Author Topic: Yoni Mudra and Golden ring?  (Read 4672 times)

alwayson2

Yoni Mudra and Golden ring?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 07:55:12 AM »
Carson, you are a powerful yogi.

I don't understand why this golden ring is not found in ancient Hindu texts.  Its really frustrating.  I know its in Yogananda's stuff, but thats not ancient at all.

Wafu

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 10:51:44 PM »
Hi all,

The thing I find unusual about this thread is that no one has yet chimed in with a remark about how to we are not supposed to become too attached to the scenery we experience during practices. Surely the objective of yoni mudra should not be to see the golden ring? I've noticed the star/ring quite frequently and when it appears I'm naturally inclined to focus on it, as it brings pleasure.

Looking back and reviewing the lessons, Yogani states:

"in yoni mudra kumbhaka, our attention is brought to the point between the eyebrows for the entire period of retention of breath, until we go back down the spinal nerve on exhalation."

But how should we be using our attention exactly? Since the ring/star seems to appear at the point between the eyebrows, is it fine to focus attention on it?

Any insight into this would be great [:D]

Thank you

alwayson2

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 11:25:23 PM »
Where exactly is the star?

Between the eyebrows?

In the middle of the forehead?

Wafu

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 05:43:19 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson2

Where exactly is the star?

Between the eyebrows?

In the middle of the forehead?

I suppose it's seen in the area between the eyebrows when looking from the inside, it seems to appear in the centre of the field of vision when the eyes are held in the shifted position used in YMK. When I've seen it it looks like a point of intense but not blinding white light in the centre of the ring. It's had quite sharply defined edges at time, so it looks like a tiny circle. It's very inviting and pleasant to look at. It's not so much a star as a tiny circular keyhole in a door that the curious watcher can't resist peeking through.

What I am wondering is whether or not we should focus on gazing directly into the star, and strive to see beyond it, as it were. Or just ignore it and keep the attention held levelly on the point of space we imagine between the eyebrows. It's hard to ignore the sensations that looking at the star produces, but I have a feeling that to do so would be better practice.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:49:31 AM by Wafu »

alwayson2

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 06:48:44 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Wafu
I suppose it's seen in the area between the eyebrows when looking from the inside

I guess I have been looking in the wrong area.  

I had been looking in the middle of the forehead.

Tibetan_Ice

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 02:17:36 PM »
Hi :)
I have a few comments about this.
First, I admit, I've never tried Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka. I don't like putting pressure into my head or pressing on my eyes. Pressing on the eyes causes lights and visual phenomenon that is strictly biological, (you are really stretching those rods and cones causing small electric charges to be released which causes the lights and patterns to appear. I believe doing this too frequently for prolonged periods of time can damage the eyes.)

Secondly, please try this experiment:
  Seat yourself in front of a blank white or light colored wall and look straight ahead. Next, slowly cross your eyes and keep going until you are looking at the place just above the tip of your nose.
You will see a dark spot. Or rather, you will see two dark spots converge until there is only one dark spot.

Guess what? That is the blind spot in both eyes. By crossing your eyes, you are converging both blind spots and then looking (or focusing your attention) through the blinds spots.

And guess what? Without any effort, by just crossing my eyes, I see golden light in the blind spots.

My question to you is this: How do you know that this phenomenon has any spiritual significance?

Ok, so maybe you point the converging blind spots at the brow (or third eye area behind the brow). Still, it's easy to be fooled into thinking that there some spiritual significance in this practice. I believe this phenomenon is strictly a biological phenomenon called looking through the blind spots and has no spiritual signficance.

Third eye sight does not depend on focusing the eyes. I admit, focusing the eyes at whatever you are trying to focus on helps a lot to control your attention, but at some point you have to let the "looking through the eyes" go because it grounds you in coarse every day consciousness.

The third eye works on it's own regardless of where the physical eyes are pointing. Third eye sight is a matter of attention.  

About the golden ring:  Yes, there is a golden ring. When your outer-world attention has dissolved through pranayama and deep relaxation and you find yourself in that state that feels like you are deeper than dream state, floating inside the sushumna, a golden ring appears. It seems to originate from the heart. And guess what? You can move that golden ring up and down the sushumna using attention and will. When you do, it is as if the sides of the ring reflect the planes of the chakras that you are passing the ring by. Perhaps it isn't even a golden ring, but the sides of the sushumna that just look like a circle because the sushumna is like a hollow tube.

When I move the "ring" straight upwards, then I can see a star through the ring, but I think it's just point of view. You don't need to see the star by looking through the ring. You can just focus on it. That star is directly above the head, straight up.

The other thing I will say about this is that if I spend too much time moving the ring up and down the sushumna (like I sometimes do during spinal breathing), it is very easy to overload: Sun burnt face and hands, heat through the body, bodies splitting apart at random times during the day, general disorientation and dream-like consciousness... So I don't do that often.

The method I use to see that golden ring is, during spinal breathing, to shift the attention straight down the sushumna from the inside (instead of visualizing the suhumna as if my locus of attention were near the front of the head looking downwards and backwards). Pretend you are right in the sushumna, directly above your heart and then move your attention down to the root. Then I 'pull' the ring upwards along the straight path of the sushumna. At first, when I first discovered that I could do this, I had much trouble getting the ring to go higher than the base of the skull. There were some blockages there. You also have to reverse your point of view at the junction of the medulla and then go upwards, or outwards if you are going towards the brow. That is how I do it.

Hopefully what I have written here will make you consider whether what you are seeing is biological phenomenon and mistaking it for spiritually significant, or if it actually has any value.  

Comments?

:)
TI
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:41:29 PM by Tibetan_Ice »

garlic

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 12:46:46 AM »
Sorry to sound ignorant but what is YMK?

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 01:31:18 AM »
Hey Garlic [:D]

Here is a link to the Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka lesson: http://www.aypsite.com/plus/91.html

Enjoy!

Love!
[^]

idiotegue

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 01:54:21 AM »
Hi TI,

interesting points. When I started doing YMK, my eyes felt a bit strained but now it's settled and I didn't notice anything wrong with them.
I would like to hear more feedback on this. Have you also noticed any strain or did a longer practice of it cause any problems?

Cheers!

CarsonZi

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 02:19:29 AM »
If you are feeling strain in the eyes from pushing on them in YMK then you are pushing too hard.  It is a "gentle nudging" with the fingers on the eyes....there should be no strain.

Love!
[^]

alwayson2

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 12:45:02 AM »
Carson where do you focus your eyes for the ring?

A.  Middle of forehead

B.  Right between the eyebrows

CarsonZi

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 01:02:41 AM »
Hey Alwayson [:D]

I don't "focus" my eyes at all.  I do sambhavi mudra (which sometimes is such a subtle movement that I don't even know if my eyes physically move at all) and let the vision go internal.  During SBP I follow the sushumna with my internal vision and in meditation I let my "focus" go completely and just "am" (in) Silence.

Love!
[^]

Kriyaban

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 03:09:58 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson2

Carson, you are a powerful yogi.

I don't understand why this golden ring is not found in ancient Hindu texts.  Its really frustrating.  I know its in Yogananda's stuff, but thats not ancient at all.

its found in the Gita. but you have to have the translation from a spiritual practice point of view. email me and i will give you the location of the books that can be bought over here in america. if they are out then they will come from india in english. will explain everything.

carson is right. dont look or search for it. matter of fact one shouldnt "want or expect" it. this is desire and thats not how it is done. practice should be done without expectation of fruits. if you have no desire for the result then you will "see" it much brighter in my experience.

one also has to understand what exactly you are seeing. many things have already been discussed. it is different for everyone but that sun or star that is bright and golden or yellowish is extremely important. it is considered the soul by some. the dark dot in the middle is sometimes considered to be the spot that is eventually entered. Anu means molecule but from a spiritual yogic interpretation it is the Kustashta dot or bindi/bindu. This dot is considered the subtlest of the sublte and once there you should lose yourself and become that dot. the Godanu or Brahmanu is beyond that which is attained after further practice, at least from our point of view.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:47:07 PM by Kriyaban »

NSB

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 09:17:49 PM »
As per TI's comments I tried out YMK. Not for the first time but it is not my usual practise. I did see the golden ring, not sure if I would have picked it out if I had not been aware of the potential for it. I don't think it was just pressure on the optic nerve because I was pushing and jiggling my eyeballs and the visuals were moving around as you'd predict, but the ring was unaffected by this and did not move at all.

southsaturn

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
While googling around I was tickled to find this very cool website, and more specifically, this topic. Since the age of like 2 or 3 I've seen this ring upon waking in the morning. When I was that little I used to call it the "cloud", and I would say it's alive and has a "cloud family" living inside. I also said it was "god's energy". Alas it's rare to see it these days for me, I go through periods ever so often where it returns, my heart must not be operating efficiently these days : (