Author Topic: 14 Spiritual Myths? For inquiry.  (Read 2839 times)

parvati9

14 Spiritual Myths? For inquiry.
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 01:11:10 AM »
To each his own.  Everyone must blaze the trail of their own path.  This is not a second hand endeavor.  It is ultimately neither structured nor secured by the well intentioned advice of scriptures, stories or procedures that have been found to be effective for others.  What follows is more an experiencial report than a statement of fact and is in no way to be interpreted as advice or guidance.  I think it will pale in comparison to all the above insightful comments.  In my opinion everyone has made a valid and significant contribution.

Generally it takes a fairly long period of consistent application to gradually stabilize in pure awareness, as it percolates to ever deeper levels.  How long it takes, however, is according to one's proclivity for processing the transformation/ realization.  And it could theoretically take place in a split second simultaneously.  It doesn't just happen automatically though.  Earnestness is involved and required.

The stabilization period may be appropriately viewed as refinement, opening and/or purification.  With the advent of blockage removal at progressively deeper levels, some degree of emotional purging is to be expected.  Although that would vary considerably on an individual basis.  

Prayer and contemplation are viable practices as are the internal martial arts.  In general practices - and meditation in particular - are necessary for some people but certainly not everyone.  There is no need to disparage the path that others have chosen for themselves, and it would be hard to speculate which path would be best for any given individual anyway.  We all have to determine that for ourselves.

While there will be some elements of this journey that may appear to be similar to the paths others are on ... in reality this is an individually unique journey and ultimately we must each find our own way through the spiritual wilderness.

love
parvati

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 02:17:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

It is the identification of our awareness with these things (seeing them as part of self) that causes suffering.

quote:

To emphasize, what ends suffering is not changing our point of view, or attitude, or considering doing so. It is the cultivation of inner awareness that dissolves the identification of self with all of these simultaneously.

Speaking only for myself, but for me, even believing ideas like "it is the cultivation of inner awareness that ends suffering" causes suffering for me.  When I identify with beliefs (even positive, "life-affirming" beliefs) like this I find that I am subtly trying to align my path with those that I have put on a pedestal and if I look closely at this I find that it indicates I am not okay with things the way they are and have fallen into misperception.

Love,
Carson [^]

parvati9

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 04:02:47 AM »
To Carson

Being okay with things as they are may be a pedestal too.  

love
parvati

edited for brevity
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:19:19 AM by parvati9 »

Experientialknowing

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »
Nicely written, good truth.

quote:
Originally posted by parvati9

To each his own.  Everyone must blaze the trail of their own path.  This is not a second hand endeavor.  It is ultimately neither structured nor secured by the well intentioned advice of scriptures, stories or procedures that have been found to be effective for others.  What follows is more an experiencial report than a statement of fact and is in no way to be interpreted as advice or guidance.  I think it will pale in comparison to all the above insightful comments.  In my opinion everyone has made a valid and significant contribution.

Generally it takes a fairly long period of consistent application to gradually stabilize in pure awareness, as it percolates to ever deeper levels.  How long it takes, however, is according to one's proclivity for processing the transformation/ realization.  And it could theoretically take place in a split second simultaneously.  It doesn't just happen automatically though.  Earnestness is involved and required.

The stabilization period may be appropriately viewed as refinement, opening and/or purification.  With the advent of blockage removal at progressively deeper levels, some degree of emotional purging is to be expected.  Although that would vary considerably on an individual basis.  

Prayer and contemplation are viable practices as are the internal martial arts.  In general practices - and meditation in particular - are necessary for some people but certainly not everyone.  There is no need to disparage the path that others have chosen for themselves, and it would be hard to speculate which path would be best for any given individual anyway.  We all have to determine that for ourselves.

While there will be some elements of this journey that may appear to be similar to the paths others are on ... in reality this is an individually unique journey and ultimately we must each find our own way through the spiritual wilderness.

love
parvati

SeySorciere

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
Question: What does "spiritually advanced" or "spiritual evolved" Human beings even mean??

May I add another Myth?
Once the crown is open and you can see the Lotus Flower and higher chakras and all sorts of other crap, you are spiritually advanced?
Not! Now that I am there, I find I am no where near Sainthood [:D]
Slight improvement in behaviour - yes, but still missing the mark more often than not.

[OM]

Sey

Experientialknowing

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 06:37:05 AM »
Good Observation, I think we have to consider in human enterprise of any kind marketing is always present.

So novice human = young new to human existence being likely but not necessarily limited to those we consider criminals that cannot participate in society in a peaceful manner as they have not yet been human often enough to get it and coexist with others so they are remanded to incarceration facilities since they lack self control.

Here is an example:

I'll use traffic as it has been used here already.

A person cuts you off or lets say pulls out in front of you but does not accelerate just continues creeping making you slam on the brakes.

1. The young type person relatively inexperienced with Human incarnations hits the brakes then in a fit of rage may ram them in the rear bumper or pulls along side the person cursing throwing a tantrum perhaps even sideswiping them or shooting them having an overwhelming desire to get even. This in my view would be a person of lesser self control which is akin to spiritually less advanced, or perhaps it is less experienced with living in the human condition.

At this stage a person is one with their impulses and there is no discriminating witness, action = automatic reaction, you hit me I hit you back harder maybe even kill you for hitting me is the motto.

2. The next degree up on the rung would like this: the person in question is subjected to the same stimulus is alarmed hits the brakes get pissed off at the jerk in front of them may even hit the horn and lean on it for a long time and or flip them off. This is the extent of the reaction.

At this stage a person is being inflamed to the point of near retaliatory action and it would not take much to tip the balance in favor of violence. It is here where restraint is being practiced the impulse to do something is there and is partially acted upon before reasoning mind manages to abort it completely. At this stage the impulse is felt as it nearly becomes action.

Automatic reaction with restraint, you hit me I hit you back just as hard but only if I can get away with it is the motto.

3.The next degree up on the rung same conditions person is alarmed hits the brakes blows the horn and has elevated blood pressure but does not have such extreme dialog going on in their head as the one before still considers person a jerk separate less deserving of existence and lesser than themselves.

At this stage a person is completely restrained and has self control as they can now feel the impulse to violence and abort it before it becomes anything but they are suppressing it and this leads to extreme frustration.

The Motto here is I wish these damned idiots would learn how to drive.

4. The next degree Hits the brakes at the same time viewing the rear view mirror and seeing someone tight in behind them controls the speed of their vehicle to compensate for the one in front and behind. Can be alarmed but mostly is dispassionate and feeling calculating an outcome that serves the situation best.

At this stage a person is well aware of what can cause the impulses and knowing they do not want to be placed in situations where they will experience frustration take more responsibility for their position on the road by paying greater attention to their situational awareness and participating in the process by making their own driving more predictable to others.  

The motto here is: I have to drive for the other person as well as myself.

5. In the next degree the driver is aware of what is behind him as well as in front and is scanning the road several car lengths in advance and already realizes there is no hope of making the light so they begin decelerating in advance when the person pops out it is not a surprise but one is still annoyed by such lack of consideration and lack of situational awareness on the other persons part for driving like this. On top of it all the person behind them is impatient so they zoom around only to arrive at the red light seconds in advance of the more controlled one. This driver thinks, my how foolish and is still carrying on dialogs in his head.

In this degree the person not only feels the beginnings of an impulse knows where they lead and become but actively does their best to absentee themselves while still participating on the road.

The motto here is: It is better to let others pass than become entangled with the activity.

6. The next rung up all conditions remain the same but one feels connectivity with the goings on around them brought about by more inner silence and peace in a participating manner so there is nothing personal whatsoever at all and the goings on are reduced to quantum's of activities everything is just moving about and there is no meaning attached to any of it.

At this stage Impulses do not even come up in the first place as the samaskaras have unwound to a large degree and inner silence is firmly in place a large degree most of the time.

In this instance the person is driving down an ice coated mountain top and the rear end of the vehicle starts coming around they correct this dispassionately bringing the rear end back to straight then it goes the other way they correct this then it goes the other way.

Realizing this is the way it is going to happen they abort all further attempts at correcting the physics of the situation and simply think well ok God how bad is this going to be? and witness the vehicle spinning down the mountain with them in it watching the taillights in front of them and the headlights behind as they spin. As they spin they fully appreciate the seriousness of what is happening and in what could be their final moments as a whole living person thoroughly enjoy the moment by being here now to the largest extent possible.

Time then dilates and slows, while this is going on one feels their tiny self expanding and are one with God and the feeling is that of an electric magnetic embrace being within the cosmic womb and the reality of the situation is what it is but the reality of what you are encompasses the event transpiring in linear time. It is alright and there is nothing left to do but witness and accept the impact by relaxing into just being.

Once the vehicles nose strikes the concrete barrier at he bottom of the mountain and is on the side of the road in the piled up snow the person makes sure they are not sticking out in the road confirming this gets out of the vehicle and asses's the damage then gets back on the road or not after observing traffic coming down that same mountain at a much reduced rate of speed after having been treated to the spectacle that just transpired.

This is from actual experience.

Still this person can experience bouts of backsliding to number 5. in the list. So beyond this I really can not speak most of the time I find myself firmly between 5 and 6. and always even in sleep the witness.

But does that make me spiritually advanced? I don't think so I believe what it makes me is experienced with living human lifetimes, and perhaps they are the same thing?

Things like you describe are indeed milestones as you have experienced but experience is the path of yoga which is the opposite of non duality ( so kind of out of place here but a valid statement any way ) it is still a good observation.

To consider such experiences happening as induced by sadhana which is in and of itself an artificial practice may be forcing experiences that come in due time and therefore are not equal to the statement of being indicative of spiritually advanced or not.

This leads to the the topic of inner silence. Can Sadhana lead to inner silence? the answer is yes it can. Can a person arrive at inner silence by just living I suppose so if they have had enough lifetimes.

So if we take this into consideration the sales pitch of Kriya for example starts to make sense the airplane route to self realization versus the bullock cart of plodding through numerous human lifetimes.

This then means that it is a difference that makes no difference. How one arrives at more inner silence and operating from the witness state to increasing degrees appears to be the operative thing that counts no matter what path is taken to arrive.

Inner silence is the reward of sadhana, Inner silence the dawning of Self Realization. Inner silence the reward of living many lifetimes. These days I greatly appreciate the inner silence most of all, being the witness gets boring the silence is always EVER NEW.

On the topic of Advaita a word forgotten long ago it is just something that comes in degrees over time on it's own so making a big stink about it seems counter intuitive.

Trying to talk about it even worse than attempting to describe Samadhi. In my opinion it is better to discuss it in theory and practice related to it one may do as any attempt to discuss it takes one into the realm of experience which is not the same as experience requires duality.

There is also a danger with Advaita and that is the deception of intellect. I suspect people truly capable of Advaita or self inquiry alone are rare. This is one of the reasons I strongly support Yogani's posts in this thread.

One of the most well recognized and respected persons ever to walk the planet in recorded times Ramana Maharishi who was all about self Inquiry is recorded as saying the ones best suited to his teaching were already like dry wood ready to catch fire.

My first exposure to this teacher was through the book Concentration by a student of his writing under the name Mouni Sadhu when I was 14 or 15 years old. More on him here.

http://www.mounisadhu.com/mouni-sadhu-books.html

I myself have always been too damp but at least recognize it and this is where I fear many are fooling themselves which is extremely easy to do with this approach lots of pundants few sages, even fewer saints.

Okay this was too long.

quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Question: What does "spiritually advanced" or "spiritual evolved" Human beings even mean??

May I add another Myth?
Once the crown is open and you can see the Lotus Flower and higher chakras and all sorts of other crap, you are spiritually advanced?
Not! Now that I am there, I find I am no where near Sainthood [:D]
Slight improvement in behaviour - yes, but still missing the mark more often than not.

[OM]

Sey

SeySorciere

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
Definitely too long [:D][:D] but much appreciated [/\]

I particularly like the "Time dilates and slows" as I have been experiencing just that. If I stay chill and move out of the way, "I" get to do everything I need to do on time!

[^]

Sey

Holy

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 05:16:06 AM »
Hi all,

when reading the initial post, the answer here was also, neither nor. The moment a word forms in the mind, the problem begins :P Even the intention to form a word.. but what to do if it just happens ;)

To the rest of the posts, a story of a yogi comes to my mind, who was sitting in the himalayan regions in some asana and meditating. A sadhu came by and said to this yogi "hey, why are you meditating, there is no need to meditate, you are already this and that" The yogi not responding, sitting in bliss. The yogi later said to the audience "I prefer sitting in bliss rather than walking and talking :P" This yogi is known as Gurunath, just couldn't find the youtube vid anymore :D

So what to say about all of this, it is everyones own preference. As you like,

peace friends :)

CarsonZi

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 05:41:46 AM »
Some paths require sitting in the mud, not in the bliss. [:)]

NoDogma

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »
@Holy: Looks like Gurunath has started talking quite a bit [:D]

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »
quote:

Hi Anthem:

Could be wrong, but it still looks like an attitude from here. And even if it were not, and even if it is only your point of view, it still has an influence on others when left unqualified without the prerequisites.

Hi Yogani,

Apologies for the delayed reply, I was away for a few days.

This is the self-inquiry forum, and just a reminder that this original post was a list of topics for inquiry. You did change the direction of this thread pretty substantially with your concerns that I was endorsing non-practice, or short-cuts, or not recognizing that consciousness varies from person to person or influencing people in an irresponsible way, or trying to spread attitudinal knowledge etc. These are your assumptions/ projections/ fears and have nothing to do with me or what I have been saying. I am sharing the way I see things, hopefully there is room for this. The original list was to provide some inquiry for the pitfalls that I have experienced in the past and the intention was to be helpful, it probably isn't necessary, but not everyone needs to learn the hard way like I do at times.

Listing my pre-requisites each time I post is probably not realistic, but just to point out, most of it is here on the forum dating back almost 10 years over a thousand posts. I am happy to post in Other Systems if you feel it would be more appropriate?

Now if you want to have a good solid discussion that helps in seeing things more clearly, I am all for that.

quote:
Aside from all that, your underlying premise is suspect. Is it really seeking outside that causes suffering? Is it setting goals and working toward them that causes suffering? Is it whether we regard the dog as angry or not that determines our state of being? Is it our beliefs that cause suffering? Must we let go of all that to find peace? I think not, at least not in how we continue to function in the world.

In all of these, it is not the act, attitude, or belief that causes suffering. It is the identification of our awareness with these things (seeing them as part of self) that causes suffering. Likewise, identification with the goal of ending seeking and beliefs will also cause suffering. It is as much a trap as all the rest of it. Again, not necessarily talking about you, but looking across a wide spectrum of seekers.

Yes, I see it this way as well, it comes down to identification with any of these that causes suffering. I would add, if someone is acting on a belief, arguing/ fighting for it, needing to be right, there is an emotional charge involved etc., it is likely a sign of identification, so it doesn't really matter. If you see through beliefs, you see through identification. Yes a belief can arise in the mind and depart in silence, but then it is recognized that we don't really know anything (absolutely) in the end anyway. And knowing this isn't enough often, it still needs to be lived again and again.

Yes having a goal to end seeking or beliefs would likely cause suffering. I prefer walking the path in front of me and seeing and hopefully understanding the learning that life brings my way. As mentioned a few posts ago, it is an ongoing life long process of continuous learning (seeing), and there is no end. Again my path at this moment in time, not an endorsement for anyone to follow this. Each person's path is uniquely theirs to walk and discover.

Also, I'm really not too concerned about traps. What do I have to be afraid of with this? I fall into traps all the time, how else would I learn? Where else does wisdom come from? As you mention, with increasing awareness, it will all fade in time. Am i conscious of traps being problematic for some people for long periods of time? Yes very.

quote:

Inquiry can be used help dissolve identification, but as we have discussed again and again, the effectiveness of that for any given individual will depend on the degree of abiding inner silence (awareness/witness) present. And that is a function of meditation more than any other practice. It can't be bypassed. I know you are not saying that it can be bypassed, but by omission there is the implication that it can be.

I wouldn't comment on what the masses need. I am not in the business of developing a system for the masses so have no idea. All I can say is I enjoyed formal meditation immensely for years and found it very helpful which I have said a few times in this thread and others, so where is this omission you keep thinking you're seeing exactly?

quote:
So what am I asking? Not that you change anything you are doing. Only to consider that others who read about what you are doing can easily misunderstand. When we share what we are doing, that is sure to influence others, and therefore we are obliged to qualify how we got to where we are if we want to convey the whole truth.
All I can say to this is no matter how hard a person tries to share the whole truth, (which is only ever their version of it at best) people will still misunderstand as is in heavy evidence in this thread and everywhere. There were plenty of things I misunderstood about AYP over the years, that's just the way with communication sometimes. At the end of the day, we all are responsible for ourselves to the best of our abilities.

quote:
I have found that there is nothing wrong (binding - causing suffering) with having beliefs, goals and seeking, and they still are functioning fully here, while at the same time having little influence on my sense of self.
I agree there is nothing wrong with any of these.

All the best!

A

Holy

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 09:34:11 AM »
@NoDogma

yes, you are right :) He has obviously advanced quite nicely compared to those early himalayan days. Now the bliss does not leave him while talking and when he stops talking even the atoms dissolve into bliss :P I like this man very much :D

Peace to all, I like you all very much aswell :D

bewell

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 11:14:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem
....these questions are variations of common types of ideas that seem to pervade the thinking of many spiritual seekers.

Hi Anthem,

I've been reading and reflecting on this thread.

For clarification, did you ever actually believe any of those "14 Spiritual Myths" as they are written? For example, would you say you used to actually believe that emotional reactions disappear with enlightenment or spiritual mastery? If so, I wonder where you got that idea. Maybe Tolle who, as I recall, distinguishes reaction from response. As I reflect specifically on AYP teachings, I don't recall any promise that "liberation" means emotional reactions disappear.

For myself, I don't think I ever believed that emotional reactions would disappear (so long as there is a physical body that has not disappeared). I expected changes, but I did not expect emotionlessness. Over time, and through practices, I think I've become more emotionally sensitive. I also have become better at letting go and moving on after emotional reactions. This helps me learn more from emotional reactions. As I read the other "myths" you have listed, I likewise don't recall ever believing any of them in the way that you have written them.

That said, I have benefited from doing some belief inquiry, thanks to this thread. Do I believe something in such a way that prevents me from acknowledging direct experience? What happens when I let go of beliefs that surface in any given moment?

One of my beliefs is that "God is love, and God is good, and God is merciful, and God is compassionate." I also believe that we humans can participate in the character of this "God."

When I consciously let go of that belief, and look at direct experience something happens. It is a bit of a relief. This is different from disbelief. It is more like belief tempered by direct experience.

Thanks for the discussion!

[/\]

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:16:26 AM by bewell »

CarsonZi

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

Do I believe something in such a way that prevents me from acknowledging direct experience?

Mmmmmmmm, juicy. [:D]

[3]

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

quote:
Originally posted by Anthem
....these questions are variations of common types of ideas that seem to pervade the thinking of many spiritual seekers.

Hi Anthem,

I've been reading and reflecting on this thread.

For clarification, did you ever actually believe any of those "14 Spiritual Myths" as they are written? For example, would you say you used to actually believe that emotional reactions disappear with enlightenment or spiritual mastery?

Hi Bewell,

It has been a long time, I hope all is well![:)]

A few of them or variations there of, yes I seemed to for a while. Most prominently, that life would be uninterrupted bliss and emotional reactions would disappear entirely as a sign of spiritual mastery. The others, just variations on common things I have heard presumed about the spiritual path.

quote:

If so, I wonder where you got that idea. Maybe Tolle who, as I recall, distinguishes reaction from response. As I reflect specifically on AYP teachings, I don't recall any promise that "liberation" means emotional reactions disappear.

I couldn't say any one place, my own unique expectation or interpretation primarily perhaps.

quote:

For myself, I don't think I ever believed that emotional reactions would disappear (so long as there is a physical body that has not disappeared). I expected changes, but I did not expect emotionlessness. Over time, and through practices, I think I've become more emotionally sensitive. I also have become better at letting go and moving on after emotional reactions. This helps me learn more from emotional reactions. As I read the other "myths" you have listed, I likewise don't recall ever believing any of them in the way that you have written them.

Yes it is more like this for me too, expanded sensitivity, everything can still arise, the potential for the full range of human experience, and then dissolves/ moves on.

quote:
That said, I have benefited from doing some belief inquiry, thanks to this thread. Do I believe something in such a way that prevents me from acknowledging direct experience? What happens when I let go of beliefs that surface in any given moment?

I like the way you word that. Yes, direct experience.[:)]

All I can say is that there wasn't a lot of apparent choice when it came to all the things I believed about life or when it was no longer possible to continue to believe some of those things for that matter. I simply noticed, aided greatly by a lot of reading I did of people like Tolle, Ruiz and Byron Katie etc. at some point that when I believed things in a concrete way, it lead to a lot of pain and limited my experience of life. Also, with all the practices I was doing, many things just didn't hold up to scrutiny and fell away including concepts of me/ i/. It was seen that I had to fixate on something repeatedly for it to seem real and concrete and reference a supporting case of thoughts to prop it up as a truth of the way I thought things worked. When I became aware of other possibilities in a given situation, it allowed my mind to let go of that fixation and to see things in a more balanced way.

Eventually it became obvious that nothing was absolutely true, beliefs in general became soft or transparent. That isn't to suggest I don't have any beliefs left, it just means most of them let go easier and more quickly than they once did. It isn't necessary to go through a process for them to release anymore (in fact this became counter-productive), it is enough for them to be seen. Sometimes things have to be seen repeatedly, sometimes once is enough. There are still things that arise all the time and have to be seen for them to move on and I expect it to continue on this way indefinitely. Simply put, it is a privilege to have this continual learning about myself and life.[:)]