Author Topic: Patanjali's Sutras  (Read 1363 times)

Frank-in-SanDiego

Patanjali's Sutras
« on: August 07, 2005, 04:42:31 AM »
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Hello folks,
for those intersted and perhaps practicing the sutra's of rishi Patanjali there is a site   http://www.sivananda.org/publications/quotes/rajayoga_quote.html
that delivers a new sutra/quote daily.  Now, the quotes are from the whole book ( the 8 limbs) and not just samyama part.

On that note, many may have read this wonderful book. I have a few translations, but the one I find the best ( due to the author being an enlightened pandit) is The Yoga Philosophy Of Patanjali - by Samkha-Yogacharya Swami Hariharananda Aranya, and put into english by P.N. Mukerji. I have read this so many times I had to rebind the book.  

Another translation is Raja Yoga, by Swami Sivanada. He takes a different approach to the chapters and trys to order them in more of a "teaching mode" sequence. If you order the Raja Yoga book from the Divine Life Society in India, its ~ $3.50. All of their books are based on what it cost to make the book i.e. no profits required.  I buy many a book from them. And, many of their books are on-line ( PDF format) for your consideration - e.g. Brahma Sutras, a few Upanishads, etc etc. but a nice selection.

Regards and Pranams,
Frank in San Diego

Moderator note: For free Divine Life/Sivananda book downloads and books for sale, see http://www.dlshq.org/download/download.htm

AYPforum

Patanjali's Sutras
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 09:03:16 AM »
Note: This topic was moved from "Satsang Cafe" to "Books and Scriptures."

trip1

• http://seekanddestroypodcast.com/
Patanjali's Sutras
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 06:02:50 AM »
I was just about to post a question regarding which translation of the sutras to read.  There are certainly a lot of choices to go with and I was getting a bit confused.  Thanks for the guidance, Frank.  [:)]

Out of curiosity, how much of a difference can one find in one translation to another?   Is the difference mainly in the commentary or also in the translations themselves?

Patanjali's Sutras
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 01:29:42 AM »
Could anybody of you help me to find 'Siddhis' information?

W.A.Kvieczinski

Jim and His Karma

Patanjali's Sutras
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 04:19:32 AM »
Wagner, if you practice AYP very faithfully, you will attain very great siddhis very quickly...and I can guarantee it. You will become kinder, more relaxed, and more patient. And you will eventually attain the magical power of not fighting with the world. Which soon leads to the highest of all siddhis: happiness.

Re: the sutras,  I couldn't agree more with your recco*, Frank (Yogani has it on his book list, too). I've fallen head over heels in love with it. It's expensive at amazon, but cheaper at half.com. It's a must-buy IMO. I expected it to be marginally better than other translations, but there's no comparison.

*The Yoga Philosophy Of Patanjali - by Samkha-Yogacharya Swami Hariharananda Aranya
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 04:29:02 AM by Jim and His Karma »