Author Topic: Alternate practice  (Read 583 times)

goldbear43

Alternate practice
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
I cannot do Mulamudra due to a serious knee injury.  Can anyone suggest an alternative practice to substitute  in its place?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:45:36 PM by AYPforum »

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
Alternate practice
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:25:35 PM »
Hi Goldbear and welcome to the forums[:)]  

Could you please describe the practice of Mulamudra in detail, I tried a quick google search but only found results to Mahamudra.

Love,
Ananda

goldbear43

Alternate practice
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:37:27 AM »
So sorry!  I was up early, typing in the dark and obviously misspelled Mahamudra.  That is the practice I was referring to.  Sorry!

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
Alternate practice
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:25:37 AM »
I am no expert on Mahamudra.. Now that the point is clear maybe another AYPyer who has knowledge could help. I suggest you edit the topic title to an alternate practice to Mahamudra.

Peace

goldbear43

Alternate practice
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »
It's a good suggestion Ananda---Thanks

woosa

Alternate practice
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:23:50 AM »
Hi Goldbear

Well I think the only way you can do mahamudra without bending your knees is to have your legs straight out in front and touch your toes. You could have a rolled up sock under your perineum where your heel would be (if you were doing mahamudra.

Not sure if that would work. You are leaning forward and doing the mudras and bandhas the same. But its still not mahamudra!

But, I reckon, an easier alternative, would be to do Yoni Mudra Khumbaka. Everything is similar except you are not leaning forward.

It's like me, I have rubbish shoulder mobility so I can't do the easier version of the headstand or chakrasana. But I say oh well, there are plenty more powerful practices to do instead.

bewell

Alternate practice
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 01:20:20 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by woosa

Hi Goldbear

Well I think the only way you can do mahamudra without bending your knees is to have your legs straight out in front and touch your toes.

Yes, that's closer to mahamudra than the feet on floor, seated in chair alternative I had suggested.

goldbear43

Alternate practice
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:28:08 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try the rolled up sock idea.  I actually did try something similar but didn't stick with.  I may try again.  Your ideas are greatly appreciated.