Author Topic: Abdominal Workout + Uddiyana Bandh  (Read 1147 times)

Ecdyonurus

Abdominal Workout + Uddiyana Bandh
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 02:23:44 AM »
It makes sense to think of bandhas as being more physical in the beginning, and that they become more subtle once physically mastered. The same applies to every yoga practice (take even simple asanas: we learn them as a physical process, but soon they become subtle). But the physical aspect does not disappear, it is just not so dominant because se don' need to think about every single movement anymore and are able to focus on more subtle aspects.

PersonX

• http://www.crister.tk
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 04:59:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

...@PersonX - Note that you are mixing Kriya instructions with AYP instructions. In SBP you are to breathe in, in one go.

[3]

Sey

Sey,
tonightsthenight explained my point in his P.S. note correctly! :)

What I'm trying to say is, by regular and PROPER practice of asana, kriyas, mudras and literally anything and everything under the yogic science, one is able to make his Para-Sympathetic Nervous System more and more dominant than the Sympathetic Nervous System which gradually allows them to breathe more and more deeply with a proper flow without gaps.

One simply cannot do this [breathe efficiently] while the SNS is dominant because that's how the body works and this is the BIGGEST obstacle one has to face when one decides to enter the realms of yogic science. It was at least my biggest obstacle. :P

And I say 'PROPER practice' as in some asanas stimulate the SNS instead of the PNS so they are to be practiced in conjunction with their counterpart asana which will stimulate the PNS. :)

NOTE: Staying in the PNS mode triggers healing processes [proper mitosis because of proper breathing etc.] all over the body. There's info on that too. :)

- Px
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:08:28 AM by PersonX »

Ecdyonurus

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 05:52:56 AM »
HinPersonX,

Both modes (SNS and PNS) are good because each one has its own purpose. Problems arise when imbalance occours. When one is on SNS all the time, stress related diseases soon appear. A dominant PNS may cause depression. The key is to develop the abity to switch from one mode to the other. Yoga has great tools for that, as you said about some asana which brings you toward SNS and others towards PNS.

tonightsthenight

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

HinPersonX,

Both modes (SNS and PNS) are good because each one has its own purpose. Problems arise when imbalance occours. When one is on SNS all the time, stress related diseases soon appear. A dominant PNS may cause depression. The key is to develop the abity to switch from one mode to the other. Yoga has great tools for that, as you said about some asana which brings you toward SNS and others towards PNS.

Exactly. Without the SNS or PNS we would be incapacitated. The crux here is balance. And we tend to live in pingala far more than is healthy in the west.

Regarding the bandhas, again exactly right. They become almost imperceptible, physically. But they are there and require a stupefying amount of core strength relative to what the average westerner is accustomed to.

SeySorciere

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 10:13:54 PM »
TNT / PersonX - I get your point.

What I have realised though is that one must pay close attention to prana to apply the bandhas correctly. So this is what happens with me instinctively:

During SBP - Head is thrown back, I inhale, drawing prana upto the solar plexus, mulabandha kicks in. I am still inhaling past the solar plexus to the throat, uddiyana kicks in pushing prana upwards,head is straight. Inhaling past the throat - tongue rolls to soft pallet,creating a direct path for prana, head start to dip forward. Upon reaching third-eye, head is now in chin-lock, sambhavi is in place (remains in place all the time). During the small pause at the third-eye,I further tweak all the bandhas to 'top up' the upward surge of prana (sometimes I add Navi Kriya). Exhalation, the head comes up, bandhas are released one by one (except sambhavi), head is all the way back by the time I reach muladhara and ready to take the next in-breath.

I repeat - this is my take on what happens, not exact AYP instructions.

[/\]

Sey

tonightsthenight

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 02:07:36 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

TNT / PersonX - I get your point.

What I have realised though is that one must pay close attention to prana to apply the bandhas correctly. So this is what happens with me instinctively:

During SBP - Head is thrown back, I inhale, drawing prana upto the solar plexus, mulabandha kicks in. I am still inhaling past the solar plexus to the throat, uddiyana kicks in pushing prana upwards,head is straight. Inhaling past the throat - tongue rolls to soft pallet,creating a direct path for prana, head start to dip forward. Upon reaching third-eye, head is now in chin-lock, sambhavi is in place (remains in place all the time). During the small pause at the third-eye,I further tweak all the bandhas to 'top up' the upward surge of prana (sometimes I add Navi Kriya). Exhalation, the head comes up, bandhas are released one by one (except sambhavi), head is all the way back by the time I reach muladhara and ready to take the next in-breath.

I repeat - this is my take on what happens, not exact AYP instructions.

[/\]

Sey

Sey, that's great. Keep up what is working! Sbp is a practice that varies from school to school and Yogani gives frank, simp!e directions so that students may find their own way. After all, we all have a unique neurobiology, so we will have unique instincts with the bandhas and mudras. There is no right and wrong here, only a combination of wise teaching and instinctual automatic movement.

The bandhas and mudras do not only contribute to the flow of prana up sushumna but also to the prana vayus. You might eventually find that the mind rests upon the bouyant heart with tucked chin, with the focus of the eyes upward in sambahvi, and mula and uddiyana continuously engaged, recycling the prana, and that inhalations and exhalations become indistinguishable from one another as the lower back widens upon inhalation and the peak of the sternum rises on exhalation.

SeySorciere

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 08:10:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

...inhalations and exhalations become indistinguishable from one another as the lower back widens upon inhalation and the peak of the sternum rises on exhalation.

Interesting. Don't think I have experienced that one. Common is breath has stopped (or minimal) and prana is flowing up and down following awareness.

PersonX

• http://www.crister.tk
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 06:06:24 AM »
Ecdyonurus / tonightsthenight :
Yes, now I understand that. :)
Its about balancing the two and once we're able to balance it, it feels wonderful to be in complete control. :)
And yes, everyday I'm feeling the bandhas becoming more and more subtle. These subtle bandhas are far more effortless yet much more powerful. :) [This is in conjunction with abdominal exercise at other times in the day.]

And SeySorciere,
Your instinctive yet systematic approach is making me want to experiment with it. I'll be trying this and post updates if it goes well.
Thank you for those details. :)

kensbikes100

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 11:01:11 PM »
While I'm only a beginner at AYP, I agree that asanas can increase one's strength.  I'm in my fourth year of asana, having taken a local and popular Iyengar class all this time.  Our teacher focuses on building flexibility and strength, within the context of the Eight Limbs.  Every so often he makes comments that seem related to the concepts within AYP, but the class is focused on asanas in Iyengar's way.  

My improved core strength is a resource for better breathing, as is the improved control over my body.  

Ken