Author Topic: Art of Living  (Read 1274 times)

joydeep

Art of Living
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:55:38 PM »
Hello everyone!

This is my first post as I just registered onto this wonderful site!

I have been practicing the Art of Living technique as taught by Shri Ravi Shankar, followed by Transcendental Meditation (TM-Basic) as taught by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. My practice consists of a few asanas, followed by 3 stages of Pranayama (using Ujjayi breath) followed by 3 rounds of Bhastrika, each interspersed by Bandhas, followed by 5 Mudra pranayamas, followed by the Sudarshan Kriya technique. After Sudarshan Kriya, I end my practice with 20-25 minutes of TM which is very similar to Yogani's meditation technique.

I was wondering if anyone else follows a Sadhana similar to the above and what have been your experiences? I would love to hear comments on my practice, especially from Yogani. My personal benefit has been calmness and reason in the  midst of adversities, but I have yet to experience any explicit Kundalini experiences (or perhaps this has been happening without my noticing?)

Please comment.

Love and best wishes,

--Joydeep

sadhak

Art of Living
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:12:33 PM »
Hi Joydeep,
 Welcome to the forum, and hope you have lots of enriching exchanges with people here.

I did TM for a short while, and I agree there is an initial similarity with the 'i am' technique. But if you practise it with the spinal breathing, the subsequent enhancements, etc.. you will note the difference. Since I have not done Art of Living, I can't comment... but have found the AYP method quite rounded off. Plus universally understandable and practicable. Which is what attracted me to it in the first place. [:)]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:13:32 PM by sadhak »

Alvin Chan

Art of Living
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 03:19:48 PM »
hi Joydeep,

How long does it take to do this Sadhana? And what precisely is the Sudarshan Kriya technique? We can exchange some knowledge here.

When time allows (which unfortunately is rare), I do some asanas, Navi Kriya 200 rounds, 3 rounds of Bhastrika, spinal breathing with mulabandha and samhbavi, Yoni Mudra (just added...), then 20-25 mins of deep meditation. It takes well over an hour, sometimes 1.5 hour. When I don't have time, just Bhastrika, spinal breathing and meditation.

I don't have explicit kundaini experience. But so far I find some good results after adding Yoni Mudra kumbhaka, like coldness in the throat area, and a focused mind afterwards. Search it out in http://www.aypsite.com/plus/91.html. But I'm just starting off, so it's too soon to tell.

Alvin

joydeep

Art of Living
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:21:13 AM »
Hi Sadhak and Alvin,

Thanks for your responses. Alvin, my practice takes an hour. The Sudarshan Kriya is essentially rhythmic breathing at 3 different speeds (slow, medium and fast) repeated in cycles. The breathing is normal, not Ujjayi. To learn it, look up this site and find a centre conveniently located to you, there may be subtleties in the teaching process which I may not be aware of. The site is www.artofliving.org.

I've been practicing TM since 1991 and added the Art of living process from Dec. 2004 onwards. The Art of Living process includes spinal breathing, bhastrika, bandhas, mudra pranayama, and Sudarshan Kriya. I added on the asanas on my own recently as its recommended to bring the energy level up before starting the art of living process.

BTW, I do the Art of Living process only once a day, TM is done twice a day, the first time in the morning with Art of Living and the second one in the evening, preceded by alternate nostril breathing.

Love,

--Joydeep

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Art of Living
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 01:32:22 AM »
Hi Joydeep,
Welcome...[:)]
Is it true that if you follow Art of living.. you have to follow a strict life style as defined by them ?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:32:47 AM by Shanti »

joydeep

Art of Living
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 01:54:59 AM »
Hi Shanti,

Not at all, there are no lifestyle changes at all, other than the practices which I've mentioned. In fact if there is one thing they do propose, it is to tread lightly along this journey, with a smile.

As with all of you, I too feel that dogma and blind practices would be a waste of this lifetime thats been given to us, to help us evolve...

I too have been searching with an open mind, and so far I haven't seen anything disappointing or jarring to the heart.

But I think it is best to focus more on the practices than the individual organizations, which is why I feel this website is such a wonderful medium!

Love,

--Joydeep

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Art of Living
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 02:08:27 AM »
Thanks Joydeep.
An aunt of mine in Kolkata - India has been following this Art Of Living.. and she had told me.. they were told to wake up at a certain time, eat a certain diet.. bath at a certain time.. do a whole bunch of things as per directions from the group. It was a definite no no for me.. I am one of those rebels.. you tell me "in name of spiritual progress.. you Have To do stop eating this, or doing that".. I run far away from that system...
Oh! well, like someone said.. rituals teach you discipline.. But I always run far away from rituals.. that may be one reason I am not enlightened yet...[:p]
Thanks for your input Joydeep.
I hope you enjoy AYP.

joydeep

Art of Living
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 02:19:06 AM »
Hi Shanti,

What you've described does not sound anything like what I've experienced. Yes, once in a while I do attend a Satsang and I've heard of some Ayurvedic disciplines mentioned, where a regimen is recommended. But thats only if you choose to undergo those Ayurvedic treatments or follow those techniques.

I for one choose to follow my heart and adopt whatever technique would help me along my journey.

Take care,

--Joydeep

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
Art of Living
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 03:36:48 AM »
Funny - when I've explained the AYP routine to the few people who have been curious enough to ask, they've thought it too rigorous and demanding a regimen.  Which I suppose it is - I mean, it's a huge commitment of time and energy, and although no one is threatening to excommunicate us if we miss a session, we all know that progress requires exertion and resolve.  Why do some people give up everything worldly and enter a monastery?  To us it seems unnecessary and extreme, but for them, their bhakti is burning so hot that nothing short of complete commitment and discipline will satisfy them.  I get it.  Not quite ready to be an anchorite, but I understand the draw, as well as the draw for unencumbered discipline with the practices.

(welcome, Joydeep!)  :)

bipinjoshi

• http://www.yogavision.in
Art of Living
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 02:56:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Thanks Joydeep.
An aunt of mine in Kolkata - India has been following this Art Of Living.. and she had told me.. they were told to wake up at a certain time, eat a certain diet.. bath at a certain time.. do a whole bunch of things as per directions from the group. It was a definite no no for me.. I am one of those rebels.. you tell me "in name of spiritual progress.. you Have To do stop eating this, or doing that".. I run far away from that system...
Oh! well, like someone said.. rituals teach you discipline.. But I always run far away from rituals.. that may be one reason I am not enlightened yet...[:p]
Thanks for your input Joydeep.
I hope you enjoy AYP.

Hey Shanti,
Some of my friends have attended AOL but I never heard something like this from them. Surprising.