Author Topic: Forum reader for smartphones  (Read 7234 times)

mimirom

• http://www.youtube.com/user/mimirom
Forum reader for smartphones
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:24:36 AM »
Hi,

How about implementing a Tapatalk plug-in into the AYP  forums, so we could  access them comfortably from our mobile devices? It is a nice little forum reader for smartphones and it makes life much easier. Many forums out there use it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:29:50 AM by mimirom »

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 04:19:21 AM »
Hi Mimirom:

Thanks for the suggestion. We are looking for ways to make the AYP website and forums more readable on smart phones.  Nothing has emerged as a clear option yet.

A brief look at www.tapatalk.com revealed this, so our Snitz Forum software appears not to be compatible with Tapatalk:

Q: Which forum system does it currently support?

A: Currently phpBB3 3.0.x, vBulletin 3.6.x/3.7.x/3.8.x/4.x, Invision Power Board (IPB) 3.x and Simple Machine Forum (SMF) 1.1.11+/2.x are supported. You can also look for other forum system plugin developed by third party developers using Tapatalk API at our Developer Support forums.

We will look into it further, since we will have to do something about all those small screens out there sooner or later.

BTW, all of the AYP ebooks are compatible with small screens via reader apps from Amazon Kindle, Apple iBooks, Barnes and Noble Nook, KoboBooks, etc.

Any further suggestions will be appreciated on apps for making the AYP website and support forums more readable on smart phones. Preferably, implementation from this end should be easy. I am not a computer programmer. Only a human neuro-biology programmer. [8D]

The guru is in you.

Delara

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:56 AM »
Hello;
I can easily access the forum with my E72 Nokia mobile
As far as I know,the whole point of using these plugins is to provide a compact size files that save the bandwidth of smart phones.
here on this forum it's only html! no big deal! it can be read with any browser...no  flashy images...etc
I'm not sure if I'm on the same conversation track with you:)
Peace

mimirom

• http://www.youtube.com/user/mimirom
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
Hi Delara,

yes I can access the forums too with the basic web browser on my phone. But it becomes quite a lot easier with a specialized forum app. Especially posting and editing posts becomes considerably easier.

Delara

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »
thanx mimirom for explaining...I can see what you mean now:)
So one is left with two options:
 either uses a plugin that is supported by as many mobile OS as possible and can interact with snitz forum system...
Or
if you can't get such plugins for forum so maybe a second option would be to use another forum system for your website that can be interacted with by as many plugins as possible...
I wish I have more knowledge to help here...but unfortunately it's not my domain...
just felt like sharing my opinion!
All the best [:)]