Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 16191 times)

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
What are you reading?
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2010, 01:11:50 AM »
Reading "The Journeys of Socrates" by author Dan Millman (the guy who wrote the way of the peaceful warrior)

And the book is one hell of a read!

jean

What are you reading?
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2010, 03:39:20 AM »
I am reading "Discovery of the Presence of God: Devotional Nonduality" from David Hawkins.
Probably the best book I have read from him so far.

tantien

What are you reading?
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2010, 06:15:16 AM »
Secrets of Wilder (2nd time)
and " Re-Embodiment or Human Incarnations" by Yogagnani written in 1930
I saw the book on Ebay and bought it for $1.00.
Has anybody ever heard of this book or this author?
Guy

stevenbhow

What are you reading?
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »
Just finished The Secrets of Wilder yesterday. A lot of Shakti in that one, I think. I was a creative writing major and I've published a lot of short stories, so it usually takes a lot for a novel to touch me emotionally, but this one did one several occasions.

Kirtanman

• http://livingunbound.net
What are you reading?
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2010, 07:29:45 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

Hi. :)

"Mind in the Balance" by B. Alan Wallace

I'm reading this book for the second time.

It is an excellent book and is having quite an impact on me.

It explains so much about the different kinds of medition and practices, contains a historical perspective of the evolution of the mind, compares Christianity with Buddhism and contains several meditative practices with very clear instruction.

I would vote this book to be one of the best that I've ever read.

TI

Hi TI & All,

Just to "second that" .... I've read several books by B. Alan Wallace, including Embracing Mind and Hidden Dimensions, and highly recommend anything by him.

He has the unique perspective of someone with a Western scientific and philosophical education, and experience as a Buddhist monk. He has worked closely with the Dalai Lama as an interpreter and organizer for the Mind and Life conferences, which are an annual roundtable conference with the Dalai Lama and Western scientists.

B. Alan Wallace is not only highly qualified to discuss areas of synergy, as well as areas of confusion, between spiritual and scientific paradigms, but also contributes some unique insights (i.e. he makes points regarding both science and spirituality that I have not seen from any other author).

"Highly Recommended!"

[:)]

More info is available on his website at http://www.alanwallace.org/

krcqimpro1

What are you reading?
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »
"Messages from the Masters", "One Soul, Many Bodies"' by Brian Weiss.

Excellent book on reincarnation.Useful tips on Dos and Don'ts for a happy spiritual and material life.

Krish

stevenbhow

What are you reading?
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2010, 03:45:21 PM »
Hi Kirtanman, I finished Hidden Dimensions a few weeks ago. Fantastic book!

yogani

• AYP Plus
What are you reading?
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »
Hi All:

I recently re-read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse after quite a few years, and found it to be particularly instructive on the illusions we may encounter (and often not notice) along our spiritual path.

Recommended for anyone who feels like they have found the "inside track" on enlightenment with AYP or any other teaching. There is something else to consider. What? Read it and see. [:)]

Paperback on Amazon, or a less expensive paperback here.
Available as a free ebook from Amazon Kindle and on Project Gutenberg.
(and even an audiobook -- see all the formats listed on the Amazon Kindle page)

All the best!

The guru is in you.

maheswari

What are you reading?
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
this book was offered to me as a gift in 2006...i was in canada doing my ttc..and one teacher gave it to me...at that time i was only into kirtan,hard core asanas  and pranayama....no meditation no self enquiry....so this book did not really touch me...it was like reading litterature (at that time i dont why  it reminded me of Samuel Beckett books)
after ttc started meditating 2 times per day ....ie the real spritual transformative work...so re reading the book was very revelative

mr_anderson

• http://thejoyofdying.blogspot.com
What are you reading?
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
Currently reading:

Vijnana Bhairava: The Manual for Self-Realization by Swami Lakshmanjoo. It contains 112 spiritual practices for reaching enlightenment.

A Course in Consciousness by Stanley Sobottka - google this it's a free e-book download. He's emeritus professor in physics at University of Virginia, but I believe he also has direct non-dual realization. It puts enlightenment in context with the latest development in physics, and then goes onto a truly excellent guide to using many different jnana yoga techniques as a spiritual practice, teaching us to use the intellect to slice through confusion and ignorance.

The Transparency of Things by Rupert Spira. Haven't started this yet but: The purpose of Rupert's book is to look clearly and simply at the nature of experience, without any attempt to change it. A series of contemplations lead us gently but directly to see that our essential nature is neither a body nor a mind. It is the conscious Presence that is aware of this current experience. As such it is nothing that can be experienced as an object and yet it is undeniably present. However, these contemplations go much further than this. As we take our stand knowingly as this conscious Presence that we always already are, and reconsider the objects of the body, mind and world, we find that they do not simply appear to this Presence, they appear within it. And further exploration reveals that they do not simply appear within this Presence but as this Presence. Finally we are led to see that it is in fact this very Presence itself that takes the shape of our experience from moment to moment whilst always remaining only itself. We see that our experience is and has only ever been one seamless totality with no separate entities or objects anywhere to be found.

7 Steps to Awakening (Ramana Maharshi (Author), Nisargadatta Maharaj (Author), Vasistha (Author), Sankara (Author), Sadhu Om (Author), Muruganar (Author), Annamalai Swami (Author). This is a collection of well-organized quotes from those authors.

The Direct Path : A user's guide by Greg Goode. I dip into this one when I'm feeling very quiet and deep inner silence is present. "Have you ever done nondual inquiry and said to yourself, "I understand it intellectually but I don't feel it. It's not my experience!" If so, The Direct Path could be for you. This book is the "missing manual" to the Direct Path. For the first time in print, Direct-Path inquiry is presented from beginning to end and beyond, in a "user-friendly" way. The core of the book is a set of 40 experiments designed to help dissolve the most common nondual sticking points from simple to subtle. The experiments cover the world, the body, the mind, abstract objects and witnessing awareness. You are taken step by step from the simple perception of a physical object all the way to the collapse of the witness into pure consciousness. Your "take-away" is that there's no experiential doubt that you and all things are awareness, openness and love."

Am on week 3 of my third time through The Presence Process by Michael Brown. This is a deep journey into the heart and the tendency to react emotionally to life (with anger, grief, fear or their derivative emotions). Slowly we enter deeply into our pain body and find freedom from our habitual reactive tendencies, in many cases integrating the tendency to react, so that where once there was emotional reactivity, there is now calm, clear presence.

More and more I find spiritual practice is every single waking moment of day to day life. Mundane day to day life is really the greatest the guru we have available to us if met in the right way.

So that's my list, well that and Pandora the Vampire and Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice. Just finished Pandora, now onto Vittorio [:D]

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
What are you reading?
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2012, 11:04:35 PM »

DoctorWho

What are you reading?
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »
The Essence Of The Bhagavad Gita...Swami Kriyananda (a disciple of Paramhansa Yogananda) remembers and shares his guru's explanations on the text.

HathaTeacher

What are you reading?
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2012, 07:16:31 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
...instructive on the illusions we may encounter (and often not notice) along our spiritual path.

Very much so. I've just found out Siddharta is from 1922 (most Europoeans of the 1920-s couldn't even spell yoga or meditation...) That's half a century ahead of its time. H. Hesse was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1946
www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1946/
I didn't know that while reading the book, decades ago, but it made a deep impression; I read it only only 5 yrs. after I had added meditation to my practice.

HathaTeacher

What are you reading?
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2012, 07:25:42 AM »
Yesterday, I read a touching short story, by a doctor, on living in reconciliation, not just preaching it.  
An eye-opener on one's conditioning and preconceptions.  

For free, and handheld-device compatible.
www.gemini-magazine.com/KronemanTheLuftwaffePilot.html

amoux

What are you reading?
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
Yoga of Heart by Mark Whitwell

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Heart-Healing-Intimate-Connection/dp/159056068X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338546975&sr=1-1

and I have his new book (The Promise) due to be released on 19th June on pre-order at Amazon [:)]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/276-3803848-9014227?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=mark+whitwell+the+promise&x=0&y=0

Yoga of Heart is possibly the finest book on yoga I have yet read.  Inspiring and revelatory.