Author Topic: Amrita = Serotonin?  (Read 886 times)

ycloutier2000

Amrita = Serotonin?
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:07:07 AM »
I am wondering if the sweet subtle taste that can be felt sometimes could actually be serotonin dripping down from the brain?

The reason I am wondering this is that about a month ago i had to be put on antidepressants.  I really couldn't handle them so i was only on them for 3 days.  But what i found was that a side effect was that i was tasting this subtle sweetness that i had felt before during my practice.

For the next few days it would come and go more often than ever before.

Now i have been taking st john's wort and i am getting the same thing - tasting the subtle sweetness dripping from above.

Since antidepressants and St johns wort both increase serotonin, i am wondering if amrita is acutally serotonin - biochemically?

Any thoughts?

(also let me know what has worked for you for depression!)

divinefurball

Amrita = Serotonin?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 08:52:24 AM »
Dear ycloutier2000, check out Jana Dixon's interesting Web Book, The Biology of Kundalini. She talks about seretonin and many other aspects of brain chemistry in relation to Kundalini awakening and development.
See: Biology of Kundalini - A Science and Protocol of Spiritual Alchemy
www.biologyofkundalini.com
Thou At Cat Divinefurball

YogaIsLife

Amrita = Serotonin?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:59:36 AM »
Hi ycloutier2000,

About depression. Regular deep meditation has helped me quite a lot but I guess you tried that already. A bit of ecstatic energy flow might help a bit but I guess it must be gently stirred and very self-paced.

I am talking from my own perspective. I understand no depression is exactly like any other. In general I think meditation is not bad if not overdone.

You can also check this thread for help. (read further from the begginign for some nice tips and insights into depression and/or negative thoughts):

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=1016&whichpage=1

All the best.

anthony574

Amrita = Serotonin?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:35:21 AM »
things that helped depression for me were

marijuana and LSD: helped me at my pre-yogic state see myself from a third-person perspective. you cannot really both BE depressed and BE witnessing your depression from a witness standpoint.

sports and fitness: sports can be a great boost to your mood, especially weight-lifting for me. it is actually known to increase good hormones and is a great emotional cleanser.

good diet: eat well, feel well. i think a lot of depression nowadays comes from eating poor diets. especially eating a poor diet and KNOWING that you are. creates quite a rift.

many others, but those have been main ones for me. you have to watch things like writing poetry and art in my opinion because it really just fuels the ego. a good book for you might be The Power of Now by Tolle. depression, like any other egoic state, cannot take you over if you are stable in the witness state. yogani's deep meditation cultivates the witness and Tolle's book (and yogani's self-inquiry book) offer how to cultivate the witness during the day also.

i suffered depression all throughout my teens. it wasnt until i started breaking all the conditioning of my ego. for me that was done through psychedelic drugs like marijuana and lsd. of course if you are not ready for them or comfortable they are not necessary - the point is that they broke my ego apart and forced to me really look at myself from the witness standpoint. you can cultivate this through ayp which i think is key. stick to ayp!