Author Topic: Maha Mudra and Maha Bheda Mudra and Om  (Read 2596 times)

Chela7

Maha Mudra and Maha Bheda Mudra and Om
« on: July 03, 2010, 04:01:08 PM »
Hello Yogani,

I am very interested in starting the AYP techniques regularly but, I have some questions.

I am currently practicing Maha Mudra and Maha Bheda Mudra of the bihar/Swami Satyananda kriya yoga.  I find these techniques very powerful and effective. Can I not incorporates these two in the AYP practices? If yes,where in the AYP routine should I put them? If no, Why not?

I know that AYP uses the "I AM" mantra for meditation, Can I not replace this with OM?
 Why or why not? Is "I AM" better than OM?

I find find very soothing and powerful when I repeat it mentally in meditation.  I would really appreciate your help.  Thank you in advanced

-Chela7

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
Hi Chela7, and welcome!

Advanced hatha methods like maha mudra and maha bheda mudra can be incorporated in our asana routine before spinal breathing pranayama and deep meditation. However, keep in in mind that asanas in general become much more powerful when integrated into a full routine with pranayama and meditation, so you may find that "less is more" for the hatha methods in this mode. Not taking this into account could lead to energy excesses. So the advice is to start slow and self-pace as necessary, keeping in mind that excesses often come as delayed reactions to overdoing in practices.

For a strategy on shifting an asana/hatha-based practice to a well-rounded approach to all eight limbs of yoga, see the Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas book. Also see this lesson from not long ago: http://www.aypsite.com/plus/409.html  

Regarding using OM versus I AM as mantra in deep meditation, these are not the same, and in undertaking AYP deep meditation it is not recommended beginning with OM. It is incorporated later in a mantra enhancement. For particulars, see this lesson: http://www.aypsite.com/plus/59.html

Of course, it is always your call. Wishing you all the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

PS: Maha mudra is included as an enhancement in the AYP asana routine in the above mentioned book.

Chela7

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 06:24:02 AM »
Hi Yogani,

Thank you For the reply.  I will try to incorporate the Mudras with out overdoing. I have another question.

I have been learn the " Energization Exercises" from the self realization fellowship organization. I have tried them for a while.  I realize that when you do them with concentration the effects are very powerful.

- I have seen other people on this mention that might dramatically speed up the purification process and kundalini awakening and would help shorten the road to enlightenment, Is this true?

-If I incorporate these, where in the AYP routine should I put them?

-Would these exercises cause overloading and undesirable results?

- would Hong Sau(ajapa japa) or Aum(nada yoga) technique of the self realization fellowship enhance the AYP techniques or just be a waste of time?

I thank you very much in advanced for your reply.

-Chela7

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
Hi Chela7:

Sorry, I can't offer much more on combining practices from other systems with AYP. The combinations are endless, and it is really up to the interested practitioner to do their own research.

When considering combining practices from two or more systems, I do offer the general caution to be careful about doing two similar practices in the same session or day, as this can lead to overloads due to a "doubling up" effect.

Reporting back in the forums on such research can be helpful to others considering similar combinations. This is best done in the "Other Systems and Alternate Approaches" forum category. The Deep Meditation/Samyama and Pranayama/Mudras/Bandhas forum categories are for support on the AYP system, not combining with other systems. Things can get muddy in a hurry when trying to mix everything together in one forum category. That may go for the practice routine also. [:)]

Btw, there have been discussions in the forums in the past on combining Kriya Yoga with AYP. Try a few searches and you can see what has been said about this before. Or maybe a Kriyban or two will chime in. If so, we prefer that discussion take place in the Other Systems forum category.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Chela7

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Chela7:

Sorry, I can't offer much more on combining practices from other systems with AYP. The combinations are endless, and it is really up to the interested practitioner to do their own research.

When considering combining practices from two or more systems, I do offer the general caution to be careful about doing two similar practices in the same session or day, as this can lead to overloads due to a "doubling up" effect.

Reporting back in the forums on such research can be helpful to others considering similar combinations. This is best done in the "Other Systems and Alternate Approaches" forum category. The Deep Meditation/Samyama and Pranayama/Mudras/Bandhas forum categories are for support on the AYP system, not combining with other systems. Things can get muddy in a hurry when trying to mix everything together in one forum category. That may go for the practice routine also. [:)]

Btw, there have been discussions in the forums in the past on combining Kriya Yoga with AYP. Try a few searches and you can see what has been said about this before. Or maybe a Kriyban or two will chime in. If so, we prefer that discussion take place in the Other Systems forum category.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Hello Yogani,

Thank you so much for your advice. I have gone exclusively into AYP practices. I am also doing amaroli(trying to get use to it day by day). Here is my current twice daily routine starting with  my configuration asanas and ending with AYP practices:

Surya Namaskar—2  rnds
Bhujangasana-- 10 sec
Ardha baddha padma paschimotanasana or Janusirshasana-- 10 sec each
Ardha matsyendrasana --10 sec each
Uddiyana/Nauli –10 rot. each
Sirshasana or Sarvangasana-- 2m
Tadasana  or  Halasana and Matsyasana– 10 sec
Shavasana --2m
Spinal breathing – 10m
Yoni mudra – 5m
Deep meditation-- 20m
Rest – 5m

Please let me know what you think.  Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Chela7

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 03:31:03 AM »
Hi Chela7:

It looks very good. I see you are making good use of the AYP writings. [:)]

Let your experience be your guide for self-pacing and sculpting your daily practice routine for ongoing good progress with comfort.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Chela7

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 06:40:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Chela7:

It looks very good. I see you are making good use of the AYP writings. [:)]

Let your experience be your guide for self-pacing and sculpting your daily practice routine for ongoing good progress with comfort.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Hi Yogani,

Thank you very much for the advice. I have a few particular questions.

1.)When doing janusirshasana on each side and then paschimotan asana,as in Maha mudra, should I do it three positions once or three times as in traditional maha mudra?

2.)When doing shambhavi mudra in spinal breathing, I don't knit the brow and my eyes are upturned and half closed, is this practice ok?

3.)When doing deep meditation and the mantra, do I close my eyes and just stare at the darkness in front of me or do I gently lift my half closed eyes as in shambhavi mudra?

Thank you in advanced for your reply.

-Chela7

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 08:35:21 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Chela7

1.)When doing janusirshasana on each side and then paschimotan asana,as in Maha mudra, should I do it three positions once or three times as in traditional maha mudra?

2.)When doing shambhavi mudra in spinal breathing, I don't knit the brow and my eyes are upturned and half closed, is this practice ok?

3.)When doing deep meditation and the mantra, do I close my eyes and just stare at the darkness in front of me or do I gently lift my half closed eyes as in shambhavi mudra?

Hi Chela7:

1. The baseline instruction in AYP is once for each posture, with a hold of about 10 seconds. If you are expanding into mahamudra with breath suspension (not recommended for beginners), or other expansions of asana practice, self-pace as necessary, keeping in mind the possibility for delayed effects.

2. The knit brow in sambhavi is instructed in AYP to be so slight as to be invisible. However you approach sambhavi in spinal breathing is fine.

3. Eyes closed in AYP deep meditation. Easily favor the mantra over anything visual, or lack of anything visual. [8D] If sambhavi or other mudras naturally creep into deep meditation without any intention, that is fine, but we do not intend to do anything in deep meditation except the procedure of deep meditation. Very important.

All the best!

The guru is in you.