Author Topic: "Levels" & Models of Enlightened Consciousness  (Read 4511 times)

Tibetan_Ice

"Levels" & Models of Enlightened Consciousness
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 01:19:15 PM »
Hi emc :)
quote:
Originally posted by emc
I can assure you it's possible to wobble in and out of that - that's what Adyashanti's "The end of your world" is all about, and thank God for that book, it brought back my sanity.

Now that you've read that book, would you say that the void is similar to what Adyashanti describes during his awakening as that vast emptiness where the little stars shine, where his simultaneous lives were occuring?

:)
TI

adamantclearlight

• http://www.adamantclearlight.org
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
How many words does it take to point to the mind's real nature? Zero.

emc

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 03:14:18 AM »
Kirtanman, I enjoy trying to reach an understanding here! Thanks for your responses. [:)]

quote:
You could check off every item on your checklist ... but then, someone (your own mind, or someone else ... I'm not sure if you've clarified which) ... somehow convinced your mind that the "realized" reality *could* be as fake as the "ego-story" reality ... and your mind freaked out, thinking "Oh My God, what if that's true?!"

Oki, I'll try to clarify the best I can. First, wobbling means very simply oscillating between believing our thoughts (emotions etc) and not believing our thoughts (emotions etc). When believeing in thoughts we get the whole enchilada with being a personal identity/aka prisoner of the mind"/aka suffering etc, let's call it point A. When we are not believing our thoughts we are free of the personal identity and we get the whole enchilada listed above in the "I am realized"-list, let's call it point B. I think we pretty much have the same knowing of what the points represent. So when in point B - there's no problem whatsoever. It's exactly what you are describing as being your present experience/living/knowing/being. It is also my experience/living/knowing/being - when in point B! It is experienced as THE REAL. There is no other reality, right? So we all end up in the same place there. It's only One there - or Noone there... whatever...

Then when there's a contraction back into point A it's absolutely ridiculous! We have seen it's nothing to contract back into and there's noone there to contract and there's no real contraction - it's on every level absurd to again believe in thoughts that were so fully, totally and utterly SEEN as not real - yet it happens! The gravity of point A is too strong and pulls us back - if we're not lucky. So then, when in point A again - there's a lot of knowing about point B, right? The REAL has been tasted and known in direct experience. Now the mind "owns" the realization as "its own" "I was in point B" - yet there's a basic deep knowing the "I" is fake...

Then a teacher comes and says: "what you refer to as point B, or all the things you experienced and can describe in the checklist above, is not Real. You only thought it was real". Then the mind flips - being in point A. Then another teacher comes and says "Oh, some teachers says point B is not Real as long as you are oscillating. But I assure you - you will never end up anywhere else but in point B. The Real is the Real no matter if you just taste it, get a glimpse of it or stay there permanently. Point B is point B. Period." That felt very good to a confused mind in point A. When in point B - all of this discussion about oscillating and points A and B is ridiculous, and not interesting. Thank God Adyashanti still thinks it's interesting and writes books about it. [:D]

quote:
And I'm not sure exactly what the ramifications were for you, other than it was presumably quite awful to experience ... with the general sense being (guessing here) ... "how can I ever actually know what's real??"
It was a terribly confusing situation, cause I usually find Yogani's words to be very accurate by own experience. The question was not "how can I ever actually know what's real" - the question was rather "if I can't trust the inner guru/the stillness as it is known here/ then what can I trust on this journey?" Yogani said "have faith". My faith died. And hell broke loose in my life on all levels.

quote:
This was compounded by the fact that you believed that enlightenment/realization was "one way" ... and so, if you could "fall back out of it" .... which you did ..... that was some pretty strong evidence that whoever convinced you of the possible unreality of both conditions ("enlightened" and "unenlightened", or "realized" and "unrealized", or whatever you want to call it ..... might be right.

Nope. Far from it, since I've been dancing in and out for so long I have never thought it's a "one way". See above. It was all about faith and trust in point B being point B and not another mind game.

quote:
However, something in "End Of Your World" (the book by Adyashanti) .... possibly just the general teaching that "phasing in and out of" realization/experience of self can and does happen .... helped you to believe you're *not* stuck in an ever-cycling unreality, after all ... and you were (your phrasing) restored to sanity.

Does that sound about right?

After all the corrections - yes, that's about right except that it was never a question about the dancing per se![:D] What Adyashanti brought was the firm confirmation: Truth is truth. Always. When known it's known and you know when you know it. Always. I regained trust in my inner guru - that which Yogani ironically points to all the time!!!

The two habits you suggest are what I'm into now as well, just that for some reason, the motivation to go there is very weak at the moment. I'm just resting with that. I know it will change, and I know that's the "effort" demanded if I want to have the sand go, the way you have! We have to practice that awareness, the way you describe.

quote:
Now, when you say "how do you know it's permanent?"

Do I say that? I have never asked you that to my knowing? [:)]

quote:
Now, it's like "emptiness is living this" ... whatever the experience is ... but the emptiness is a (subtle yet infinite) "little step back" from *all* experiencing.It's not about the quality, or the content of the experience ... feeling like a person, feeling like infinite awareness ... emptiness experiences both, but is not affected or disturbed by any experience ... I am, in a sense ... the very experiencing of the experiences ... but am also independent of them.

It really is almost impossible to describe ... it's like: instead of a "someone" ... or even "thinking about" things .... there's just space.

Great description of point B! [:D] Ask me when in point B and the same description will come out of my mouth, and anyone's mouth that has seen Truth!

To me, it seems like you wobbled in another way than I wobble. I don't wobble to an "I'm enlightened"-state or any state with a "someone being there to have a sense - I've got it!". I wobble to what you describe (point B). That's what I'm trying to get through here. I wobble between "I'm a seeker" and "There is just emptiness dancing".

And now I'm boiling with kundalini having written this, so I have to go.

You're great, Kirtanman, sharing your experiences. Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:57:38 AM by emc »

emc

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 07:56:10 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by emc
    My point with these posts is that I'm certain we realize deeper and deeper, and that we are wise to continue to inquire even though we think we are without any type of self-reference.

quote:
Kirtanman: I agree ... if there's thinking/self-reference in the first place ... and especially if there's suffering. ...suffering is a signal to inquire.

Yes, true. And not only one's own suffering, but others as well!

Something interesting just happened here in Stockholm a while ago. One of those quite newly realized teachers who travel the world, holding satsangs, got into a rather nasty conflict with the people arranging his satsangs. They accused him of being ego-driven and not truly realized. (I don't know how he responded, I only heard the upset people.) After a while, the upset people even contacted the teachers former master and asked him for help to reach the teacher and make him listen to their complaints. The answer from the master to the teacher was spread (the original email) and read something like:

"Such upsetness and negativity never comes from nothing. If these people are so upset about your behaviour, then it might be time for you to do some inquiry again." And he actually recommended him to do some Byron Katie's The Work!

So this passage is quite interesting (if it's not a part where you are joking):

quote:
For some strange reason, I had a sense:

Hey, if I let other people know it's possible .... people will feel like:

"Awesome ... so AYP *does* work; I *can* get enlightened!" (<-- Or, more accurately ... get past *all* the crazy me-stories, including the enlightenment-related ones ....) .... but ... as some may have noticed .... the general response .... or, at least the more vocal ones ... have not been like that (((shrug))).

I really just am here to help, if possible .... not in a "big deal" way; just in a "like always" way.

In this at least I see underlying assumptions and expectation that was not being fulfilled the wanted way - others are giving you feed-back of a totally different kind. Why is that? What does that tell you? And you just want to help... Hm. Could be a subject for inquiry, in my world anyway. [;)]

This is a quote from Yogani around the question "Does Truth ever create negativity?":

quote:
Inner silence has inherent within it a morally self-regulating quality. The same is true as we act in the world to help others. If we do so from within stillness (stillness in action), there can be no harm. To the extent there is harm, it will be due to an impure expression of stillness, which we all do to greater or lesser degree. Noticing this in a natural way is actually part of our spiritual development, an aspect of automatic self-inquiry occurring as inner silence grows in us.

Of course, people can be offended by all sorts things, even the presence of a light being. Don't we know it? But I think there is a difference between someone being offended (harmed by their own limited perception), versus being harmed by an impurity coming from someone who is helping. Either way there are opportunities on both sides, and we should not stop acting for fear of making a mistake. The process of acting and learning in stillness is part of the path -- learning by doing. We get better at it by doing it.

I don't know about others, but I react on being helped when not wanted. It's creating if not negativity here, so at least a noticing of it being someone declaring my needs to me without having a clue of what my needs are. [:)] Being active on a "support forum" doesn't always imply I need support at the moment!

What I see is potentially a trap here with "newly realized". When you've reached a certain state of realization, people around you will find it very hard to bring any critique to the person, suggesting they might have own impurities causing "negativity" in the receiver of the message. It will most often be thrown back as "You are only being hurt from your own interpretations, and projecting back onto the realized" (argued both from the realized person and/or from the devotees around who wants to idealize the person).

Who will dare to speak eventually and what does it mean not to trust your own intuitive feeling? When I happen to "help" my students a bit too much at work, I see my students getting trapped in the thought "It feels bloody uncomfortable, but I guess she's right since she is the teacher/authority", and then shame comes as a result from not taking the intuitive feeling for an accurate response to an imposed impurity from the authority... At work I am in constant training of this, since the whole organisation is built on empowerment/equality, thus, when anyone puts him or herself above and takes the preferential right of interpretation it will hit back quickly from the other colleagues, and most certainly from the students who begin to be "impossible" to handle when the impurity hits back.

I'm just babbling on here... [:)] I'll stop now and I hope my point is finding its way out there.

Nisargadatta once said that "The master is happy with the seekers as they are"! [:)]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 08:57:00 AM by emc »

Kirtanman

• http://livingunbound.net
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
Hi All,

I was posting to TI in the Wayne Wirs thread, and realized most of the content of what I was saying to him fit better over here ... and might be of interest to everyone reading/posting in this thread, and so (per this thread's topic) ....

The teachers/information that I resonate with falls into two groups:

1. Non-dual, without symbolism (AYP/Yogani, Adyashanti).

2. Non-dual, with symbolism (Sophian Gnosticiam/Tau Malachi, Kashmir Shaivism/Abhinavagupta & Swami Lakshmanjoo, Kabbalah, Paramahamsa Nithyananda, Swami Muktananda, Bhagavan Nityananda, etc.).

.. though:

3. "Enlightened, clear and wise, whether symbolism is used or not" ... i.e. Nisargadatta, Ramana, Lakshmanjoo and Abhinavagupta ... have been a valuable group for me, as well.

... because all three groups of teachers/teachings (along with several other comparable non-dual schools within all wisdom traditions) are *solely* about how to realize enlightenment/true nature in your own experiencing .... and so, are solely about the ways to know you're home/how consciousness actually operates ... whether plainly spoken or via the use of religious/spiritual symbolism.

Someone might well ask: why go with any of the symbolic stuff, if the plainly spoken teachings get you t/here?

To which I'd say: because there's truly a wealth of valuable teaching in the symbolism-enhanced systems ... and once you get the symbolism, which is quite simple, really, in each case, once you spend a bit of time with each set (Sophian Gnostic, Kashmir Shaivite, and so on) .... the teachings are as plain as the "plainly spoken" set.

Example: I've been familiar with all the terms used by Tau Malachi in the excerpt Christi posted, for the last two-ish years, and I get how they correspond to equivalent terms in Kashmir Shaivism and the original Kabbalah (which are the same terms Tau Malachi uses, in general) ... and so, for me, jumping between teachings in any of those systems is seamless ... and there's no occlusion due to the Sanskrit or Hebrew terminology.

And so, per the levels of experiencing/consciousness in the respective systems:

Nefesh
Ruach {Lower & Upper}
Neshamah
Hayyah
Yechidah

Of the Kabbalah, Christian Kabbalah/Sophian Gnosticism and original (Jewish) Kabbalah

Are as transparent to me as:

Prthivi {inclusive of Earth/Waking/Nefesh}
Prakriti {Water, Nature/Dream/Lower Ruach}
Maya/Matrika {Fire/Deep Sleep/Upper Ruach*}
Shakti {Air/Turiya/Hayyah/}

... in Kashmir Shaivism.

(And "all of the above" listed terms have exact correspondences in Vajrayana and other non-dual schools of Buddhism {which Tau Malachi knows quite well, as well, per many of his posts on his forum}, and other non-dual philosophies and yogas, as well {Alchemy, Hermetic Mysticism, Tarot, etc.}).

This may not sound accurate to many; it wouldn't have to me a couple-few years ago, either ... but once I "caught wind" that these systems were/are ALL built around a single model of the full spectrum of consciousness - from body/sense-centric to enlightenment/all centric - *and* that they equated to to the *exact* same things being said by Tau Malachi, Yogani, Nisargadatta Maharaj, and (with a little symbolism at times, Ramana Maharshi), just "sans symbolism" ... and that each of these systems has a "yoga/set of practices" equivalent to AYP .... I became very interested.

Immersion in related research was what I was doing pretty much the entire time I took a break from the forum (mid-late 2007, to whenever I started posting again, earlier this year) ..... I just turned around and glanced at the table behind me .... which has probably ... no kidding .... a hundred related books on it.)

And so, NOTE TO TI:
Despite my poor choice of words in the other forum, saying "I know how entertaining" immersion in information can be ..... I really didn't mean it insultingly, at all; I purely meant that voraciously consuming information, and *relying* on anything anyone (other than you) says .... is fraught with likely-to-be-enlightenment-occluding issues.

*However* .... if you "consume but don't rely" ... the information can serve you ... rather than tyrannize you ... which is true of all things Mayic (measurement-oriented, language-based, conceptual) .... if you approach it as guided by inner guru (your own highest intelligence/intuition), rather than as driven by mind.)

I only said that to you, because until fairly recently, I "resembled that remark" ... which never meant to me that *either* of us was not "deadly serious" ... I most certainly was (and I'm happy with the results of that level of dedication; ultimately: wanted the truth more than anything is what gets us to know ourselves as the truth) .. and you most certainly show yourself to be.

I was purely commenting on how you seemed to be ... post after post ... approaching information in a certain way; the same way I used to; that's all.

[:)]

(The level of Shakti also equals: Undistorted Consciousness/Awareness, Vimarsa, Pratibha, Super Consciousness and  Inner Silence}

& Shiva {Ether, Turiyatita, Yechidah}

(The level of Shiva also equals: Being, Infinite Light, Integrated Wholeness, Prakasha and Enlightenment.)

If you do a search here at the forum on Tau Malachi (and especially if you narrow it, by putting Kirtanman in the "member" field ... you'll find a bunch of stuff that I've posted; I know Christi has mentioned Tau Malachi in a "couple-few" other posts, as well).

Personally, the three spiritual teachers who have had the most direct influence in my life, have been:

Yogani
Tau Malachi
Adyashanti

(With a "lot of help" from Swami Lakshmanjoo and Abhinavagupta, two of the greatest sages of Kashmir Shaivism (<- The Shiva Sutras are online, via that link, btw).

Compared to all other available teachings, I just resonate most with enlightened teachers who are:

A. Alive

&

B. Who are easily accessible, directly (Yogani and Tau Malachi are easy to reach/talk with via email and forum; Adyashanti is, live at satsang or retreat).

What really blew me away is when I got:

NOT only are all of the teachers and systems teaching something *identical*, except for the language/specific symbols (and teaching it from the standpoint of being the enlightenment they're inviting us to) .... but each of these systems has a TON of information, which verifies the validity and correctness (as verifiable in experience) of both the assertions and the efficacy of the practices (ditto) of each system, as well.

Example:

Tau Malachi Quotes on Non-Duality

Mentioning this was/is my entire reason for starting this thread.

I hope it's helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

PS- I've spent more time on this post than was a good idea, given my day in RL ("Real Life", as we used to say way back in Internet antiquity ...[8D]) ... and so, any glaring typos/"phrasing weirdness"/other errors, if there be such .... I'll plan to clean up later/tomorrow.)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:28:52 PM by Kirtanman »

Kirtanman

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

How many words does it take to point to the mind's real nature? Zero.

True ... yet in online forums, this is challenging at best.

Still good point.

Kirtanman

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »

Hi emc,

First, I don't recall if I've said this, but I'm reading End Of Your World by Adyashanti right now ... and very much enjoying; thanks for mentioning it!

quote:
Originally posted by emc

My point with these posts is that I'm certain we realize deeper and deeper, and that we are wise to continue to inquire even though we think we are without any type of self-reference.

quote:
Kirtanman: I agree ... if there's thinking/self-reference in the first place ... and especially if there's suffering. ...suffering is a signal to inquire.

quote:

Yes, true. And not only one's own suffering, but others as well!

Something interesting just happened here in Stockholm a while ago. One of those quite newly realized teachers who travel the world, holding satsangs, got into a rather nasty conflict with the people arranging his satsangs. They accused him of being ego-driven and not truly realized. (I don't know how he responded, I only heard the upset people.) After a while, the upset people even contacted the teachers former master and asked him for help to reach the teacher and make him listen to their complaints. The answer from the master to the teacher was spread (the original email) and read something like:

"Such upsetness and negativity never comes from nothing. If these people are so upset about your behaviour, then it might be time for you to do some inquiry again." And he actually recommended him to do some Byron Katie's The Work!

It's difficult to really comment on this, without having more of a sense of it .... though sounds like there may be "more to the story" than any one side of it.

When people criticize a teacher strongly, it's been my experience that most people are playing "fight the teacher", as an acting out of their own psychology. Obviously, this doesn't apply if the teacher is doing empirically horrible things (by almost anyone's definition -- literal and overt physical, sexual or emotional abuse) ... but that's hardly ever been the case, in my experience.

In fact, at least one of the teachers I've never had any problem with, or seen why anyone else would, and who has behaved in a completely benign, helpful and exemplary manner in all instances I've observed ... still elicited anger to the extent that someone was going to speak out publicly against that teacher .... which is A. Purely mystifying to me (anytime I have strongly "not resonated" with a teacher, I merely go elsewhere ... "no fighting required"), a B. much more of a statement regarding the ex-student, than the teacher.

But, again .... maybe the "upset" people had some cause for their upset; I couldn't say, of course, without knowing a lot more.

quote:

So this passage is quite interesting (if it's not a part where you are joking):

quote:
For some strange reason, I had a sense:

Hey, if I let other people know it's possible .... people will feel like:

"Awesome ... so AYP *does* work; I *can* get enlightened!" (<-- Or, more accurately ... get past *all* the crazy me-stories, including the enlightenment-related ones ....) .... but ... as some may have noticed .... the general response .... or, at least the more vocal ones ... have not been like that (((shrug))).

I really just am here to help, if possible .... not in a "big deal" way; just in a "like always" way.

quote:

In this at least I see underlying assumptions and expectation that was not being fulfilled the wanted way - others are giving you feed-back of a totally different kind. Why is that? What does that tell you? And you just want to help... Hm. Could be a subject for inquiry, in my world anyway. [;)]

I truly respect and understand this insight; all I can tell you, simply and honestly, is:

Zero upset, here (and no joking).

I just meant my comments above literally; the fairly lengthy dialog with TI and Christi in the Wayne Wirs thread was just unexpected ... but it's fine, in both cases, from "here" ... and hopefully ... good for all, overall.

If nothing else, readers will see views regarding enlightenment from a few different angles ... which will hopefully help their own experiencing of enlightenment, sooner and more completely, and/or other clarity, as pertinent.

And I meant my last comment ("only here to help" in the sense of "to contribute positively" .... in the same general sense that everyone here presumably has, in some way, with essentially every post ..... my point was more: I was just making what I felt was a "general, positive comment" ... and didn't realize the term "enlightenment" could be so charged for either Christi or TI ..... just literally: hadn't realized this .... primarily because conditioning "here" is pretty mellow; if anyone else ever "announces" experiencing of enlightenment ... I'm fairly likely to say: "Hey, great; good news!" ... if I say anything at all.

This is *not* better or worse than Christi's approach, or TI's .... simply a clarification of why I was literally a little surprised .... and even that (suprised) is more figure-of-speech than any felt experience, per se.

And, from here, at least, there's been no negativity that's unresolved (TI had felt insulted, if that's the right term -- TI, please comment, if not -- and when I realized that he was upset, and why, I simply and genuinely apologized ... if we'd been in the same room, he might not have gotten upset ... but words on a screen can be a lot different than live voice ... and it *did* sound like I was disparaging his "seriousness" ... which I have never felt for one second ..... one of the reasons I engaged in so much dialog with both Christi and TI, is even though they were challenging some things I said ... they're both clearly sincere about how they feel, and about their spiritual paths.

And so, any "negativity" was experienced by one person, temporarily, based on an understandable misunderstanding which was quickly resolved.

Not the same as the Stockholm Situation, as far as I can tell.

quote:

This is a quote from Yogani around the question "Does Truth ever create negativity?":

quote:
Inner silence has inherent within it a morally self-regulating quality. The same is true as we act in the world to help others. If we do so from within stillness (stillness in action), there can be no harm. To the extent there is harm, it will be due to an impure expression of stillness, which we all do to greater or lesser degree. Noticing this in a natural way is actually part of our spiritual development, an aspect of automatic self-inquiry occurring as inner silence grows in us.

Of course, people can be offended by all sorts things, even the presence of a light being. Don't we know it? But I think there is a difference between someone being offended (harmed by their own limited perception), versus being harmed by an impurity coming from someone who is helping. Either way there are opportunities on both sides, and we should not stop acting for fear of making a mistake. The process of acting and learning in stillness is part of the path -- learning by doing. We get better at it by doing it.

Very much agreed.

quote:

I don't know about others, but I react on being helped when not wanted. It's creating if not negativity here, so at least a noticing of it being someone declaring my needs to me without having a clue of what my needs are. [:)] Being active on a "support forum" doesn't always imply I need support at the moment!

Most of us do ... and or respond-by-ignoring.

That's never been my intention; one of the reasons I used the term "inviting" ... and invitation can be accepted, rejected or ignored, and it's all fine.

And in general, I'd say unsolicited advice is relatively rare, here, [:)]unless I'm missing a lot, somehow.

quote:

What I see is potentially a trap here with "newly realized".

If you wouldn't mind, emc ... could you please tell me what you mean by "newly realized".

I'm simply kind of unclear on who might fall into that category ... from the words alone, I kind of picture someone who just had their first "realization" ... "I am not simply this form, these thoughts and feelings; I am awareness", etc. etc. ... which has possibly subsided (hence the potential troubles you cite) ... yet, the Stockholm teacher you mention, gives (as you said) satsangs around the world ... implying, it would seem ... and active teaching practice.

And I know you've said you're not referring to me ... yet, per your quoting of my own words .... I'm not sure if you are, or not (and fine either way ... I'm truly just trying to understand).

For instance: I probably wouldn't call Adyashanti or Yogani "newly realized" ... would you?

In my experience, what most people call realization/awakening ... is the first set of experiences .... followed by the back-and-forth, and fight with ego-gravity Adya describes so well in End Of Your World.

What I've been called enlightenment/shift .... the sand running out of the hourglass ... is the other end of that often/usually multi-year process ... when it finally does all dissolve.

*IF* ego arises for more than a moment here, it will be dealt with in-as-with awareness.

That just hasn't happened in several weeks.

This isn't said in the egoic sense of "And *I* have no ego!!" ... just in the accurate-as-possible sense of: it's amazingly *quiet* here, now; it's nice ... all the stuff the took effort (maintaining awareness, keeping egoic thought in check, etc.) ... is now not an issue; it just doesn't arise.

Per that non-arising ... there's no real caring if "this is it" ... or if this is "technically definitely" enlightenment.

There's the experiencing of this as enlightenment ... but only because that's the most applicable term, as far as I know; the sharing was about the experiencing .... not about any need to call it anything, or to be thought of in any way.

quote:

When you've reached a certain state of realization, people around you will find it very hard to bring any critique to the person, suggesting they might have own impurities causing "negativity" in the receiver of the message. It will most often be thrown back as "You are only being hurt from your own interpretations, and projecting back onto the realized" (argued both from the realized person and/or from the devotees around who wants to idealize the person).

Well, as kind of alluded above, empirical behavior counts for a lot, here, in my experiencing.

If there are ongoing, multiple negative reactions to/from a given teacher ... and this teacher engages in behavior that almost anyone would find problematic ... then yes .... "evidence of issue" for sure.

On the other hand, when most people (good example: Yogani; another good example: Adyashanti) either A. observe a teacher to be helpful and benign (kind, calm, etc.) in all interactions, and/or B. See no evidence whatsoever of overtly harmful behavior (physical, emotional or sexual abuse, etc.) ... then any small group (which again -- all teachers tend to attract ... and this is almost always a very small, very loud, very angry minority) .... who plays "fight the teacher" is acting out their own unresolved psychology, and the teacher likely doesn't have anything to do with it.

Point Being: In my experience, there's usually no mystery, here .... if a teacher is creating a lot of strife .... the reasons/issues and primary source tend to be somewhat obvious ... whether it's the teacher or the students.

In my own case, if it's applicable at all (and I don't know that it is) ... I'm just a forum member, here .... offering encouraging commentary on enlightenment was/is the same, here ... as any other "benefits" of practice I've discussed .... enlightenment ... and the implications of it being actual, are seemingly problematic for one or two people here.

The differences from any of the "problematic teaching" dynamics, as far as I know, are:

A. I neither think of myself as a teacher, nor proclaim myself as one; I'm a forum member here, that's it.

B. There's no feeling of "above or beyond" the group; authentic enlightenment is literally the absence of that possibility, let alone the actuality; if anything, I simply feel more happily, easily and genuinely connected with all.

C. I don't think either TI or Christi perceive me as engaging in negativity, unfairness or unkindness, per se ... ever. Being direct at times, possibly .. as are they ... as is fine with me, and, I presume, fine with them (and I always invite them to say so, if anything I say about our shared dialog seems untrue, to them).

D. I don't feel any sense of conflict or unhappiness ... and I don't think they do, either (though, again, invite them to say so).

quote:
At work I am in constant training of this, since the whole organisation is built on empowerment/equality, thus, when anyone puts him or herself above and takes the preferential right of interpretation it will hit back quickly from the other colleagues, and most certainly from the students who begin to be "impossible" to handle when the impurity hits back.

I like that line "preferential right of interpretation" ... and yes, indeed ... this can be a conscious or unconscious ego play, for sure (speaking very generally ... as in: we've all seen this in action, I'm sure ... in multiple instances).

In my experience, the inherent solution is:

Shared, genuine respect.

This can't be faked .... but if it's truly present ... if the group is truly a cohesive group with mutual trust, respect and affinity ... any "preferential right of interpretation" won't stand a chance.

There's confidence with enlightenment .... but it's not confidence that needs to make anyone else wrong; no one else is wrong ....... we're all on the same side; heck ...  we're all the *same* .... and actual enlightenment experiences this .... anything else is either ego-ploy, or "not enlightened yet".

The unconditional loving that's said to be part of enlightenment ... *is*.

It may not always "look" the way ego-minds think it should look ... but enlightenment cannot behave in empirically unloving (self-serving) ways ... and there's no one to take "credit" for either condition (loving/unloving) ... it's just the way actual awareness, without ego, moves.

And I get how that *might* sound (I can remember a time when I could have felt "Riiiiight there's no ego!!" [8D] .. upon reading those words) ... once again, though ... I'm just attempting to describe the "feel" ... ego-story here finally fell away ... actually.

If it returns, I have no issue saying so ... yet, there's the simple knowing it won't-can't ... which is not a concept to be defended ... simply a felt actuality.

Most people take this as a "prouncement thing" .... "*I* have no ego ... whereas *you* there ... *you* clearly have ego" ...... and it's not like that.

Ego is just the untrue concept called me; that distorted, unnecessary self-reference that we all live with, for a lifetime.

I'm just happily sharing: "Oh My God ... it actually goes away; very nice ... better than could have been expected .... try it ... you'll like it ... it's everyone ... everyone's ... equally."

No attachment to being believed, accepted, taken as a teacher ...... "zero zip nada" ..... I'm kirtanman at the AYP forum; as always; that's it.

*ALL* I'm saying, is:

If there's any non-peace out there, in anyone reading .... it can and does, cease permanently ... and you're in exactly the right place (AYP) to help bring that about.

If there was even a little bit of ego/mind left here .... there could so easily be a sense of "I am surprised about experiencing this as anyone else might be, reading about it" (kirtanman, experiencing enlightenment) .. but even that's not here .... it *all* falls away.

I remember reading in the Gita and other sutras/scriptures .... that there's "only action" (though no doer, etc. etc.) .... and I though that ranked right up there with "stillness and silence" as a fairly miserable outcome of years of spiritual practices ... but I get what they meant, now ... "only action, no actOR" ..... it's a flow/harmony thing.

Words (enlightenment, etc. -- and any ways my words "might" seem) create impressions in mind; feeling deeper than the impressions, the truth of intent is felt ... and please feel my simple unattached intention/invitation.

We all have this capability/intuition ... because the guru is {in} {all} of us.

And I'm not inviting anyone to pay any attention to *me* ... purely to what's possible within *you*.

quote:

Nisargadatta once said that "The master is happy with the seekers as they are"! [:)]

Absolutely. I don't presume myself as a master in any way; but I'm naturally happy with everyone/everything ... any sense that anything should be different is land-of-the-ego stuff, and no fun at all, as Byron Katie so wisely points out. ("When you argue with reality, you always lose ... but only 100% of the time.")

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

emc

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
Kirtanman, I see we have different terminology:

emc: first awakening, glimpses, wobbling, not 24/7
kirtanman: realization

emc: realization, self-realization aka enlightenment 24/7
kirtanman: enlightenment

I would never call myself realized or enlightened, only having awakenings/glimpses going on. But I'd say you are pretty newly realized/enlightened since a few weeks back! [:D]

I was not from the start aiming my posts at you, but as a general discussion, cause I know many who are where you are now. But since you are engaging in the discussion I started answering your posts in particular. I'd say one is still "newly realized" after having been where you are for say one or two perhaps even three years. That's mostly when people who have come where you are make their own homepage or start a mission, start having satsangs, travel around spreading the message "If I did it, you can do it too". And some of them are doing it very prematurely with a lot of ego structures left that others can see, but not they themselves, and people don't dare to tell them so. I'm not saying you are doing this, I'm just discussing a phenomenon I have noticed, and sometimes expemlifying with what you are writing.

There's a sense of having all ego structures running out like sand... and now, if you read my posts again - That's when the journey really starts! That's when the ego gets so sneaky you won't notice it - like a needle in a soft banana - cause you don't experience anyhthing else than that you're beyond it! That's why many teachers end up in situations like the described above - where the only reference left is the reactions of people around them - from within, it's only lala-land and no problems! [:)] See now, what I mean? Your first reaction to the example was also "most people are playing "fight the teacher", as an acting out of their own psychology". That's what I said is the most common response in those situations! See! You examplify it exactly the way I describe! [:)]And it might very well BE people's own psychology - OR it can be an impurity still sneaking around in the realized/enlightened person, which is sensed very much only on a certain energetic level. It's like we have an "ego-detector", because, as Yogani pointed out - Truth never brings negativity. And my point is - as opposed to yours - it absolutely does NOT have to be groce things like sexual/emotional abuse or the like. It can be very, very subtle, as subtle as putting oneself on a high horse, having the sense "I" can help others, or perhaps to be a "host" somehow able to invite people (although the invitation is always free)... [;)]

I'm very glad you are reading "The end of your world"! [:)] You are beyond the wobbling (hopefully permanently) but it will probably give you a good understanding of what it's like wobbling between the place that sounds very much like where you are now (perhaps a precursor place of some sort, but how shall we ever know, beacause it's a place that is described exactly the way you describe it), the place where the ego has run out fully as sand and is totally transparent... and then again... contracting back and *peekaboo* it's there again! [:D]

Bernie always says: "emc, you're living in two realities - get Real!". That's what it feels like. I'm surprised this mind is not psychotic yet.

I understand that you are putting your points forward in two different topics. Just for your info, I have not read the other topic with Christi and T_I, so I'm only following this one. Perhaps we are crossposting some points or you have to repeat a lot? I don't know.

Just sharing my Swedish krona here!
Love, emc
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:38:10 PM by emc »

emc

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 07:42:23 AM »
Adyashanti on momentary awakening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlOioIG7ggg

Edit:

and the pain of continuing to act non-true, although knowing what's really True!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3lp61bKwYs

(I actually think he's reading from his book "the end of your world".)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:08:58 AM by emc »

YogaIsLife

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 07:58:52 AM »
Thank you for that emc. That happened to me.

emc

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 08:10:21 AM »
YogaIsLife, oh dear! How are you coping with it? [:)]

YogaIsLife

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 10:28:16 AM »
quote:
emc wrote:
YogaIsLife, oh dear! How are you coping with it?

You mean "momentary enlightenment"? [:)]

Well, what can I say? I had never heard of enlightenment then, all I know is that something opened up really and I felt a deep connection with the whole, and a deep peace (what here is called silence) permeating every moment, underneath and between all the normal ups and downs of life. It was just there, present. It lasted some 3 months. And then it closed up again...it was some 9 years ago!

It is nothing to worry about really. Life just goes on, as always...But Adyashanti is right, if you had an awakening you will never be the same, even if you don't understand it. You are forever touched and you know what they mean by "life as it is meant to be lived". In that sense the first years after it "faded" can be quite hard because you suddenly lived in "heaven" and you seemingly come back to "hell" without any apparent logical reason!

I think it was Pascal that said: "the heart has reasons that reason (i.e. mind) knows nothing of". [:)]

I've learnt a lot since, had some hard time, but finally found yoga and meditation and that was my "salvation". It gave me a center again, a framework to understand all this and work from, and I "think" I am "getting back on track". But truly, we are never "out of track". It is always awareness or the whole or whatever you want to call it (what we are) getting to know and explore itself (ourselves) as it always has been! It is a continuous unfolding, a beautiful dance.

For me is simple: I think more had to be included. In truth, all must be included.

But hey, thanks for asking! It is always hard to share/explain these things, as you might imagine. [:)]

All the best!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:31:31 AM by YogaIsLife »

Kirtanman

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 05:39:41 PM »

Hi emc,

quote:
Originally posted by emc

Kirtanman, I see we have different terminology:

emc: first awakening, glimpses, wobbling, not 24/7
kirtanman: realization

emc: realization, self-realization aka enlightenment 24/7
kirtanman: enlightenment

I would never call myself realized or enlightened, only having awakenings/glimpses going on. But I'd say you are pretty newly realized/enlightened since a few weeks back! [:D]

Per your definition, yes.

After reading Adya's book though, the cycle is fairly clear, I'd say ... and an experiencing many of us describe, have gone through, or are going through:

*There's no sense of self, other than mistaken concept ("ego dream only". prior to any awakening).

*Experiencing that true nature is not limited to body-mind or concept (initial awakening/realization, experience{s}).

*Repeated awakening/realization experiences/phases, in which we "wobble in and out" of knowing true nature at times, behaving from ego (even when we know ego is illusion), and going through systemic changes and purification .... which process can last several years.

Adyashanti's lasted roughly seven years, by the way.

*This is followed by a final awakening, whether initiated by an experience ... or, just an awareness that the gravity of the ego finally appears to have subsided ... which is what I've been calling "enlightenment" ... and which I believe both Adyashanti and Yogani call "enlightenment", too.

Though, as Adya says (and I agree) .... the future cannot be known.

In the closing interview (at the end of End of Your World) ... Adya mentions that it's been years since egoic thoughts have had gravity ... but that he still cannot comment regarding what might happen the "next moment" ... no one can.

This is simply accurate; anything "not now" is imagination.

However, he says that, as Nisargadatta also said, that untrue thoughts arise ... but they're seen through essentially immediately ... kind of like one motion.

That's basically the experience here, for what it's worth.

quote:

I was not from the start aiming my posts at you, but as a general discussion, cause I know many who are where you are now. But since you are engaging in the discussion I started answering your posts in particular. I'd say one is still "newly realized" after having been where you are for say one or two perhaps even three years.

Okay.

quote:

That's mostly when people who have come where you are make their own homepage or start a mission, start having satsangs, travel around spreading the message "If I did it, you can do it too". And some of them are doing it very prematurely with a lot of ego structures left that others can see, but not they themselves, and people don't dare to tell them so. I'm not saying you are doing this, I'm just discussing a phenomenon I have noticed, and sometimes expemlifying with what you are writing.

What I'm truly not seeing, is:

This still sounds like you're discussing people at the beginning of the first set of realizations ... not after the years of "wobbling" as you call it, has subsided.

This isn't about me; I'm just trying to get where you actually see the set of people described above, as fitting.

If someone still has a major degree of egoic structure/self-reference/"need to teach" and so on .... that sounds much closer to the beginning of the shifting from ego-life to ego-free life (i.e. in the period that, for Adya, lasted seven years .... this group sounds like they would be near the beginning of that phase .... if in it, at all).

What I'm saying that I am experiencing is what happened with Adya at the *end* of that seven year period.

(Said to be clear on what I'm *saying*, per terminology, what happens in which phases, what I'm saying my experiencing is, and so forth .... not said as another mention of the experiencing itself.)

And, very importantly: not said with any sense of importance about it; words can be very occluding; it's not pertinent whether anyone perceives me as enlightened .... including me; all that matters is experiencing enlightenment for yourself {anyone reading}. If my words have helped this, that's good. [:)]

Adya mentions in the book this exact dynamic, regarding final awakening/enlightenment (not initial realization) .... that there's a sense of "missionary zeal", based on the sense that "this is possible for everyone".

That's exactly what I've been feeling.

The difference from the state you describe is that it's not driven by egoic structures (which are somehow about the one expressing), and are experienced as aspects of the flow .... literally.

It truly is an "enlightenment milestone", in experiencing here .... and I'm tossing it out as one, that people can check their own experiencing regarding, either now, or when they feel they're enlightened:

When ego-structures do dissolve, the directionality shifts from being about "me" to being about others ... simply and actually.

It's not an "altruistic" thing at all; it's more: when illusions of unwholeness fall away, there's a natural movement to connect and uplift ... in a natural, symbiotic way .... the way that all life lives ... except for the ego.

Adya says that this lasted for him for two years or so, then started to fade ... and is now completely gone (he started teaching at the beginning of that phase, and is still teaching .... and so, not all who start to teach upon enlightenment are doing so prematurely, or with debilitating levels of ego-structures in place, I'd say).

.... and don't worry (All) .... I won't be bugging you for the next two years!

[:D]

There's "willingness here" to learn to be clear on the best ways/times/places to say certain things .... and, as I'm sure we've all experienced:

No one truly loves evangelism except the evangelist ... and there's *zero* interest here, in being one of those, I assure you.

A couple of great Adya quotes I read in End Of Your World:

"Evaluation of other people’s non-division is not helpful. The only thing that matters is where you are. In any moment, are you experiencing and acting from division, or are you experiencing and acting from oneness? Which is it?”"

It is essential that an initial awakening isn’t owned or claimed --- that there’s no assumption of completion. Even though it may feel that the journey has ceased, it is important to realize that is is the old journey that has ceased, the journey toward that initial seeing, the journey where you didn’t have any consciousness of who and what you were. Now a new journey begins – the journey of expressing non-division at every level of your being. And this is a journey that may take years to complete itself.

I'm "good" with both of those quotes.

quote:

There's a sense of having all ego structures running out like sand... and now, if you read my posts again - That's when the journey really starts! That's when the ego gets so sneaky you won't notice it - like a needle in a soft banana - cause you don't experience anyhthing else than that you're beyond it! That's why many teachers end up in situations like the described above - where the only reference left is the reactions of people around them - from within, it's only lala-land and no problems! [:)] See now, what I mean?

I'm pretty sure that I do.

quote:

Your first reaction to the example was also "most people are playing "fight the teacher", as an acting out of their own psychology". That's what I said is the most common response in those situations! See! You examplify it exactly the way I describe! [:)]And it might very well BE people's own psychology - OR it can be an impurity still sneaking around in the realized/enlightened person, which is sensed very much only on a certain energetic level. It's like we have an "ego-detector", because, as Yogani pointed out - Truth never brings negativity. And my point is - as opposed to yours - it absolutely does NOT have to be groce things like sexual/emotional abuse or the like. It can be very, very subtle, as subtle as putting oneself on a high horse, having the sense "I" can help others, or perhaps to be a "host" somehow able to invite people (although the invitation is always free)... [;)]

"Got it."

And, it's "all good" very literally .... including this conversation.

It seems that "conditioning there" kind of inherently presumes fault (or at least, tends to suspect fault) with the teacher, rather than people who become angry with the teacher.

"Conditioning here" has experienced .... for many years .... not just a few weeks ..... that most teachers are simply trying to do the best they can, and that the angry, vocal minority tends to, in my experiencing, being projecting their own issues on the teacher or leader of a given group.

We've seen this throughout history, with respect to nations, cultures, political systems, and so on ..... "it's his/her/their fault! Not mine/ours!"

I don't know that I've ever once thought of this dynamic with respect to myself as a leader, or teacher .... (I've had both roles in the past; neither, currently) .... always as a member of a given group, just observing what's going on.

And again: the reason I referred to the more gross types of harmful behavior a teacher can engage in .... is because, in my experience, the "subtle" ones can (rather obviously, I'd think) ... be the imagination of the people who are finding fault with the teacher.

If the teacher isn't doing anything obviously wrong/harmful/counterproductive to teaching .... how can one discern the teacher is doing anything worthy of serious criticism or intervention (such as contacting the teacher's former master, as you outlined a couple of posts back) ... and more importantly: *why* would such contact be needed?

Why not just (literally) leave that teacher in peace?

I'm just looking at this primarily from a different angle, it seems; you've apparently experienced the "actual issue" being primarily with the teacher (?), whereas I've seen it being with a small group of angry people (who usually are "angry people", who seem to be basically waiting for a reason {in their minds} *to* be angry ... and as soon as the teacher does something than *can* be construed as impertinent ... out come the big guns, and the threats and the tantrums.

That's not to say that there aren't certain teachers who do more harm than good ... I'm talking about the good teachers of the world .... who still seem to attract this same percentage of very angry people (a very small percentage; usually 1 percent or less of total members/students ... but 1 percent can paint a very dark picture, if they wish ... and they all seem to do so).

I just wonder:

Why the compulsion to "paint" at all?

Why not accept reality, and move on?

If you consider how much ego is usually necessary to construct such a scenario ... it seems like a lot, at least to me:

1. The teacher must not only be evaluated, but evaluated as doing something significantly wrong.
2. The seriousness of the infraction (outside of the "harmful scenarios" outlined above) must be created in mind .... I'm referring to things here that most people would not be upset about .... where most people would say "I dunno; that teacher really didn't do it for me; maybe next week we can go to a movie instead" ... yet some people go into: "They're not realized! I must bring justice!" ... etc. etc.
3. The motivation to act, and the action, based on these negative feelings, energies must take place.

I'm truly willing to see a different view of this, if there be such .... it sounds like we're "on the same page" as far as protecting the innocent .... we just have different experiences regarding where the innocent usually seems to reside.

quote:

I'm very glad you are reading "The end of your world"! [:)] You are beyond the wobbling (hopefully permanently) but it will probably give you a good understanding of what it's like wobbling between the place that sounds very much like where you are now (perhaps a precursor place of some sort, but how shall we ever know, beacause it's a place that is described exactly the way you describe it), the place where the ego has run out fully as sand and is totally transparent... and then again... contracting back and *peekaboo* it's there again! [:D]

Well, I have no qualms about sharing/discussing that if it does happen .... so we shall see.

quote:

Bernie always says: "emc, you're living in two realities - get Real!". That's what it feels like. I'm surprised this mind is not psychotic yet.

Do you get what he means by this?

quote:

I understand that you are putting your points forward in two different topics. Just for your info, I have not read the other topic with Christi and T_I, so I'm only following this one. Perhaps we are crossposting some points or you have to repeat a lot? I don't know.

Cool; no worries ... and not cross-posting much; at first, at least ... most of the "posters" in both thread seemed to be the same ... so if you're "just here", that's fine.

Plus, that thread seems to be just about running its course, anyway, as far as "major active dialog" .... though "ya never know".

They seem to be following this one, and I thought you might be following that one, too .... so, hence those comments.

Thanks for the clarification (about which threads you're reading).

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Kirtanman

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 03:08:35 PM »
Hey All,

Per the theme of this thread, I found an interesting excerpt in Be As You Are (Teachings Of Sri Ramana Maharshi), at the beginning of Chapter Two --

"Sri Ramana occasionally indicated that there are three levels of spiritual aspirants.

The most advanced realize the Self as soon as they are told about its true nature.

Those in the second class reflect on it for some time before Self-awareness becomes firmly established.

Those in the third category are less fortunate, since they usually need many years of intensive spiritual practice to achieve the goal of Self-realization.

Sri Ramana sometimes used a metaphor of gunpowder to describe the three levels:

Gunpowder ignites with a single spark.

Charcoal needs the application of heat for a short time.

Wet coal needs to dry out and heat up over a long period of time before it will begin to burn.

For the benefit of those in the top two categories, Sri Ramana taught that the Self alone exists and that it can be directly and consciously experienced merely by ceasing to pay attention to the wrong ideas we have about ourselves.

These wrong ideas he collectively called the 'not-Self' since they are an imaginary accretion of wrong notions and misperceptions which effectively veil the true experience of the real Self.

The principle misperception is the idea that the Self is limited to the body and the mind.

As soon as one ceases to imagine that one is an individual person, inhabiting a particular body, the whole superstructure of wrong ideas collapses and is replaced by a conscious and permanent awareness of the real Self.

At this level of teaching there is no question of effort or practice. All that is required is an understanding that the Self is not a goal to be attained, it is merely the awareness that prevails when all the limiting ideas about the not-Self have been discarded."

This three-tiered model is also outlined in the Shiva Sutras and the Yoga Sutras.

The Shiva Sutras are divided into three sections, each one corresponding to one of these levels.

They start with the highest one first, and the aspirant starts there ... and reads/listens until he or she finds a comfortable starting point (possibly in consultation with inner guru or qualified outer guru or teacher).

And so - the three groups, per the Shiva Sutras are:

Shambhavopaya .... The Way of Thought-Free Awareness
(aka The Divine Means)

1.1 Caitanyamatma - The Self is Liberated Awareness

The related Iccha (Will-based; Awareness) yoga is based around simply sustaining awareness, and returning to awareness if/when one notices attention departing from original awareness of Self.

AYP Books/Lessons

Samyama
Deep Meditation
Eight Limbs of Yoga

Shaktopaya .... The Way of Mind
(aka The Empowered Means)
2.1 Cittam Mantrah - Mind is Mantra

The related Jnana (mind-based) yoga involves inquiry-based practices which help to experience the gap between all perceptions and/or to take one into silent awareness via inquiry and/or attention.

Basically, mind and attention-based practices.

AYP Books/Lessons

Self-Inquiry
Eight Limbs of Yoga

Anavopaya ... The Way of the Body
(aka The Individual Means)
3.1 Cittam Atma - (Limited) Mind is the Self

The related Kriya (Action) Yoga involves physical/action practices - practices making use of the body, and physical action, such as:

AYP Books/Lessons

Deep Meditation
Spinal Breathing Pranayama
Tantra
Asanas, Mudras & Bandhas
Diet, Shatkarmas & Amaroli
Bhakti & Karma Yoga
Eight Limbs of Yoga

And so ... this, in my opinion offers the opportunity for some major clarification and potential increase in enlightenment-related efficiency, for us all:

1. Many practitioners may be able to enjoy enlightenment much sooner we realized was likely, prior to this point (those who are readier can focus on the higher levels).

And Please Note: I'm not attempting to "override" AYP, in any way ... if Yogani sees any of this as problematic, I of course invite him to say so.

I'm purely "thinking" (typing) "out loud"; I've been mulling this over, and researching it for a while ... and sharing this is also one of the reasons I started this thread.

2. There may be no further need for the "awareness vs. practices" discussions, and any related confusion some pracitioners may have had.; this three-tiered model is actually well-established (it's used in Kabbalah and Gnostic Christian Kabbalah; other systems, too, I'm sure).

3. It seems fairly well-established that these three levels of readiness are themselves well-established (they've been around for thousands of years, and are in use all over the world) .... thus alleviating concerns held by some AYPers, regarding the potential harm which might come from focus on awareness-centric (dropping all untrue ideas, learning to sustain thoughtless awareness), and/or inquiry-centric (self-inquiry) practice structures.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

This three-tiered model/methodology was developed in the days when the oral tradition (working with a guru, master or teacher) was predominant. Certain schools (Kashmir Shaivism) felt that providing the information, and letting aspirants determine their own readiness levels (in conjunction with outer guru as needed; inner guru, certainly) ... whereas others emphasized the necessity of an external guru.

AYP, as most of us know .... advises the combination of utilizing the lessons, in combination with inner guru (intuition) .... and so, is probably more suited to the self-pacing nature of viewing practices according to readiness level.

I hope this is helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

PS- I do see this as having direct correspondences to "levels of enlightened consciousness", per this thread's title; I'll plan to elaborate on that, in the near future.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:19:15 PM by Kirtanman »

Richvtx1800

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Interesting forum/topic. I have been meditating awhile and am prone to having experiences, but don't know how to interpret most of them.
My most recent one I found on the net and it is exactly what happened to me. I would be very interested to know what you guys think of this because you sound very polished.

In October of 2009 I decided once again it was time to step up my meditation practice. I started with an apple detox, eating a minimum of 6 apples a day and drinking 100 ounces of spring water. This always seems to get me into a higher gear as I prepare to do a personal spiritual retreat at home. Combined with no TV, Radio, Music, or Media of any kind. Like running in to me instead of away from me. I started with two 1 hour periods of meditation a day.
     I have recently adapted to what is called the Egyptian chair pose, instead of using cushions on the floor. Sitting in a chair with back erect but not against the back of the chair, because I do not want to pinch even sightly the channels where energy flows up the spine.
     I decided on a new form of meditation for me, which was coming intuitively. Just sit do not move a finger, an eyelid, a toe or in other words no movement allowed as if someone had a gun to my head and said if you move your dead. I found this helps focusing because you then are not aware of anything other than your thoughts, because that is all that can move.
     Now thoughts are like guests they check in and they check out, so what I am looking for are the spaces in between those guests. It is imperative that I do not use any negative terms to add to the energy of those DAMN THOUGHTS, I'M THINKING AGAIN.
     In a few days I notice, hey I'm empty, my body feels like a hollow statue and there is this total awareness of everything but not one thought in my brain, this feels unique, and then there was bliss. My thinking busy mind had stopped totally,completely and there was a big presence aware of the totality of me that could see the little presence that was what I was before this moment.
     A few days later, a repeat of the same experience brought me to a dot that turned into a star, that I followed into swirling black hole, where I would experience short visits into different dimensions.
     A few days later again I was through the black hole and in a cave where J.C. was standing. This was my first feelings of why? I did not expect to see him because I was not looking for him. Key=no expectations.
     The next day there he was again in the cave but pointing his left arm to an exit into the light. The synchronicity for the next week was almost a comedy, I would wake up in the morning, with something on my mind and the phone would ring and that person would start a conversation about what was on my mind. This was only happening all day long for about a week. I decided I better ground myself a bit so I went out and had a cheeseburger, it worked, things went back to normal.
     Since then I had the urge to turn into a vegetarian, and went to 2 hours, then 3 and now 4 hours day of meditation a day. I had a hard time tracking down an experience such as this but I found it. It appears to be a marked spot on the path in a lot of meditation paths the Taoists call it the "Crystal Cave" and the Hindus call it the "Cave Of Brahma" etc, but you pass though the black hole to get there. And this is what that means.
     "The brain becomes like a temple where the Enlightenment consciousness awakens. This awakening of Enlightenment is seated in the pineal gland, the Cave of Brahma, the House of God, where the Enlightened state is activated and anchored. That means that this state of Enlightenment now becomes permanent, and you can begin to experience God as both form and formless. You may also realize that you have never been separate from the Great Mahavakya, I AM THAT I AM. Even though your mind and emotions may appear separate, you begin to realize that no one can ever really separate themselves from Spirit."
a quote by
Yogiraj Gurunath Siddhanath
see a video of this experience at
http://whoheals.com/evolution-of-the-brain/