Author Topic: Law Enforcement  (Read 4095 times)

Hunter

Law Enforcement
« on: April 18, 2006, 03:02:43 AM »
Greetings,
          I wonder if there is someone on this forum who works in law enforcement, especially a local police department?  I would like to find out more about the work of a police officer. It would be wonderful to find an officer who practices deep meditation and other practices related to AYP.  I would be interested to know how an officer could balance his or her work with spiritual practice in the face of abnormal situations, long works hours, and odd work hours?
I am very young and am just researching different careers right now; I am interested in law enforcement because civil service is appealing to me.  My big question is, will this career be compatible with my spiritual practice?  For example, I probably would have joined the armed forces except for the fact that I would not be able to properly practice kriyas and meditation in privacy. Thank you, Hunter  

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Law Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:40:25 AM »
Welcome Hunter.[:)]
Cannot help you with an answer.. but I hope you will find one.
-Shanti.

Hunter

Law Enforcement
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:54:35 AM »
Thank you Shanti.

weaver

Law Enforcement
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:29:45 AM »
Hello Hunter and welcome to the forum!

I am not in law enforcement, but I will attempt to give a basic answer to your question about AYP being compatible with such a career. I believe that AYP can be made to work successfully with any career or lifestyle, there is plenty of room for flexibility, and one will just have to adjust the time of practices around the schedule. This subject is discussed more in AYP Lesson 18:
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/18.html

The increased stability of mind and other positive effects of AYP will of course be of benefit within work in law enforcement, as in any work, making one more able to make balanced decisions and keeping the head cool in difficult situations.

Hunter

Law Enforcement
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 01:30:21 PM »
Thank you Weaver for your encouraging advice.  I am in awe of the AYP lessons and amazed by this forum where all I see written is loving support and expansiveness.

Yoda

Law Enforcement
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 01:36:32 PM »
Hunter,

I think you can do it.  But keep in mind, handing out speeding tickets is bad karma.[:)]

-Yoda

AYPforum

Law Enforcement
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 02:39:30 PM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Law Enforcement
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 04:40:11 AM »
The original question is quite old, but I will answer.

I've been in the military for a few years, and am deployed overseas right now.  At first when you think of a soldier or a cop (someone who has to uphold justice) you don't think they could be someone who is interested in spiritual matters...at least I tend not to!  The two lifestyles almost seem to conflict.

But they don't have to.

Each of us must do what he/she feels is right.  If that leads you to becoming a cop or something like it, then you're doing the correct thing.  We each have to translate the yamas and niyamas in our own cultural and philosophical context.

For me personally, I saw the need to help defend my country...so I joined.  I was changed when I saw my friend's child, and I wanted to protect that innocence.  To protect the peacefulness of my country that I grew up knowing.  Sure, it's got its problems, but at least a person is free to live how they choose.  So those were my reasons for joining the military.

On a day to day basis, I continually assess whether what I'm doing is in line with my spiritual ideals or if it's not.  If I'm being a kind person, and ultimately doing good things for everyone while I do my job here.

There is a bit of a problem in setting aside time to do practices.  Doing a traditional AYP practice is impossible for me, without a doubt.  My sleep schedule is completely messed up, and a lot of the time I'm busy working.  But there's also a lot of free time, so I've taken up an Iyengar style asana practice.  I've also been doing "awareness watching awareness" meditation for a few months now.  It's the most effective style I've found for me, personally, and I can do it before bed or right after I wake up.  I don't need to sit in siddhasana (that does help greatly though)..I can just lay there and do it, so no one gets all weirded out.

Alright, so those are my thoughts on the subject.  To sum it up: you can make it work, if it's meant to work for you. [:)]

Hunter

Law Enforcement
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 06:29:27 AM »
It is almost two years later and I had totally forgotten about pursuing a law enforcement career...Guess what...On March 25th I am taking an examination in order to become an officer for the San Francisco Police Department.

I was on the farm for 1.5 days and I felt that being a farmer is no longer for me, excluding my gardening hobby, and then I thought: "Now, I want to be a police officer."

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Law Enforcement
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 06:45:11 AM »
Good luck on your exam, Hunter.

Hunter

Law Enforcement
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 10:12:25 AM »
Thank you, Scott.

I am also going to start researching the FBI.
I used to read a lot about the CIA and FBI when I was 8 to 12 years old with the intention of becoming an agent in the future.
Somewhere along the way I separated myself from those desires.

Hunter

Law Enforcement
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 01:29:58 PM »
I am having such a great time with my studies and training.

I borrowed a book from the main library titled Introduction to Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice by A.C. Germann, Frank D. Day, and Robert R.J. Gallati(former police chief of New York City).

Here is the basis of the book, in my owns words, upon which all other material within it expands:

"Because criminal justice activities focus upon people, the fundamental question in any study of criminal justice is 'What is the individual?'" (6)

"If a human being is seen as a complex totality unified with the universe, decisions to act and change and move history forward will be seen as in harmony with destiny as an open system onto existence, and with capacity to enter into union with life" (11).

Holding a firm vision of the goals and purpose of humanity will better allow us to "...judge the applicability of this or that law, method, or technique" (11).

The Individual
   America is a western culture and the primary belief of western culture, as expressed in the Declaration of Independence and in our Constitution, is that all individuals are expressions or children of a universal creative force called God. It is the purpose of humans to grow into full maturity, to grow into full human personality, for each individual to find his or her own unique greatness, and to constantly learn and evolve as individuals and as a society.
(Remember, this is coming from a textbook about law enforcement and criminal justice.)

The State
In order for the people to walk the path towards their endeavors, they require a safe and free climate to grow; an environment of natural order. There is a factor called crime which disrupts the natural order and is the reason people create a state and its institutions in order to maintain natural order. Just the same, a farmer does not actually grow or create plants and fruits, she learns about the natural unfoldment of plants and assists in the process.

The law enforcement agents of the state are directly involved in the maintenance of order(I wrote "maintenance", not "creation") and prevention of crime.

[End]

It is not important whether this basis for law enforcement and state is practiced and lived in reality, it is more important to realize that this can be a beneficial guiding vision for society; the real and forgotten American Dream.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:35:53 PM by Hunter »

Hunter

Law Enforcement
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »
I am so enjoying the studying of this subject that I think I could study law full-time. In the least, I will continue to always study law on the side as a hobby.

Something I am learning as a recurring theme: It is one of the duties of law enforcement agents to find and maintain a balance between law and equity; two sides of the same "coin". Equity is what keeps it all human.

Equity: This is a great word to define and spend some time researching.

Hunter

Law Enforcement
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 06:51:18 AM »
Here I go!

Tomorrow morning (March 25th) at 8:00 AM, I am taking my police officer written examination for the San Francisco Police Department.

I have been studying my heart out for the exam and the oral board interview, which will take place at a later time.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 06:54:10 AM by Hunter »

weaver

Law Enforcement
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 07:00:08 AM »
Good luck Hunter, I'm sure you will do well! [:)]