Author Topic: Subtle Experience  (Read 855 times)

Frank-in-SanDiego

Subtle Experience
« on: August 08, 2005, 02:02:54 PM »
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
Hello folks,
I thought I would share this with you...  not a hair raising experience of samyama, but goes under "casual and delightful".

I have been reading the Upanishads lately.
Upanishads or Upa-ni-shad  means come sit near or to sit down near.
Sit near to who? The Enlightened  teacher so he can teach; it also implies come sit near the Truth ( these rishis really got a knack for getting as much meaning in a word ,eh?) There are ~ 108 Upanishads ( some think more) they are at times brief,  of a few paragraphs, and some are extensive.

So the one I am reading is the BRIHADARANYAKA UPANISHAD by Sage Yajavalkya, as he is the author of many of the chapters( called brahmana's).  BRIHADARANYAKA means Large Forest, or where the rishi chose to compose this Upanishad. It also means a large forest of knowledge, as it talks about the SELF as Brahman, being one and the same and explains this in detail.

Its said when a person reads this Upanishad he is "transformed" due to the level of knowledge that it discusses.   This has been my subtle experience over time. The understanding of the world, to Brahman, to SELF to me is different. The more i read the higher levels of underanding and a better appreciation  there is , but at a subtle level, yet things are clearly different - they say that Brahman is beyond discription - this is where this experience fits in. Something light & delightful, and the more I read the better ( clearer) the perception becomes of the surroundings and the relationship to Brahman.

I am not sure if others in the group are readers of the various parts of the Ved and can concur with this.
Thats my experience  - not a lot of sizzle, but something I have found very agreeable with my progress.

Regards and Pranams,
Frank in San Digeo

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 01:36:23 PM by AYPforum »

AYPforum

Subtle Experience
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »
This topic has been moved from "Satsang Cafe" to "Books, Tapes and Scriptures." Whenever possible, kindly place topics in forums where there is a fit.

sauravu

Subtle Experience
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 03:38:48 AM »
Actually the scriptures if you read by an untrained mind would not be able to comprehend the inner meanings . The mostcryptic being the rig veda . A compendium of some stories from some ancient time. But learning about them I found out that the words in them add up to some sort of infinite theorems supposed to explain the universe and universal phenomenas.

Any light on it from anyone is certainly welcome

gkrheera

Subtle Experience
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:23:44 PM »
One of the popular mantras in Vedas is Rudram.
I was talking to a teacher of this mantra who is also a yoga practitioner. According to him pronouncing rudram (it has specific way of pronounciation in additon to the semantics) is akin to doing nauli with the tongue and has similar effects of activating certain energy centers in the body.
This was explained to me after I felt energy currents in my body being stirred up when I participated in a group-chanting of this mantra.
Heera
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:34:21 AM by gkrheera »