Author Topic: Non-duality  (Read 1411 times)

AYPforum

Non-duality
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 04:20:40 AM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement

yogani

• AYP Plus
Non-duality
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 04:32:03 AM »
Hi Joanna, and welcome to the forums! [:)]

There is no doubt that non-duality rules in the realm of mind. How can we ignore it, now that science has informed us that all things are the expression of one thing? Of course, the sages have known this for centuries, by direct perception.

I think most of us would prefer to be perceiving non-duality directly, rather than be thinking about it in ways that deny our current life experience, or putting that burden on others. Changing our perception requires some means, and an inner process of transformation, since perception is a function of our neurobiology. It takes some time. That is not a bad thing.

No one can become an olympic athlete overnight. This is a downside found in many non-duality (advaita) paths, where practical methods for unfolding the direct perception of non-duality are often shunned, while the mind is left to run in circles with concepts. Little will change. Ask around, and you will find that this is true. Never mind the glowing proclamations of instant enlightenment written in books, or offered by a self-assured person sitting at the front of the room. Go see what is really happening out there among the people. It is not so clean and neat.

With rare exceptions, the great advaita teachers themselves went through years and years of arduous practices in their lifetime (and those who didn't, likely did it in previous lives), to finally arrive at their often-touted "instant transformation." Come on ... is that true?

Now-a-days, more practical approaches to the matter of realization are coming forward. Like maybe meditation can help in our realization of non-duality? If all this is stillness, wouldn't it make sense to directly experience IT abiding within us first? Then the inquiry, discrimination, or affirmation can proceed much more effectively from there. Abiding inner silence/stillness is, after all, the essential ingredient in letting go of the habit of perceiving and identifying with duality as being outside the play of unity.

The AYP Self-Inquiry book is about this, designed to be a helpful companion to anyone on any non-dual/advaita/jnana path.

And what is non-duality really like? Why, it is stillness in action, of course. A never-ending ecstatic dance of the One. We are That.

It is not a matter of mind, though the mind can provide the logical inspiration for pursuing realization, and the means for transcending itself (which by any other name is still meditation). Realization is a matter of direct perception, and that means purifying and opening the neurobiology. There is no way around it. Realization is a whole body/mind/heart experience. The good news is that we are wired for it. We all sense this inside. It is just a matter of doing what is necessary to unfold our natural condition. Fortunately, we have many effective tools available today to aid in this. Why not use them?

As far as I know, taking an airplane is still the fastest way to get from New York to Los Angeles. If there were a way to get there (or anywhere) instantly, we'd all jump on, right? Likewise, as far as I know, daily spiritual practice over time is still the surest way to realize enlightenment. If there were an instant way to realize it, I'm sure we'd all jump on. Maybe someday for both, but not yet.

The fact is, today, the "instant approaches" take much longer, because they tend to be sectarian and closed to innovation. Much better, I think, to take a more pragmatic and effective approach. When it comes to advaita, it often boils down to a choice between embracing a philosophy (for better or worse), versus approaching the thing itself in a more flexible manner. It does not have to either/or. Integrated solutions are often found to be the best solutions.

We tend to be doers here in the AYP community, driven ever-forward by the intensity of our spiritual desire (bhakti). Of course, we are always looking for faster ways. We'd all like to be there like right now, but not by make-believe. We want the real thing. So we stay on the path, and notice as it is gradually disappearing beneath our feet along the way. That is the fun part...      

Wishing you all the best on your path, non-path, or disappearing path, whichever the case may be. Whatever works! [:)]

The guru is in you.

PS: This topic is being moved to the "Bhakti, Jnana and Karma Yoga" forum category. Be sure to check related topics there.

PPS: See also: http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=3610

yogibear

Non-duality
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 10:52:56 AM »
Hi Joanna,

quote:
Joanna wrote:

The reason I was interested in knowing if Yogani has reached self-realisation is that a lot of forum members seem to have developed a fawning, sycophantic attitue to him, which I suspect he finds a little worrying himself, whether he is self-realised or not.

Speaking only for myself, the reason I have such a fawning pyschophantic attitude towards Yogani (Hi Yogani [:I][:D][8D]) is because I think he has an awfully good handle on many aspects of human evolution, based on direct experience.

These people are so rare.

From what I have read in his books, etc., he has an extremely deep understanding of what is important and unimportant. And he makes it so easy to understand and apply. This is my perception. I have total agreement with most of what he says based on my own direct experience and my own reasoning and studying.

It, as they say, resonates.

Again, I think he speaks and writes from vast direct experience. That is my reality. jmo.

I could be wrong. I am just an old bhogi. What do I know?

Anyways, welcome to the forum. I feel lucky to have found it and I hope you benefit from it as much as I have.

Best wishes, yb.

cosmic_troll

Non-duality
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 08:44:17 PM »
Hi Joanna, welcome to the forums!

Great questions [:D]

Having explored the subject of non-duality, please explain:

How does one experience non-duality?

I ask because I "agree with" the non-dual view on an intellectual level, but the actual experience of non-duality eludes me.

Any experiences/teachings you can share will be appreciated.

Thanks!
cosmic

yogani

• AYP Plus
Non-duality
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 04:28:43 AM »
Hi All:

It might be good to add that the experience of non-duality will always be a paradox in concept, because it cannot be captured by the mind.

Does the phrase "stillness in action" make any sense? Maybe not. But that is what the experience of non-duality is. It is not a sterile condition, detached from life. It is just the opposite. It is the fullest possible engagement in an unending flow of Love, because we are That in everything we see everywhere we go. It is unity lived in diversity. More paradoxical words...

We often hear that non-duality is non-existence and that nothing else is really happening. This boggles the mind too, no doubt, because it defies our everyday experience. Personally, I think the "nothing is happening" description is a poor way to explain it, because it tends to place people in denial of their direct perception of life. This is not healthy. It is non-duality based on a divisive thought. That makes no sense at all. It is the very thing it is denying -- a dualistic view!

If we are going to speak in paradoxes, let it be in ones that include our everyday experiences, and not denying them. It is only a matter of expanding our perception. Then we gradually come to see the unity in all things -- the appearance of duality residing and playing within non-duality. Then we come to know we are stillness in action, and we don't have to be embarrassed about it, deny it, or pretend it isn't there. It is what it is.

The nature and flow of life can't be negated by philosophical proclamations or games of logic. But it can be directly perceived and lived in non-duality without even thinking about it. That is the "immovable and moving" silent witness "seeing and being seen" in all that is, and there is no fear in that. It is freedom.

That's why the AYP Self-Inquiry book has the subtitle, "Dawn of the Witness and the End of Suffering."

Regardless of the descriptions we may come up with for non-duality, the actual experience of it will not be changed. It is an evolution in functioning of the nervous system that is accessible to everyone. We may as well use descriptions that are inclusive and inspire us to take the journey of expanding our perception, rather than attempting to deny everything that is going on around us. The latter, when taken as a singular approach, is a very tough road to hoe.

The interesting thing is that yoga can easily accommodate advaita (non-duality), but advaita sometimes has a hard time accommodating yoga. What's that about? [8D]  

The guru is in you.

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
Non-duality
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 05:11:42 AM »
quote:
The interesting thing is that yoga can easily accommodate advaita (non-duality), but advaita sometimes has a hard time accommodating yoga. What's that about?  

*laughing*

.....*and still laughing*.......

Yogani......you do have a way with words.....[:D]

It is as you say.....where we ARE AT at any given time (NOW) includes our identifications with linear, conceptual "life". How can it not....*laughing*.....it is all already one, right? Everything (I am still laughing....it is so hilarious) must be included in oneness, no?  It never truly helped me to "know" -in a conceptual way - that we are all one. As long as I don't perceive it.....all it does is attach me to a distant future....to that which is non existant.

While as the gentle practise of deep meditation calls me closer and closer to home........deeper and deeper into lucid love.....spreading throughout the day and night.

It is not the mental belief that brings the shine into view....it is the capability of the nervous system.

So paradoxically....teaching non-duality - "Just be" -  through a theory....through "just talk" is not so fruitful as it sounds. You have to be very ripe to awaken from that alone......it is the presence of the advaita teacher - by entrainment - that is the true teaching. But in order to resonate with it....you must be close to it yourself. And not all are.....most of us are not.  And when I come to the point (NOW) that I consciously AM IT ......I am my own teacher....the guru within......and God knows this may appear to happen instantly....since it is all NOW.....but maturity actually comes in season. Through proper fertilization, nourishment and light.

Oh.....it is so funny.....
Especially since I love both Yoga and Advaita.....[:D]