Author Topic: Yoga /alternative remedies for Arthritis  (Read 781 times)

11jono11

Yoga /alternative remedies for Arthritis
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
Hello hello,

My mum was asking me if I could recommend some Yoga, Ayurveda or alternative remedies for her knee and general issues with Arthritis.

Does anyone know of anything that has been shown/known to help with these issues?

Love, love and love

Aum

Jaycee

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:31:19 AM »

From personal experience, I would say that a vegetarian diet, or one where the consumption of red meat is kept to a minimum, helps.  Yoga asanas definitely assist in relieving stiffness in the body, but should be practiced gently - no forcing.  The breath should be natural, with upward movements encompassing an in breath and downward movements following the out breath.  The AYP system of asanas, perhaps with the omission, at first, of sarvangasana (shoulder stand), halasana,(plough) and yoga mudra (seal of yoga) are a perfect introduction.  Perhaps your Mum could join a local yoga class? [8D]

Marina_J

• http://www.marinaj.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
Arthritis is related to poor bone and muscle health, overweight and unhealthy lifestyle. These aspects of a patient can be dealt with the help of yoga and his overall health can be improved. Ashtanga yoga is one the most beneficial form yoga which flexes our muscles and removes stiffness of the joints. As yoga helps in focusing on balance and flexibility, a person can control his movements and pain decreases considerably.

maheswari

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:58:11 PM »
downward facing dog in hatha yoga asanas is recommended but as Jaycee
the practice should be very gentle.....

riptiz

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:28:43 AM »
Hi,
Ensure she is drinking enough water as dehydration affects arthritis also as well as many other aspects of one's health.
L&L
Dave

Steve

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »
The acid-alkaline ph balance of the body plays a part in in the development of arthritis.  Arthritis is associated with an over-acid ph condition in the body.  You can google "arthritis acid-alkaline balance" and find a number of resources and suggestions regarding diet suggestions to balance such a condition and how to check one's acid-alkaline balance with saliva and urine ph strip testing.

Much love,
Steve