majority of thoughts and feelings combined.

What i did was to catch negative thoughts and turn them into thoughts of faith in God, which brings abundance. It works!
If you are like me, you probably are already a good person taking all good actions, and just need to change one thing- the habit of debilitating thoughts all day long. It's not your fault; those thoughts seem to come from observing reality. But they are creating the future.

Will Power

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 07:29:23 AM »
well, I am sure there may be people like me that would like to attend the classes but live too far. I've just taken a look to your web and I can't see the offer for classes through skype. in the contact link I just saw a chat offer to solve questions. Perhaps you should make it more clear. People would pay for a service,like they would pay for a gym.

another idea: why don't you offer yoga retreats (short and long)? There may be people interested to spend much time in company of an enlightened one
[/\]

Radharani

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Have you ever tried examining the thoughts you have all day long? If you constantly are having thoughts that life is hard and there is not enough money, and you might not make it, those things will manifest in your reality. It comes from the majority of thoughts and feelings combined.

What i did was to catch negative thoughts and turn them into thoughts of faith in God, which brings abundance. It works!
If you are like me, you probably are already a good person taking all good actions, and just need to change one thing- the habit of debilitating thoughts all day long. It's not your fault; those thoughts seem to come from observing reality. But they are creating the future.

Dear Ether, Thank you for your input.  Please forgive my rude and cynical laughter.  You know I love you.  [3]

"Have I tried examining the thoughts I have all day long?"  um, yes - back when I used to have lots of thoughts all day long.  Isn't that one of our core yogic practices, self inquiry?  

Nowadays I don't actually sit around thinking about how terrible everything is, or "thinking" much at all, for that matter.  It's usually pretty quiet here.  Unless I am specifically working on something, my "thoughts" tend to consist of stuff like, "Yeshua, Krishna, sunshine, Love, Love, Love."  And yes, I do have faith in God, totally.  As I stated in my post, above:

"And yet here I am madly in Love, enjoying the Divine Romance, doing my yoga, and trusting that 'everything will work out somehow' ... worrying won’t help. It’s actually kind of exciting and/or freeing from a spiritual standpoint; like, I’m free falling but I know I’m in God’s hands."

As I said, sometimes I think, "gee, maybe I SHOULD be worried...?!"  But I'm not.  I generally remain in a blissful, trusting state of mind even as my material circumstances are going to hell in a handbasket.  I was quite sure that all of the endeavors described earlier in my soap opera would be very successful, and nobody was more surprised than me, when they fell through.  So, no, I really am NOT "creating" the situation by "negative thinking."

Now with regard to your belief that having positive thoughts "brings abundance" or that negative thoughts will "manifest in your reality":  Actually I believed that very thing when I was young and I practiced it most diligently and with great enthusiasm!  Only after many years in the School of Hard Knocks was I eventually convinced that it simply isn't true.  Not only in my own life, but in the lives of some of the most positive, saintly, God-conscious people that I know, all kinds of bad sh*t happens regardless of our thoughts.

Nonetheless, more recently in the last couple of years I gave the "manifesting" thing another try with an open mind, thinking that perhaps now that I'm older and more spiritually mature, maybe it would work.  Nope.  Not one bit.  So I've pretty much given up on that.  Plus it was a waste of energy and a distraction, trying to focus on making things happen materially, as opposed to just keeping my mind on God like I normally do.

I've discussed this with some of my older advanced yogi friends who find themselves in a similar situation and we can only conclude that we are burning off LOTS of karma as we get nearer to Home.  And that's totally ok.

Thanks again for caring and again, please forgive me if I seem harsh.  [:)]

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:15:44 PM by Radharani »

Radharani

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »
quote:

well, I am sure there may be people like me that would like to attend the classes but live too far. I've just taken a look to your web and I can't see the offer for classes through skype. in the contact link I just saw a chat offer to solve questions. Perhaps you should make it more clear. People would pay for a service,like they would pay for a gym.

another idea: why don't you offer yoga retreats (short and long)? There may be people interested to spend much time in company of an enlightened one
[/\]

Will,

The Skype option is listed under "Classes and Links."  Maybe I should also put it at the top of the first page?

Whether or not "people will pay" for the service, I don't know.  Classes here in town are going for $5 now.  I thought it was just a local phenomenon here in this little impoverished hick town, BUT the other day a friend in Pismo Beach, CA (a really nice, affluent area) told me classes are $5 there now, too!  I was quite surprised.  But, since you mentioned Skype, I guess people living in other wealthier countries could afford the service - since there is no geographical limitation.

People here locally are really broke and yoga is a "luxury" that most can't afford these days.  That's why I am seriously considering going non-profit (as a religious/educational organization), to meet the need for yoga instruction on a free or donation basis.  We are already in the process of setting it up.

Re: yoga retreats, I am planning to do that when my tenant moves out this summer, including tantric retreats for couples!

But, where are we going to get "an enlightened one" for them to hang out with?