Author Topic: toothpaste and dish washing soap  (Read 671 times)

maheswari

toothpaste and dish washing soap
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »
Hello :-)
In the last few weeks,  I suddenly felt I need to change all the shampoos, handcream etc...and use brands that are paraben free, organic, less chemicals etc....
this was easy to find...
regarding toothpaste, I found a brand made in India called Messwak and it's fluoride free.But i am reading mixed reviews.Does anyone know about this brand? Any suggestion?
Also dishwashing soap labeled eco seems to be the same sh*t like any other product. As for brands at health food shops, who knows if they are selling you less stuff with chemicals or not.
Any suggestions?

BlueRaincoat

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »
Hello Maha

I can't say anything about Messwak, but there is a very good way to clean your teeth without toothpaste:
1. There is an ayurvedic practice called oil pulling - you take a mouthful of oil and keep it/move it around your mouth for a few minutes, then spit it out.
2. Sprinkle table salt on a toothbrush and clean your teeth with it.
I do this every morning (well, almost) and I've never needed to see a hygienist. My dentist always tells me 'you clean your teeth very well'
In the evening I do use a fluoride toothpaste (as there is evidence it strengthens tooth enamel)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:04:23 AM by BlueRaincoat »

maheswari

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:44:22 AM »
hello BRC
you do know some tricks , dont you [:D]
i am amazed[:)]
what kind of oil?
ps.Meswak comes from the following plant: Salvadora persica of the family Salvadoraceae, is an evergreen shrub
it is used also a lot in some arab countries
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:58:26 AM by maheswari »

BlueRaincoat

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:59:37 AM »
Any oil you have in your kitchen cupboard will do the job just as well. I tend to use the cheaper of what I have available, since it goes down the drain. [:)]

I've not heard of Salvadora persica before, seems a very interesting plant. It even contains some fluoride according to Wikipedia.

I'm interested in skin care and toiletries because my skin is sensitive - doesn't put up with nonsense. It is very healthy if left alone, but I've learnt to avoid surfactants to a good extent. I don't use emulsified creams (except sunscreens because I have no choice there). I use soap for washing my hands, but for baths and showers I use Moroccan soap clay. You might want to check that one out too. Leaves your hair nice and glossy.[:)]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:36:28 AM by BlueRaincoat »

maheswari

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 04:17:24 AM »
ok i googled it, and the advice is to not spit it in the sink cause with time it will clog the pipes [:D], better to spit it in the trash or the grass if you have a backyard

BlueRaincoat

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:10 AM »
Well, that's interesting, I never even thought about it.
Haven't had problems with the drains either, maybe because I use mostly sunflower oil which only turns solid at 17 centigrade and we don't get that sort of cold here. [:)]

maheswari

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 04:40:52 AM »
see i have good tricks too [:D][3]

technoyogi

• https://www.facebook.com/technoenlightenment
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 05:02:36 AM »
Good call on the oil pulling BR.  I do not do it that often anymore but I really liked doing it with extra virgin coconut oil.  It tasted better than other oils and coconut oil is a powerful antifungal as well.

These days I like brushing my teeth with green clay powder in addition to a flouride free toothpaste.  The clay is a natural detoxing agent, and the abrasive aspect actually polishes my teeth.  They have never been so white and shiny as a result.  It is like that feeling after going to the dentist where they put that stuff on to polish your teeth, same principle.

Holy

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:28 AM »
Hi Maheswari,

funnily I bought the same(?) Indian Dabur Meswak toothpaste a week ago, will give it a try when the current very good ayurvedic toothpaste with xylit and calcium is empty :P

But I already read that one component (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) is not so nice, therefore it will only be a temporary stay.

The synchronicity continues (=

Happy practice to all :)

maheswari

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 05:57:56 PM »
Holy [:D]

Mykal K

• http://www.aypsitehr.org
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:23:54 AM »
Vinegar.

maheswari

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 01:48:33 AM »
Today at a health food store I found an ayurvedic toothpaste (Supirivicky)....this one seems the best choice so far

Dogboy

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 07:14:17 AM »
I've been very happy with simple baking soda; look at this smile! [:D]

BlueRaincoat

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 08:18:51 AM »
Amazing Hollywood gnashes! Now we know what you do for a living Dogboy [:D]