Author Topic: Reply Topic - Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.  (Read 978 times)

AYPforum

Reply Topic - Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
« on: July 19, 2005, 02:49:06 AM »
All members are encouraged to create new and original topics in the AYP forums. There is no limit on the number of topics that can be put here.

It has been decided to keep the forum introductory posts by Yogani locked and without replies so they can continue to serve as a simple entry point to the AYP forums for all who visit.

In order to accommodate those who would like to reply to Yogani's introductions, they have been copied in unlocked topics (like this one) that can be replied to and will "float" up and down the list with all the other topics.

Here is the introduction to this forum, available for replies:

yogani
USA
49 Posts
 Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  12:00:28 PM               
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the Niyamas (observances) is svadhyaya, which means spiritual study.

An interesting thing happens with many people when they begin to meditate. They become voracious readers of spiritual literature. It is one of the many examples of how the limbs of yoga are connected in us. Do one aspect of yoga, and the other aspects are stimulated.

There is plenty out there to read and study. In AYP, we try and point to as many resources as possible.

Of particular interest are the "Yoga Texts" near the bottom of the list in the AYP links section, at http://www.aypsite.org/Links.html

There is also a book list on this web site with over 400 yoga and spiritual titles, with direct links to Amazon.com. See http://www.aypsite.org/booklist.html

Increasingly, web sites, audio recordings, and videos are becoming available that can add new dimensions to our spiritual study.

Finally, there is the growing family of AYP books, ebooks and audiobooks (coming soon), which can be found at http://www.aypsite.com/plus/books.html

This forum is the place to discuss all those great books, web sites, audios, and videos you have run across in your travels.

The guru is in you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:33:14 AM by yogani99 »

sadhak

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:35:51 PM »
Yogani,
I have understood, so far, svadhyay, as study of the scriptures (vedas, bible, koran, upanishads,etc), and study of the self (interospection). Though I used to read a lot of books a few years back, after actual practices, I found that many give you parts of the whole, sometimes without the clarity required to put them into practise. Reading a lot sometimes can give one a lot of mental satisfaction at the cost of experience that actually fosters growth. Like seeing a film about a huge roller-coaster that dwells a lot on the experience on each rider, and discusses the effects, and the science behind it... but well, you might just get vicarious satisfaction out of it instead of being inspired to go experience the ride. But yes, while doing the practises, a book like the Bihar School Yoga's 'Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandh, by Swami Satyananda Saraswati' help you get clarity on what you are doing, make corrections, and review things from time to time. Lessons like yours are good to read, because they do the same thing too, besides driving you actively to practise something. Though I am tempted at times, I therefore, avoid picking up books, especially the popular story-based variety. But again, that's not to say that they won't open up certain doors in somebody. Maybe I am here because I read my share of Carlos Casteneda, Jonathan Livingston, and so on some time back.

Sadhak
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 12:30:07 PM by sadhak »

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
Hi Sadhak:

The best "book" is a nervous system awakening with inner silence and ecstatic conductivity. It tells all. Before that, the best books are those that help provide the means to cultivate that awakening. Also good are books that inspire the quest and the desire to practice daily.

While there are plenty of books that inspire, those that offer effective and organized practices are few and far between. Satyananda did a fine job with his, as did Swami Rama and a few others. AYP has been developed, in part, to help fill the void in books on practices, in the hope that then we will have many more of the living books -- awakening human nervous systems. Can't have too many of those!

So I agree with you 100% about reading priorities on the path. On the other hand, there is no telling from where we will find our next inspiration -- it can come from the most unexpected place. With strong bhakti, everything in life becomes "the book." The target keeps getting bigger and bigger, or so it seems as the love pours out. Fullness pouring into fullness...

The guru is in you.

sadhak

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:33:01 PM »
Hi Yogani,
I had begun preparation for Tattwa Shuddhi, and got this book on the subject from Bihar School of Yoga... but now that I have gotten away from my teacher, should I still pursue it? It is written in the book as well that this can only be done under guidance. I am still preparing the ash

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 01:37:54 PM »
Hi Sadhak:

Only you can know whether to pursue a particular course of practice. It will resonate in your heart and in your bhakti if it is a means that will help bring you good progress. If it is, then you will find the resources and teacher necessary to fulfill it. Rather, they will find you!

The guru is in you.  

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:38:13 PM »
The Sivenanda/Satynananda lineage is strongly in favor of the guru/disciple model. Yogani is just as extremely on the other side of the equation. Neither is wrong. But if you're going to follow the Bihar model, you may as well do it their way, with a teacher. And if you choose the AYP practice, you may as well do it Yogani's way, without a physical teacher (using self-pacing as your teacher). Both work, but why not play safe and stick with a proven program, at least as your primary roadmap?

sadhak

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 08:01:13 PM »
Thanks Yogani, Jim,
Maybe I still need time to find my track of practices. I need to spend time with AYP to know how it all fits. I've barely got to weave in the AYP methods into what I'm already practising...and the threads are all over the place right now. I just woke up after falling asleep after a mix of both, that kind of took over. Had this strange dream of Yogani sitting in front of several machines and all the postings, and mixing them, like one would do on an audio mixer.[:)] Yes, Jim, the Sivananda lineage believes in the guru-shishya model. And this book is from their stable. I dunno if I have the guts to seek a teacher just now, for anything. The program I was following was totally set by a teacher on an individual basis... and I don't know why many of the components that are there are there. So I'm quite at sea about what to drop, what to continue with; whether to switch to AYP mode from scratch, or what. Till that clarity emerges, I'm doing some of both. I know this sounds very muddled right now, but I have to walk through this.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:33:01 PM by sadhak »

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 01:23:17 AM »
Hi Sadhak,
One reason you feel so muddled, could be because you are doing "some of both" practices. I know its hard to let one go and learn something new.. sort of unlearn the old (at least that was my experience).

The thing that helps.. and you can take some time to decide on it.. start from scratch.. that is very hard.. you think you are losing precious time starting from scratch.. but the time you lose is so insignificant compared to the advantage you gain by doing it right is unimaginable.. This time that you are spending muddled.. make use of it.. you cannot make any progress being muddled and the longer you try to figure out what is the right thing to do.. the longer you will stay muddled.. The day I stopped my old practices and started from square one with AYP, I made the fastest progress.. Since you have some experience with your old.. AYP will move much faster.. Just start with meditation and spinal breathing..
Start reading from here..http://www.aypsite.com/plus/10.html

Give yourself a month or two with AYP, then add whatever you want from your old practice.. Also, in a month or two you can decide if AYP is the way to go, or go back to the old practice.. or keep a little of both.. whatever you decide would be fine.. but to start with give AYP some exclusive time.

I have been enjoying your posts. Thanks for sharing.

sadhak

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 12:10:27 PM »
Hi Shanti,
I know you're right. I have added an evening slot with the AYP method. I am not beginning from scratch only because it was drilled into me that once I move away from doing what I was, I am not only back to zero, but will make little progress the next time. Which of course, I won't know is true or not till I try it out... but the great risk of it being true is there. Plus we had this tradition of passing on what we learnt, which I am doing... and I wonder what I should pass on to the ones that are waiting for their next session with me. And though I am somewhat less than half-way through the AYP lessons, I am still not clear (or comfortable) about basics like 'I AM'. But I'm bringing this up in the wrong forum...this one is supposed to be for books. I'll identify the right place, and bring it up there... and I'll look forward to what you have to say then. thankum.