Author Topic: more crying about work  (Read 1081 times)

lmaher22

more crying about work
« on: January 01, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »
I should have also added in my past post that I always fantasized about being a stand up comic. Don't know where it came from or how it got there but I had it since I was a brat. Always figured it would go away, like dreams of being a football player or boxer but it never has. Problem is now, hell, I'm in my late fifties and I still don't have the guts to even try it. I'm afraid of bombing as much as I'm afraid of makiing it big. Ideal would be if enough people laughed that I got asked back so I could hack out a living at it, making just enough to eat, pay rent and gamble.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
more crying about work
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:50:17 AM »
Well, you can be a stand up comic - a lot of places have amateur night, and you wouldn't have to worry about bombing because there would be worse amateurs than you there. And it would be easy to work from there into a more professional position; that's where you start.
But don't expect to make a living at it; it's extremely hard.
Usually it's just an ego dream if it is not something you like enough to be doing it already, consistently.
Better to examine that dream more closely, find out exactly what you think you would gain from it, and if that can be gained in any other way. If not, start going to amateur night, first to watch and eventually perform!

bewell

more crying about work
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:04:14 AM »
Imahar,  Would you like to give an example of one of funny lines you'd use in stand-up?

Etherfish, Do you speak from experience?

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
more crying about work
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:43:23 AM »
From going to see amateur night? Yes.
Never been a comic, just a joker.[:o)] But have seen interviews of them talking about how hard it is.

JDH

more crying about work
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:39:34 AM »
I've been to a couple open-mics too, as an observer.  The ones I went to, about half the people bombed.  Somebody I knew performed... they said if it's your first time or if you're a known beginner, they just put you near the beginning of the line-up and the expectations are low.  Everybody's there to have a good time, so give it a go if it's in your heart.

lmaher22

more crying about work
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »
Just as an added bonus, I checked and since the recession the line for open mic tryouts starts three blocks down the street.

bewell

more crying about work
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:00:51 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

Just as an added bonus, I checked and since the recession the line for open mic tryouts starts three blocks down the street.

Is there something funny in that observation?  It makes me think of a bread-line... people starving for a laugh.

karl

more crying about work
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

[:D] you got a laugh, get on with it.

What sort of material? We need a replacement for Bill Hicks.