Author Topic: Bastrika and Pranayama  (Read 1774 times)

Sumate

Bastrika and Pranayama
« on: December 12, 2008, 04:19:46 AM »
During Bastrika my feet and ankle area gets very heavy and tingly. My body temp comes down and I feel cold. Is this a normal aspect of Pranayama and the purification process of the nervous system. I also have some visions associated with this practice also. I await your responses?

Sumate [8D]

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:40:16 AM »
How are you sitting during pranayama practice?  Could it be that there is too much restriction of blood flow to your lower extremeties and this is what is causing this?  And yes it can be normal to experience periods of either heat or cold during pranayama.  I personally wrap myself in a nice soft warm blanket in case I get cold.  Don't worry about the visions either, just go back to putting your attention on the spinal nerve or the mantra which ever practice you are doing at the time.  Best of luck

Love,
Carson[^]

Sumate

Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:38:26 AM »
I usually sit  at the edge of a chair with the spine straight, chest out, head aligned with the abdomen, and eyes focused at Ajni between the eyebrows. I also wrap with my meditation shawl. I meditate in a comfortable room/office that has access to heat and airconditioning. The room is clean and spacoius.

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 06:19:08 AM »
Could it be that you are pinching a nerve in your legs right below your buttocks on the backside of your upper thigh that is causing tingling and a feeling of heaviness in your lower legs?

Love,
Carson[^]

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
hi Sumate, i hope you read all the stuff concerning self pacing.

start here: http://www.aypsite.com/plus/38.html

and the rest is all around the lessons, yogani stresses it a lot and it's for a good cause.

i practiced bastrika and yoni mudra kumbhaka for some time and had to self pace them both; but now i added YMK to my sadhana once again and it's all going well and smooth but i do not intend on adding SBB any time soon.

the important thing is that if you start feeling any discomfort then you should back off for a while and you can return to trying the practice at some other time.

oh and by the way, in case you didn't you should the deep meditation technique mentioned over here and read all about it.

i used to practice kriya myself and wasn't so sensitive as i am now to the practices but when i added the meditation mentioned in the system to my practice everything got accelerated...

light and love,

Ananda

Sumate

Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 11:36:01 AM »
When I sit for  meditation I don't have these symptoms, only during bastrika. I will adhere to self pacing; it's been a great spiritual journey. Thanks for the insight.

Sumate [8D]

Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »
On a side note. some may feel this sensation.
buzzing,tingling,vibrating,etc.
slightly, in the teeth,toung and fingers first off. some even in the head.
it is also experianced during a sneez by some. that chill is relativly the same thing.

this is the elusive jade tiger, who can capture the wind??
rythem and consistancy, breathing unites with energy, and the flow in and out together.
~pranayama
control of energy, threw breathing. they are not one, but two, make them one, and they will act like one.
all thats needed after this, is disaplin, and consistancy in the rythem of that disaplin.

Sumate

Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 05:00:04 AM »
Hi Avatar;

Can you elaborate more the Jaded Tiger?

Thanks

Sumate

Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »
aw my other post was deleted for stated such sensations shouldnt be done away with so quickly, or pushed aside so fast.

OK! so no with proper and more suttle writings i will explain.

the secret of the golden flower, calles it the jade tiger.
the jade tiger, is also translated as breath energy.
when during breathing, energy, and breath, have united, and are flowing together, this spirit manifests.

the tingling you described, if it hurts when touched, it is blood circulation being cut off. if it dosnt hurt, then it is the same energy in positive form. think, one is negative oxygen, the other over oxygen.

sivinanda describes it in siddha vedam as vibrating vayu. i believe he said vayu, possible siva sakthi, havta check.

anyways, it is more or less, the vitalization of the electrical princable within the body. if you accumulate a tone of this within the body, you can then exhail and hold the breath. this will cause it to become magnetic. at least these are the feelings, or sensations percieved.

i works directly with the nervouse system, and opens it quickly.

consistancy is more needed than quickness. and the goal is not a little vibrating, but a ton of it. not infinitly increasing it, but holding it at a steady amount larg amount.
i use complete in and out breathes. as it is union of breath that is needed.

i am not a master of this technique ,though i do reccomend the book siddah vedam by sri swami sivinanda. the secret of the golden flower. i also use the full yogic breath when doing this.
and more or less preform it standing up.

I relate the energy to the same energy experianced during a sneexz,bliss,or chill, but it is most easily associated with the blood being cut off. though the opposite of it.

if you learn this skill, the muscle may contract on their own with increased. but !!!! it is always warned, do not over do it, if you begin to persperate, then stop. one should always feel refresehd afterwards, never worn out. this is activation of breath energy, chi of the heart.

apologise, the post is not in best form.

ps. the sexual organ, is an open door. stimulation of outflowing energy. dont focuse on it, but be aware. union of breath. consistancy, and rythem. their will be a point were u feel like u no longer want to breath, at this point if u stop, youll simple not breath or breath slow for a long while, go past this, and the vibrating just may start.

dont expect the vibrating every time. good luck.

Sumate

Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 02:17:08 AM »
Thank you Avatar

Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 06:11:40 PM »
Siddha vedam is the book you want.

siddha vedam
the monksha soothram
by his hioliness
swami sivananda paramahamsa
founder of siddha samaj

third edition
published by general president
siddha samaj head office

I just started reading this book. it explains it in their.

and ive just realied i need to learn how to tame this energy that is like a wilp lion or elaphant, befor i learn to circulate it.

try doing it standing up. becouse it is true, u want to make sure their is no blood circulation cut of, and it is true vibrating energy. of corse i have found vibrating is easyer during lotus pose, but i find the position uncomfortable. and if i cant learn to do it in any position, standing or sitting, than its not truly masterd

abhijit

Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »
avatar hyou practiced siddha vedam and what is your experience of it and does it awaken kundalini

Bastrika and Pranayama
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »
what is your conception of kundalini?

as well. i am not on here much. if you would like to talk through a different medium let me know.