Author Topic: Books: BE AS YOU ARE, I AM THAT, BEFORE I AM  (Read 1042 times)

now here

Books: BE AS YOU ARE, I AM THAT, BEFORE I AM
« on: April 13, 2014, 04:58:38 AM »
Sri Ramana Maharshi - Be as You Are
Nisargadatta Maharaj - I Am That
Mooji - Before I Am

Which of these self-inquiry books is most compatible with AYP?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:09:26 PM by now here »

tonightsthenight

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »
Not sure but if they're legit they're all saying the same thing!

jonesboy

• http://community.livingunbound.net/
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:22:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

Not sure but if they're legit they're all saying the same thing!

lol [:D]

They all should be fine now here.

now here

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:32 AM »
I don't want one of those "you are already awake" kind of books that disregards meditation and the world because "it's all an illusion". "Awakening to the dream" is a perfect example of such a book. I've read it and thought it was useless. Here are some interesting points: http://www.amazon.com/Awakening-Dream-Leo-Hartong/product-reviews/0954779215/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:16:53 PM by now here »

catrynn

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:43:16 PM »
Perhaps you could look at The Presence Process by Michael Brown.  It teaches us to 'be here, now in this'.

Don't just read it to integrate emotional charges. It is far more than that.  

Go into the non-duality of 'being here now in this' and see where it goes.  It may surprise you.

You may learn what 'now here' really is! [;)]

[3] Catherine

emc

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:52:48 AM »
I second Catherine on that! TPP [OM]

now here

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 09:18:44 AM »
I've decided not to engage in any kind of self-inquiry. I'm not sure if it's even a worthwhile practice for anyone. Seems like a form of self-hypnosis to me.

BillinL.A.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
Socrates: "The unexamined life is not worth living".

Now Here there's tons of people on this forum who have said self inquiry is extra effective after they've made progress in meditation.

now here

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
Isn't that just noticing the new state you are in with the risk of intellectualizing it?

karl

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by now here

I don't want one of those "you are already awake" kind of books that disregards meditation and the world because "it's all an illusion". "Awakening to the dream" is a perfect example of such a book. I've read it and thought it was useless. Here are some interesting points: http://www.amazon.com/Awakening-Dream-Leo-Hartong/product-reviews/0954779215/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

[:D]LOL  what did you expect. All the books are IN and OF the illusion. Written in a language and form that you can comprehend so easily. Reject or accept.

Relax it isn't a race. There are no perfect texts. You interpret them by the light of your own perception.

jonesboy

• http://community.livingunbound.net/
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 06:24:26 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by now here

Isn't that just noticing the new state you are in with the risk of intellectualizing it?

No my friend. Self inquiry is about examining your thoughts. A great book to start out on is Loving What Is by Byron Katie. Amazing and a book everyone should read.

Now Yogani does talk about making this, a trap of the mind in which we fall into. It is easy to do but still different than intellectualizing it.

karl

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 07:17:22 AM »
With the proviso that meditation practice is firmly established and some stillness has been found.

No one can forbid self inquiry but it can be somewhat confusing for those that try it without those prerequisites. Even with steady practice it can prove a destabilising distraction.

The books mentioned are all great works but are filled with frustrating and inconclusive answers for the novice. They point back to the self like a finger pointing backwards and really say what Yogani always has ' the Guru is in you'.

For those trying to progress faster it can be a temporary slap in the face which guides them back to steady practice, grounding and self pacing which is good. However it can equally baffle and confuse people and cause unnecessary delay whilst they go out of the way to investigate this potential rocket booster.

Those that don't heed the warning can go off with a safety rope attached if they understand what is being said. If they find the experience to be overwhelming or antagonising then they can haul back to here.

All we need is to attend to the steady 20 minute twice daily practices - I do only one session these days. We can add spinal pranayama and Sanyama when we are firmly established and attending to self pacing and grounding. Then it might be worth looking at self inquiry when we are coping well.

BKs book is an excellent add on and good material for the novice as it completes the circle  in the material sense. It isn't really self inquiry though.