Author Topic: Alternating the Nostrils  (Read 719 times)

marty1499

Alternating the Nostrils
« on: November 07, 2009, 09:53:52 AM »
I am new to the website/forum.
Before spinal breathing pranayama, I do a few minutes of alternating nostril pranayama, a practice I've been doing for many years.  
Is there any discussion of this technique on the AYP site?

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Alternating the Nostrils
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:03:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum Marty.
It has been discussed many times but i don't know where.
Hopefully someone else does.

Victor

Alternating the Nostrils
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 10:03:53 AM »
alternate nostril is a good practice, I would continue if you like it. Once you do AYP practices for some years you will probably be able to do alternate nostril breathing with no hands!

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
Alternating the Nostrils
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 10:23:54 AM »
Hi Marty,

Welcome to the forum.

It isn't in the online lessons, but Yogani has published the first hundred or so of the main lessons as the "AYP easy lessons for ecstatic living" book. When he did that he made some additions to some of the lessons. He covers Alternate Nostril Breathing in the addition to lesson 41. Fortunately, you don't have to rush out and buy the book as he very kindly posted the addition in the forum here:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=4139#35423

Christi

Holy

Alternating the Nostrils
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »
Didn't know that Yogani did this kind of breathing for 15 years =P I am sure that this precleansing had some delayed positive effects after his switch to SBP.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Alternating the Nostrils
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
"AYP easy lessons for ecstatic living"
I would still buy the book though. It's good quality and has a LOT of good information in it.

miguel

Alternating the Nostrils
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:35:14 AM »
Thanks yogani for sharing this tool.more people shared with us this tool also i think,so...thank you also.

I always felt i missed some sbp,but impossible to practice it due to powerful energy arising here.
Otherwise,after some months of only meditation here,yesterday i tryed some spinal breathing and the session was really pleasant and with very spiritual feelings inside.I felt my energies being balanced trought all the main central channel to the rest of my nerves.
But inmediatly overload began after two sessions so i stopped.

Today i have decided to begin with alternate nostril and it seems more soft practice like it has been said.

I feel relaxed,more pleasant than after sbp i think,and maybe this is a better aproach here.I needed some breathing exercice before meditation cz i need to move the acumulated energies.
It gives more dinamism and smooth purification process.

Science of breathing is amazing.Effects are really noticable,more than with dm.After sb sessions i feel really strong,healthy,relaxed...wow...thanks god

alternate nostril breathing is a powerfull practice for sensitive people.I clearly feel the good effects of pranayama,but softer than with sbp.Im really glad to discover this tool.

May all your angels be here.[:D]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:11:36 PM by miguel »

Akasha

Alternating the Nostrils
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
Hi Miguel.

1.   I used to do (exclusively i mean)-

inhale- left
exhale- right
inhale-right
exhale-left

completing 1 round, and so on.

You can do this mentally.  

----

2.But you can also do-

inhale & exhale 3-5 times one nostril,
then switch to inhale exhale 3-5 times the other

completes one round, you can do up to 3-5 rounds although one is enough
 --
I think the latter  way(2) can mean one is less likely to favour a dominant nostril, so regulate the prana more equally in ida & pingala.

Observe and see how you feel afterwards.

You might feel this stablises  and centres, feeling-wise,  before, should you wish at some point, returning to spinal breathing practice.

Also,Just observing the flow at the nostrils( the nerves are supposedly very senstive at the top end), or some sources say the bridge ( between), might  be a more gentler practice.

(Edit- i've also talked about identifying the dominant nostril elsewhere too, which, i feel, could be helpful to you.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:05:00 PM by Akasha »

miguel

Alternating the Nostrils
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »
Hi akasha and thanks,

Particulary i am using now the first aproach.

But..

quote:
I think the latter way(2) can mean one is less likely to favour a dominant nostril, so regulate the prana more equally in ida & pingala.

Why? i would like to know the reason.

returning to spinal breathing...mmm...i think alternate nostril is my breathing practice,and i feel it very powerful also! this morning after dping it i feel so much activation and excitement,and heat energy running!
An im doing only 2 mtes before meditation.
Meditation practice after was really pleasant and reached a gap of samadhi and feeling my self being melted in to a bright pure white light expanding light in all directions from the middle of my head area (this was the location,more or less i think).That light produced tons of bliss and ecstasi.But it only was a glimpse.Im reaching good deep spiritual new feelings lately.It means development,and its good[:)]

I think maybe i will reduce i bit breath meditation from actual 10 mtes to 9 and see what happens,cz im realizing breath practice is very necesary here.

quote:
Also,Just observing the flow at the nostrils( the nerves are supposedly very senstive at the top end), or some sources say the bridge ( between), might be a more gentler practice.

can you explain this better,i dont understand very well this practice.Is new to me.Sounds atractive.

And i will read about identificating dominate nostril.Will help also.

Thanks for your time and helping hand.[:)]

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:44:09 PM by miguel »