Author Topic: Self-Inquiry -- A Practice Between our Meditations  (Read 16872 times)

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
Self-Inquiry -- A Practice Between our Meditations
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 08:35:08 PM »
Hi all [:)]

I am very happy to see this thread being born in AYP. On my way here I run into Tolle, Katie and Ruiz some years back. They all struck my inner bell.

Tolle: The way he describes his meeting with truth is the best part of the book. You just know - in your heart - that he speaks the truth. So it is a good book to read for those who still doubt. He does give directions: He says to be present to your emotions. This is of course way too general for many people.  It worked for me because I already had a certain amount of presence when I "met" him. (Don't ask me where I got it from......previous lives?....I don't know. Ever since I was a very small child I can remember reverting to this inner silence whenever I was mistreated or badly hurt. I actually remember "knowing" inside that the one hurting me could not "touch me" there).   Tolle clarifies and amplifies the binding/blinding power of "the pain body". Most of all, he pulled me into Now (when I was busy looking everywhere else).

Katie: The best is the simplicity of the method. Four questions. Wow! It is great for cutting through all the BS of the personality/ego. Also - by letting your own name replace the name of the one you accuse of being the reason for your problems - it becomes strikingly obvious where the real source of misery lies. It showed me my whole life was a projection. Katie is a razor - there is no way you escape her cut. (I have never met her in person).
The book itself is bigger than it has to be. I think her point could have been made with less "stories".

Ruiz: I have read all his books and I like his messages a lot. The only problem I had with him was the fact that some of his guidelines actually made me supress my behaviour instead of exposing it. For instance: "Don't take anything personally etc". Well...this led to me supressing the tendency to feel hurt or rejected. It is too late to "not take anything personally" when it has already happened. So for me, it works better to note inside: "Oh....I take that personally. I am hurt now" - and instead of me nullifying this reaction (which I am incapable of anyway) - I watch it until it dies down by itself. I do not, however, act on it. This is a big difference. I allow the hurt/the rejection - but I do not act on it. This I learned from Tolle and A.H.Almaas. Of course, the ability to watch instead of act, also requires inner silence.

Without inner silence you get nowhere near here. Without inner silence, you might as well be doing nothing (meditation [:)]). I strongly agree with Yogani on this. But - when your inner silence has reached a momentum - it would be silly not to use it in your daily life. Just as it would have been silly of me to say no to doing pranayama and samyama, when I found out about them. I am still in awe over how this safely speeds up the inner process.    

Yogani wrote:

quote:
In fact, traditionalists would argue that bhakti and jnana are incompatible. That is sectarian bickering, of course, because bhakti and jnana are two sides of the same coin, and we are that coin!

These two - bhakti and jnana - are definitely compatible. I know so little about Yoga - but when I read about bhakti and jnana, it is perfectly clear to me that this is exactly the two main limbs of my spritual journey. Bhakti and jnana together is what propelled me into Now. Inner silence balanced the two.

quote:
When we talk about jnana and self-inquiry, what we are really talking about is choosing particular inquiries and organic responses deep within us, as opposed to analyzing them in thought.

Yes! Exactly! Self-inquiry is first and foremost seeing what is - not thinking about it. It is of course the presence that sees. The instant the seeing is there - the knots start dissolving. The seeing is the understanding.

May all your Nows be Here

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 11:12:48 PM »
Katrine, I have to say, I find your writing very inspiring. You know how to hit the spot every time... Don't stop...[8D]

Lili

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 01:24:12 AM »
Maybe we should put a dedicated topic for each of the approaches people have tried. E.g. one topic for Tolle and the benefits people got/did not get from applying his teaching, one for Byron Katie, one for Ruiz, one for the Emotional Freedom Technique someone mentioned lately. Just an idea. [:)]

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 01:28:11 AM »
Hi Sean and Katrine:

All I can say is, Wow! Wonderful perspectives. And you have both confirmed that it was the right thing not to tackle self-inquiry in the original AYP lessons.

The basics of cultivating inner silence and ecstatic conductivity are so much more fundamental. Once that is going on, then we can use them in self-inquiry and other real life oriented (between the meditations) yoga methods.

Yes, Sean, those are all self-inquiry methods, and Katrine has really refined the focus on what is involved. If we have some inner presence of witness, then these methods work. And if we do not, it is problematic.

Maybe self-inquiry is best thought of as being like a higher gear in a car, or an afterburner in a jet. Once we reach a certain velocity (with inner silence) then the higher gear or afterburner will add a lot. But before then, it will not work so well. Of course it never hurts to try, and we should, as long as we do not spend years in a technique that is not working for us because we have not cultivated sufficient inner silence first. Self-inquiry, when working, is a confirmation of our inner condition. If it is not working, that is a strong signal to get on that twice-daily deep meditation seat.

Now, how to simplify all this even more? As mentioned, I'd like to condense it into a 100 page book that anyone can use after getting settled into a stable deep meditation routine. I think we have taken a few steps in that direction already.

Thank you, Shanti, for inspiring this "between the meditations" topic. We've all got an oar in the water, and the boat is moving. [:)]  

The guru is in you.

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 05:05:54 AM »
Yogani, thank you for your thank you.[:D].[:D].[:D] but really don't thank me.. the motive behind this inquiry was completely selfish I assure you...You are the only person I know who could write this book and make it simple and effective... now, you know I have a bias towards your research and writings...right?..[:0]..  
I am glad you made of post of it.. this way we can get other opinions.. other angles.. that helps too.
I will be waiting for the 100 page book to be out... ummmm... next year?[;)]???

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 05:16:31 AM »
Hi Yogani and everyone
Yes this can look like a mine field with all the various approaches.

The type of practice that has helped me immeasurably over the past 15 years is the one of identifying our projections. This of course has been mentioned above and also by you in another thread.

This is the one tool that runs through almost every practice of self enquiry that I know of.
It is, I'm sure you know, a complete revealer of our issues that lie hidden to us, and even though we know how the process of projection works it is still often very difficult to come around to the fact that what we are projecting onto "that disgusting person" is in fact the mirror image of our own issues. It's an absolute gem.

Yogani wrote:
My limited understanding of vipassana is that it is a sitting practice. Is there a walking around version? If so, then maybe there is some further overlap there, because the success of all these methods depends on the presence of the witness. In AYP, we do that in deep meditation, and then stabilize it in activity. In Buddhism, they do "mindfulness," a different kind of practice. I don't think that is what I am suggesting for AYP -- we have the witness already from deep meditation. It is mindfulness.

I have'nt practice vispassna formally but read a good book on it years ago. It happened to coincide more or less with what I was doing at the time.
This was:
1.Regognise the projection
2.Make sure you are established in the witness.
3.Allow the thoughts and feelings associated with the projection, which are now in your body and owned by you, to just be there.
4. Breath
For me the feelings would often dissolve in my spine.
The important thing is that these projections can, if not identified, go round and round forever, churning up the same old patterns over and over.
When we hold up the mirror to ourselves we can break that cycle. When it is done with the witness present it, not only is much more powerful, but we can keep our centre and not get overwhealmed by the feelings.

Having said all that, this was my process but I would be at a disadvantage in that I have nat practiced mantra meditation for very long.
I think mantra meditation has a different effect on the system. I have found that if I am angry at someone and I do mantra meditation, the anger disappears and I become peaceful and warm.
So the process might be a little different when practicing mantra meditation, I get the impression that not so many feelings actually come up in the first place - but I could be totally wrong about this, this is just my limited experience so far.

It occured to me that the mirroring type of self enquiry would be very useful if we overdo it a little with the routine practice and find ourselves getting annoyed with someone.

I agree that mantra meditation is "mindfulness". Mindfulness is origionally a Buddhist term but I think it is crossing into almost every field now. It is really the "here and now".
I would see AYP as being totally grounded in mindfulness or the here and now, whatever you want to call it.
It is evident that when we practice mantra meditation that we automatically become more aware in our everyday living. This to me is also living mindfully, the terms are different but the effects are the same.
This is the way it sould be of course and it consolidates that the core of all sound practices are the same.

Personally I like to practice mindfulness throughtout the day and find since I started mantra meditation it has become more pleasant more often. It is like the mantra meditation is more powerful for me and leaves me in this beautiful serene place from which I can -look at a cup, see and feel it going to my lips, feel the liquid passing into my mouth etc etc. It is wonderful when it is kick started with AYP.

There is also a book called "The Power of Intention" don't know if anyone has read it, but it gives another powerful approach.

But enough rambling for now.

Hope this helps[:)]
Louis

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 05:24:17 AM »
Shanti wrote:

quote:
Katrine, I have to say, I find your writing very inspiring. You know how to hit the spot every time... Don't stop...

I am glad, Shanti [:)]
I am inspired by all of you.

And I don't think I could stop even if I wanted to......it is (luckily) out of my hands now. [:D]

May all your Nows be Here

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 06:28:19 AM »
Hi Lili:

Nice to see you again. Yes, creating some separate topics for the different methods may be a good approach, as each method is a world in itself. I don't know how deep we will end up going into each method. It is up to all of you. I have been looking to light this one off for some time, as I know everyone is interested in "what more" can be done during the day. Hopefully, we can put a good foundation under it -- inner silence. Then it will be okay, and all of these methods will be at their best.

Anyone wishing to start new topics on various approaches involving discrimination and the intellect (jnana), feel free. Bhakti and karma yoga topics are good too -- there is plenty of overlap.

The guru is in you.

nearoanoke

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 01:20:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Sean and Katrine:

All I can say is, Wow! Wonderful perspectives. And you have both confirmed that it was the right thing not to tackle self-inquiry in the original AYP lessons.

It is really best not to include these into AYP. Not including them definitely makes AYP more saleable than other systems. For the readers/practitioners it is always the effort versus results. The yama/niyamas, self-inquiry and others can really make the practitioner feel that he is doing a lot but not getting any results which might make him move away from the practices.

There were lot of yoga systems but the best thing about AYP is that it will get you started. The writings are very inspirational and stress again and again about the importance of getting started.

-Near

sean

• http://www.thetaobums.com/forum
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 03:18:48 PM »
I think a method of self-inquiry should be included in the AYP material. I agree with Yogani strongly that inner silence is the foundation and I also think that good methods of self-inquiry are vital to the evolution of consciousness.

Ken Wilber makes an excellent case for the position that meditation alone cannot truly clean all your junk. In fact he even goes so far as to say that meditation can be a great way to hang on to really dark features of your shadow.

Part of the reasoning is that meditation is limited to taking a first person person perspective to phenemonon which produces a deep awareness of states of consciousness. Whereas very important findings that are coming out of the research of developmental psychologists are ways in which humans develop through stages of consciousness over time. Stages are discovered through statistically analyzing thousands of people and are mostly invisible to a meditator. States can fluctuate from moment to moment. But breaking through to a new stage is permanent. Meditation is probably the single most important thing you can do to move through stages, but again I think it needs help as we can all see from the dozens of highly advanced meditators we all know about that were super messed up in other areas of their life. It's common sense now that a meditator can stabilize very high states of consciousness while remaining stuck at low stages of development. For example, someone can be blissed out in samadhi yet be at a low emotional or cognitive stage of development. I believe self-inquiry is a absolutely essential tool to couple with meditation to move us past the age of blissful gurus with closets full of shadows.

Just my two cents.

Sean

http://www.thetaobums.com/forum
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 07:18:30 PM by sean »

satyan

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 11:06:22 PM »
hi yogani,

thanks for the enlightening and broad reply.  surely, i will not try anything like living on the sunlight even if i get that information from somewhere unless and until i have direct experience because as you have told always "The guru is in you" and that is the best part of AYP each having a different kind of experience for the same goal.

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 12:51:41 AM »
Hi Near:

The difference between this discussion and others in AYP is that we are investigating various approaches to self-inquiry with the aim of distilling out a simple and practical approach that will be useful for people who are already practicing AYP deep meditation. So, in that sense, your concern is being addressed. The systems we look at here are not being endorsed necessarily, only examined for their value. In the end, I hope something useful will come out of it. In the meantime, everyone will no doubt develop their own opinions about self-inquiry, which is very good too. AYP does not dictate any particular style for our daily living. These approaches are for daily living, so variations in style are to be expected.

Whichever way it goes, as inner silence rises, most of us are inclined to do something useful with it. Samyama is for that. And so is self-inquiry.

I have seen cases like Sean mentioned, in cloistered meditative environments, where meditators with lots of inner silence could not handle the fact that the salt shaker had been moved to the wrong end of the table. That is a very limited and conditioned enlightenment. We want to take our inner silence and develop it into unconditional enlightenment. That means getting involved in life. That is why I say go out and engage after meditation, and pay attention (inquire). Whether we are using other systematic approaches to living or not, this alone will produce an integration of inner silence into our life. And also ecstatic conductivity, when it rises -- there are interesting new perspectives on the relationship of ecstatic conductivity and inner silence in activity in the new AYP Spinal Breathing book coming out in a few weeks -- explaining much better what we mean by "stillness in action."

The guru is in you.

Lili

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 06:16:02 AM »
It is really cool that the new book is coming out in a few weeks only. I am looking forward [:)]

Frank-in-SanDiego

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 02:18:33 PM »
Hari Om
~~~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

One thing I am against is turning us into highly disciplined all day long "practice robots"...Not only does that not work, it is not much fun either. I strongly believe that whatever we do ought to be a joy in daily life.

Hello Yogani,
Yes, this all day thing perhaps may be good for some, yet for the householder, it's not practical. That said  the joy part is so so important.  Some may shrug this off as a by-product of their practice, as it comes in 'glimpses and snippets'. Yet I suggest this is a good thing and is the essence of creation. Do we get attached to it, nope, but do we appreciate it, yes. There is multiple reasons for this joy and delight.  This essence of delight is at the core of existence, this is the famed soma that the rishi's have experienced and expressed in the Ved. This essence is divine.

This soma is rarely understood, and many a scholar ( east and west), not keen on how the rishi's viewed the works of creation , takes the soma for a physical thing ( of all things wine). Soma is known as a creeper, as the moon, Chandra, etc. Perhaps at a later date a post on this would be of interest to some. I am continually in awe when reading the insights of the past sages and the knowledge they possess. The key is reading from sadhu's and pundits that 'get it' and/or of enlightened sight.

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 11:22:09 PM »
I agree. There is an area between "all day practice robots" and "all day joy" however for some personality types, and some times.
I have learned that not being joyful can become a habit, or sort of addiction, and it's not hard to break by endeavouring to keep my perception in line. So at times this might seem like practice robot stuff, but I see it more like "surfing" reality, where certain controls are monitored, and the results are much more pleasurable and fun.
This may only apply to some of us who have learned errant thought or perception patterns, I don't know. But I'll start to get in a bad mood (for days) and have to force myself to improve it, all it takes is a decision with volition behind it, and other times I start thinking so much I'm not paying attention to the moment, and again, decide to be more mindful. Other times I may have the habit of concentrating on one goal in the back of my mind, like whether people like me or not, and forget to have fun and not care. So my self inquiry includes a checklist of minor corrections that make a big difference in day to day life.