Author Topic: Ayurved and Yogic Practice  (Read 1349 times)

Frank-in-SanDiego

Ayurved and Yogic Practice
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:41:44 AM »
Hari Om
~~~~~
Hello Folks,
... wondered if anyone in the group has an expertise in Ayurved?
I ask not suggesting a conversation on any health problems but ask for our consortia if ideas and guidence can be given on foods to consume for yogic growth.
I will assume all of us know thier constitution ( Vatta, Pitta, Kapha).
My goal would be to increase ojas - a fundamental "material" for higher states of consciousness.  Today, Ghee is a good source that
can be converted to Ojas within the right body chemistry.

So - if there are those that have this knowledge and care to give some ideas here - wonderful e.g. avoiding the tamasic ( dulling) foods, favoring the sattvic ( or balanced and uplifting foods), etc.

Thanks!
OM SHanti Shanti Shanti

Frank in SD.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 01:33:49 PM by AYPforum »

Victor

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 01:15:57 PM »
I have studied ayurveda.
The best way to build Ojas is to follow the practices of AYP. Sexual restraint and meditation and pranayama. Nourishing food is good but i don't personally feel that food is as important as the other parts that I mentioned.

AYPforum

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 01:33:26 PM »
This topic has been moved from "Satsang Cafe" to "Neuro-Energy based Healthcare." Whenever possible, kindly place topics in forums where there is a fit.

Frank-in-SanDiego

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 02:03:23 PM »
Hari Om
~~~~~~
Hello Victor (et.al)
thanks for the response... Yes, I see your point - yet as you mention
"not as important" is key.  In my opinion and experience, food plays its role , just as pranayam, meditaiton, etc etc. and is directly connected with mental and physical levels. Food is another form of prana, and to maximize its value and use a good selection of food is considered ( e.g. the 6 tastes, etc).
I am not suggesting you can eat your way to enlightement :>)
but I believe certain foods, thier prep, etc. can aid ones practice -
I am sure you are of the same conviction.  Some foods bring dullness and constrain ones ability to transcend. If we consider that all "this" is nothing but pure consciousness, we then take "this" in via food - and it has its affect on the system.
The Taittitiya Upanishad has a whole section outlining food to Brahman, to Self, and to the various levels in us humans ( some call Kosha's or sheaths - 5 of 'em as a matter of fact) and where food plays its part.

Thought it was worth a line or two of discussion - thx again for considering the question.

Om shanti shanti shanti

Victor

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 02:55:16 PM »
well, I like Yoganis suggestion of food that is nourishing and light. Food that is too heavy will dull the digestive fire but if it is too light and airy it will aggravate Vata and possibly Pitta. One thing to be aware of is the concept of the Agni (fire of digestion and metabolism) as well as the concept of Ama Dosha (coatings of waste materials on the channles of the body. When the Agni is low any food that you eat is only partially digested and causes Ama Dosha. Ama can be used to describe toxic coatings on the intestines as well as on the arteries (atherosclerosis) and the lymph as well. Any channels in the body can get accumulated Ama. Practices that increase the fire of Agni such as Exercise, Pranayama, intense Yoga practice and austerities  will help burn away these coatings and help turn nutrition into Ojas. So eat only to your capacity and keep your food clean and nourishing. If your Agni is high you don't need to worry as much about diet as when you have Ama and dull fire. Does this make sense?
 You can look at the metabolism of food as a fire that needs to be fed carefully. It needs enough heat, air, and fuel as well as room to burn. Too much or not enough of any of these will cause it to have a problem. if the food is heavy and overloaded it is like overloading a fire. it will only partially burn and will leave deposits. If it is too light the fire can burn the body and cause health problems. It is all about balance but I personally don't believe too much in obsessing on what or what not to eat. that seems to be as much of a common neurosis as overeating. People get so obsessed about it.
 Anyway, i hope this was of help/ ghee is said to help increase Ojas if not over eaten and meat tends to be heavy so that a  diet rich in meat may be very nuorishing but can have the effect of overloading the digestive fire and creating Ama. The old Ayurvedic texts such as Charaka and Shushruta did not recommend vegetarian dieat and actually had many different meats that were recommended to give strength. Vegetarianism seems to have come later out of concern about killing, not because of health. Today you see people going to extremes with diet and in my opinion Yoga should be about sensitivity and moderation in this area.

veritasophia

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 06:44:42 AM »
One thing I have found to be helpful is urine therapy.  I ingest my morning urine and some throughout the day as well.  I have seen a marked increase in energry since starting this (about a month ago) as well as a closer attunement to my bodie's needs as far as diet.  You can check out the links in http://www.aypsite.com/plus/amaroli.html for more info.

On the other points, I agree completely with Victor.  Another important thing to understand is that with the AYP and deeper attunment to your bhakti, there is a good chance you will be naturally attracted to the foods best suited to your body's needs at any given time.

PS: http://www.aypsite.com/plus/30.html

david_obsidian

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 08:04:31 AM »
General agreement with what has been said.  I would add that,  whereas food can be over-emphasised,  there can be times when some aspects of diet can be very important for progress in Yoga.  The importance of it can vary person-to-person and indeed over time with any given person.

Sometimes your body's intelligence will guide you when you need to make a change.

One important thing to avoid is expecting that the same diet is applicable to everyone.  A single diet is not even necessarily best for even one person over a long period of time,  especially if yogic transformations require changes in diet.

My own experience though is that as the body-mind becomes more attuned,  it starts to 'tell' you about dietary changes that are needed.

Oh,  and as for amaroli,  I haven't known any single diet-related  thing that has been better for me.  The effect of amaroli can be really wonderful.

-David
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 08:05:16 AM by david_obsidian »

ycloutier2000

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 01:10:31 PM »
Ashwagandha herb powder is one of the main ojas building herbs in Ayurveda.  It also helps build strong nerves and is also an aphrodisiac.  Seems to me like it would go hand in hand with AYP.  Take 1tsp morning and evening in a glass of warm milk and sugar to taste.

Most cost efficient way is to buy in bulk, maybe 1/2 to 1 lbs.  It's a cheap herb.

ycloutier2000

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 01:11:19 PM »
Milk is also a main ojas builder.

Alvin Chan

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 12:32:40 AM »
Ashwagandha may be good, but it has been reported to contain high level of mercury, especially those coming from polluted area in India.

I am sure the effects of taking mercury will outweight any benefits coming from Ashwagandha. Mercury damages your nervous system, and is hard to expell out of the body. You will become more stupid, irritable, have poorer memory, and possibly damage your internal organs.

If anyone know where we could find cheap and pollutant-free Ashwagandha, please tell me.

david_obsidian

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 02:28:05 AM »
BTW,  mercury is deliberately added to some ayurvedic preparations.  I am not going to touch those mercury-containing ones with a ten-foot pole unless I have a good proof that they are safe!!

Victor

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 04:39:52 AM »
the ayurvedic products that contain mercury contain a specially prepared mercury that is combined with sulphur. Mercury combined with sulphur has a very different toxicity and effect as free mercury. Free mercury that may be found accidentally in an herb or a fish for that matter is certainly as toxic as we have been lead to believe. mercuric sulfide (rasa sindur) is quite different. A chemist friend once told me that sulphur is used to clean up mercury spills in order to bind the free mercury. this sulfide of mercury is apparently not absobed the same way by the body.

david_obsidian

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 04:59:59 AM »
I'm not by any means saying that that is wrong.  I am open-minded about it,  but I'd personally like to see some western-style studies done on this before I'd take it-- some corroboration.  To each his own mercury --- or not.  [:)]

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 05:00:43 AM by david_obsidian »

Victor

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 08:03:23 AM »
yeah. I have taken it. Has it hurt me? who knows?