Author Topic: 2 years & 1 quarter of AYP  (Read 2830 times)

mr_anderson

• http://thejoyofdying.blogspot.com
2 years & 1 quarter of AYP
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:30:41 AM »
Like to check in every so often to update on the evolution of practice and results. The practices have resulted in an infinitely evolving expression of bliss-consciousness (to use Yogani’s term) manifested via an individual body mind. I like this story because it's a demonstration that diligent spiritual practice produces commensurate results, and AYP did what is was supposed to.

Practices: Twice daily 5 min SBP, 12 min DM. “Just sitting” in the Zen style. Non-dual Self-inquiry-around 5 months of self-inquiry where it became so fascinating that I shut-off all social activity and would just spend all day exploring self-inquiry on the weekends, rush home from work early to do it etc, pretty fanatical. The primary force-Bhakti, very, very intense Bhakti. For a long time when I was younger I considered two options: Terminate my body-mind (suicide) and return to my home in formless Spirit, or relentlessly pursue enlightenment. Nothing could be more important to me than this search has been. As the awakening deepens however, it expands to include a loving, gracious and grateful embrace of material existence, with all its blessed sorrows and difficulties. Also went to Gnan Vidhi, you can look it up. I feel that it erased some karma.

Non-dual:

There's been on/off non-dual awareness for a month or two now. 50% of the time non-dual I guess.

At some point in July/August there was a fairly dramatic “Realization experience” in which I experienced that I absolutely was not the Body/Mind known as Josh Anderson. I experienced that in fact, that body mind is just a constant, impermanent flux of sensations and visual images, arising within timeless, formless awareness. The mind conceived a permanent self out of this constant impermanent flux, but in fact, that conception was erroneous. It was blissful, but the clarity soon became occluded. At this point, self-inquiry intensified to the point of me rarely wanting to leave home except to purchase food and bottled water. I also went on retreat with Rupert Spira which caused a kundalini awakening type experience and non-dual/unity experience. Since then, the clarity of this knowing has continually increased, it’s like a concentric series of waves, much like waves caused by a pebble dropped in a pond, flowing through the body-mind and into its habitual ways of perceiving and thinking and feeling and acting.

So abiding effects are as follows:

Non-dual perceiving: Historically, there has been the sense that an I/ME (the subject, the body-mind) is perceiving a world (the object, other people, things, places). There exists the sense that there is a “Me” who is the perceiver, and a “Not-Me” which is the perceived. Via the increasing clarity of realization, the process of perceiving has gradually been alleviated of this subject/object division. As the sense of there being a Me / Body-mind subject of experience dissolves, everything experienced (from sense perceptions to thoughts to emotions) is just perceived as a constantly changing, impermanent flux of experiencing playing out on the only permanent aspect of experience, the unchanging screen of Awareness. So life itself is just a flow of sensing, seeing and hearing occurring without a separate perceiver or a personal context/self. Caveat – this non-dual perceiving is felt and seen as clearly the case 50 to 60% of the waking hours. The window is not totally clear so to speak, so I continue with practices.

Dissolution of fear and anxiety in all shades and forms: Fear and anxiety arises from the sense of being a personal self, because “bad” things can happen to a personal self. It can be judged negatively, it can lose stuff including its life, it can fail, it can suffer etc. When one no longer feels oneself to be this object and psychology - a physical body and mind, but instead a timeless, formless, awareness within which all forms, including this psychology and object body arise and disappear, that fear gradually becomes unhooked.

Dissolution of judgment/anger: I used to cultivate being non-judgmental as a perceived virtue, which was good. However when in the state where perception is alleviated from the dualistic mis-perception of self/other, it’s actually impossible to judge other people, because there’s no sense of being separate from your perception of them. Therefore life is just lovingly free of even the slightest judgments about other people.

Dissolution of sense of separation: Life being lovingly free of the sense of self/other. This isn't the same as Unity (I'd describe Unity as a heightened state of oneness), it's just an absence of feeling separation.

Dissolution of time and space: This one has been interesting, only started to be clear this weekend. So far the dissolution of time and space is clear maybe 3% of the time. There’s normally the sense that I, a physical object (a body), am moving through a physical space, through a linear progression of time. Instead of this, one feels that I, timeless, formless, non-local yet omnipresent awareness am experiencing an ever-changing impermanent flux of experiencing flowing through me. I am intimately one with this experiencing, that seems to be a world of time, space and form, yet I myself am timeless, formless, non-local.

I’ve felt some love and gratitude, but I think mainly this awakening has affected the chakras around the head. I’m not talking about an intellectual understanding, this has been very, startlingly experiential, an awesome, joyful experience of grace. But I don’t think it’s completely penetrated the entire body mind. There is some outpouring of love to all-beings, and there’s a great letting go of grasping and fear. But intuitively I feel this awakening has only touched the tip of the iceberg, and so am more diligent than ever in commitment to practices, retreats, self-inquiry and spiritual study. For example, the old conditioning still arises and I still act from the fear-based, judgmental separate self sometimes/often.

Conclusion: Thank you and much love to Yogani and everyone, and my non-dual teachers, Rupert Spira, Greg Goode etc. who have helped me a lot. I feel blessed to have had close personal interaction with Rupert, and by e-mail with Greg, before either of them turns into the next Adyashanti and has thousands of followers. People talk about mystery, grace and luck with awakening, maybe it’s so, but I'm not so sure, if you're prepared to die for it, nothing is going to stop you. It can be made to seem by neo-advaitans like there’s no action that can be taken to initiate realization, and in fact, there isn't any such thing as realization, because there's nobody to realize anything. As far as I’m concerned, this is complete nonsense. I took a prescribed, systematic route, and did exactly what I was told, in a formulaic manner. Yogani told me to do spinal breathing and deep meditation twice a day, so I did so unfailingly. I engaged in obsessive self-inquiry at the point where inner silence was deep enough for it to have an effect in my direct experience, rather than be just an intellectual exercise. And it worked. There’s no mystery there and I'm certainly not some special spiritual person who was gifted, just a confused and unhappy soul who used to suffer a lot, and who now is hardly suffering at all. There was just a perfect sequence of cause (diligent spiritual practice & inquiry) and effect (results).

I actually wrote a 6-page PDF to clarify this method of investigation and if you feel like it, it's share on my 4shared account at http://www.4shared.com/folder/OOlrPRZ2/_online.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:30:06 AM by mr_anderson »

Yonatan

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
Nice [:)]

Thank you for sharing Josh [:)]

Very interesting progression, and it gives a lot of inspiration, since some other people, and now you, report a deep awakening using AYP, it really shows the cause-->effect of this path, and that AYP works!! (to be honest there are times where I fall into the thinking that there must be luck or lots of very good karma, to be awakened, so I have to emphasize this point)

Thank you very much. [:)]

nearoanoke

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Josh. This is very useful and interesting. As Adyashanti says, the awakening occurs at head, heart and finally at the gut level. May be the feeling of love and compassion happens when the heart awakens. The awakening at the gut level is when all the "clenching" and holding on will dissipate.

Yonatan,

quote:
to be honest there are times where I fall into the thinking that there must be luck or lots of very good karma, to be awakened, so I have to emphasize this point

The path is definitely quicker for some and karma does have a role to play in this. There are others (probably most of us) for who the journey takes longer. Stories like these are good to read and are further proof that AYP works but our journey takes however long it takes.

- Near

Yonatan

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »
yes, thanks Near

bewell

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »
Josh, thanks for sharing[:)]

cosmic

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »
Very awesome report, Josh! Thanks for the inspiration and hope [:D]

k123

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:40:47 AM »
Hi Josh

That is really inspiring, especially as I identify with a lot of what you say and am very over-sensitive with the practices.  Oh yes and I have also been on a Rupert Spira retreat, he is wonderful!

K123

mr_anderson

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:15 AM »
Glad if this has been of some inspiration.

As a final note, I neglected to mention one part of practice that was of key importance here.

Firstly, I began to inquire "Is it possible that I am something I am aware of?". Typically the thought is "I, the body, experience a world." However this does not stand up to examination. The body is experienced, the body itself does not experience. So we might then say, well then, maybe I, the mind, experience the body. Neither is the case, for all thoughts are experienced/witnessed, they themselves do not experience. The case is similar for emotions. It was quite clear that I'm not a sensation, I'm not an emotion, I'm not a thought, I'm not a visual image, I'm not even a thought that claims I'm an aggregate of all these things. I am not, therefore, something that I am aware of. This inquiry, pursued over the course of several weeks, led to the realization of no-self. The first eureka.

In reality there are no persons, only threads of memories and habits.
- Nisargadatta Maharaj

Secondly, I then began to inquire, if I'm not something that I'm aware of, what is aware? I pursued a similar process. Is a visual image called 'body' aware? The same applied to sensations, thoughts, emotions. People (referring to collections of thoughts, emotions, sensations and images, the aggregate of which we call 'a person') are not aware, people are objects arising to awareness. At this point, the sense of being localized in a body was eliminated, and it was seen the visual image/sensations called body, and its sense of localization, are just objects arising to awareness, along with all the other aspects of the person named 'Josh Anderson' (thoughts, emotions and so on) and in fact, I, awareness, am non-local as I am not an object, simply the subject to which all objects, including those that comprise the imaginary person, arise.

"If you observe awareness steadily, this awareness itself as Guru will reveal the truth" - Ramana Maharshi

What you need is to be aware of being aware - Nisargadatta Maharaj

Thirdly, having determined that non-local awareness was the true subject of experience, I began to familiarize myself with this subject and root my attention upon it.
Awareness itself cannot, by definition be an object. As an experiment, try to look for awareness. Close your eyes and search for it. That search will simply be another impression arising to awareness, since awareness is not an object, you cannot turn your attention to (since any attempt to turn attention to it will just appear as another object arising to awareness). But you can become aware of awareness via a series of techniques. For example, get up and walk around, notice that sensations move and change, images move and change, but ask, does awareness itself move or change? There are plenty of good books to familiarize with the true subject of experience, from Peter Dziuban's Consciousness is All, to Greg Goode's Standing as Awareness, to Rupert Spira's The Art of Peace and Happiness.

They all espouse methods of discrimination whereby we may separate awareness from the objects which arise to it, thereby withdrawing our interest and identification from percepts. Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon also spoke of this method.

"You are that which is aware of the seeking"

Fourth, I began to stop seeking objects, as seeking objects reinforces the false impression of duality, and therefore suffering. Awareness is the true subject, your true nature. I realized much of my spiritual seeking was an attempt to get subtle objects, such as feelings in the body of bliss or happiness. However, Rupert Spira said to me, that happiness is a byproduct of resting as your true nature. By seeking happiness, you identify yourself as the seeker, creating a dualistic division in your experience of the seeker and that which is sought. Simply realize you are the perfect, free, undivided awareness to which this erroneous impulse to seek is arising. Finally seeking stopped, and two things happened, I was able to completely embrace the humanity of the relative self (the body/mind) in all its failure and imperfection, whilst simultaneously realizing the perfect freedom of true nature, the ground of being, awareness.

This fundamentally changes how things are experienced: when identified as human beings, we always feel incomplete and imperfect, and are therefore continually reaching for the next thing - distraction, entertainment, spiritual practice and so forth. We feel we are always moving, changing, doing, getting etc. When one ceases to identify as this collects of percepts, one realizes ones own nature is changeless, unmoving, non-local etc and all this impression of a human is simply arising to it.

This is the dissolution of time and space. Also, as identification with body/mind ceases, and identification as awareness begins, ego dissolves, and it is gradually, increasingly felt that there are no others, it's all not-two. And here's where the first leg of realization has ended, and the second leg: clearing up all interest and attachment to objects, and instead simply resting as my true nature, and thereby realizing the full depth of the undivided, non-dual state begins.

I wrote a 6-page e-book to clarify this method of self-inquiry, it's called, the end of suffering, and I shared it on my 4shared account if you feel any interest: http://www.4shared.com/folder/OOlrPRZ2/_online.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:05:57 AM by mr_anderson »

bewell

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »
Hi Josh,

I read your post and the 4share article last night.  Something new is happening as a result.

Thanks for sharing!

Be

mr_anderson

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 02:52:11 AM »
I'm very pleased to hear this.

To explore further, the best writers on the true subject of experience are:

Colin Drake - Beyond the 'Separate Self' - The End of Anxiety and Mental Suffering

Greg Goode - Standing As Awareness, and The Direct Path : A User Guide

Rupert Spira - I like Rupert's books, but he is at his best when you can see him or hear him, so his website or youtube are best for this. Here is my favorite guided meditation with Rupert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAEwC4VjvyE

Bentinho has a great video which makes it so simple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1KpyQc5kvM

The Seven Steps to Awakening, collected quotes from Ramana, Nisargadatta etc on this subject is quite good, but much of it is unneccessary IMO.

Colin Drake's book is the most easy and simple, and experiential, so I like it the most. Direct Path, A User Guide is good for deeper exploration of learning to discriminate what you are from what you're not.

Peter Dziuban is good, but a little intellectual and I get completely lost by the 5th chapter.

Something is happening for you, and it will become increasingly clear. You simply need to explore with the clear to motivate to see what is true. The beautiful aspect of this insight is its always true, Now. And one word of caution - many states of peace and bliss may arise during this process, awakening experiences and so forth. Always remember nothing that you can experience is it, the Self is simply the awareness which is aware of the experiences. The natural happiness, joy and peace are a consequence of identifying as awareness itself, but all experiences pass and fluctuate, therefore favor attention and identification on that which is aware of experiences, instead of the experiences themselves. Happiness and peace are simply the natural consequence of ceasing to identify with objects and percepts, and instead, identifying only as the unchanging background of awareness to which objects and percepts arise and dissipate.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:58:10 AM by mr_anderson »

bewell

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:02:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

Rupert Spira - I like Rupert's books, but he is at his best when you can see him or hear him, so his website or youtube are best for this. Here is my favorite guided meditation with Rupert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAEwC4VjvyE

Hi Josh,

I listened to the Spira interview and did the meditative exercise at the end.  Sweet.

Thanks,

Greg

Will Power

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »
very inspiring,
Thank you Josh

mr_anderson

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »
glad you guys are enjoying this stuff. yes greg, I love that guided meditation! and so pleased to hear you find it inspiring will power. [:)]

I'm finding more and more I'm just not identified with the thoughts, feelings, sense perceptions and so forth that arise. The effect seems to be growing more and more. It's like a complete end of stress and fear. I find myself as the silent, formless, background of awareness over which all this stuff is flowing.

It's great! If anyone would like a copy of Sri Krishna Atmananda Menon's Atma Darshan and Atma Nirvriti in PDF, please send me a PM with your e-mail address. He was one of the greats, a contemporary of Ramana or Nisargadatta, however after his death his family wouldn't allow his work to be published or distributed because they believed nobody could understand it without the presence of him as a guru.

It's simply not true, and the teachers who have sprung from his lineage: Jean Klein -> Francis Lucille -> Rupert Spira/Greg Goode have shined a great light onto his forgotten work.

Atmananda's taught what he called 'the direct path' - to become conscious of awareness, and then make a consistent effort to only identify as that, until you are unceasingly rooted in your true nature as formless awareness, during sleep and all experiences that may take place during the waking hours.

Some nice quotes from Atma Nirvriti:

20. The Natural State

Variety is in the objects (of consciousness). The perceiving consciousness is one and the same throughout. But because consciousness is commonly seen connected with the objects, change is attributed to that also by delusion.

Objects can never cause any change in consciousness. If consciousness changed, how could it perceive the variety of objects?

Objects undergo that change called destruction. Consciousness alone is changeless. Body, sense-­#8208;organs, mind, will and intellect come under the category of objects.

On account of the inability to see them simply as objects, one supposes them to be changeless through delusion.

Being always the knower, one can never come under the category of the known. Even the word knower is wrong, because the changeless knower is knowledge (consciousness) itself; not an embodied being.

Nothing hides consciousness. It is present in all mental activities such as thought, grief, pleasure, pain, etc. It is in it (consciousness) that all men are carrying on their life's activities.

A man believes he is bound, becomes miserable, seeks liberation and for that purpose approaches a Guru and listens to His teachings. But all this time he was unknowingly standing in pure consciousness alone which is itself the truth he was seeking.

When once he becomes fully aware of this stand he is freed and thenceforward, all thoughts, feelings and objects of perception will be pointing to himself.

kami

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 03:59:31 AM »
Beautiful posts Josh! Thanks for sharing. For one reason or other, I was unable to download the pdf of your e-book [:(]

I stumbled upon Greg Goode's work a couple months ago, and really enjoyed his books, particularly the Direct Path. And based on that, I recently ordered Atmananda's book and yet to start reading it. Along with it, I also got the Ashtavakara Gita/Samhita, which is absolutely fantastic! Was sharing a bit of that book at my Vedanta study group, and was told that the guru that established this Vedanta mission insisted that there were two pieces of work he did not recommend until he was sure the student was ready - the Ashtavakara Gita and the Mandukya Upanishad..

On one hand, I do agree that not everyone maybe "ripe" enough to appreciate these works (hence Atmananda's family's hesitation about publishing his works).. On the other hand, I do think they could lead to profound openings with enough inner silence. For sure, I would not have appreciated Spira, Lucille, Adya, McKenna, Goode, etc until a few months ago.

Have you read any of Douglas Harding's works?

Love,
kami

mr_anderson

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 06:46:30 AM »
thanks Kami. I shot you an e-mail with the ebook. I love the Ashtavakra Gita. It's basically all you need to know! I read a translation by Bart Marshall again and again.

I haven't read the Mandukya Upanishad so I'll have to check that out. Yes you're right about the need for inner silence, even more important is having user-friendly advaita teachings.

The way the teachings of Ramana and Nisargadatta are presented is not particularly user friendly, because of the dialogue format, with people speaking about their personal issues. It's grace that the American "How To" / "D.I.Y.", and easy, accessible mentality has spread into the presentation of advaitic truths, via teachers like Greg.

I have read Douglas Harding, didn't vibe with it at the time, but I'll revisit, it's on my shelf.

love

josh
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:58:38 AM by mr_anderson »