Author Topic: Kechari Mudra  (Read 45815 times)

mastro

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »
http://manasataramgini.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/some-notes-on-khechari-mudra/

Having performed vyomayAna we translocated to the most beautiful city of ratnapura on the shores of the paschima mahodadhi and occupied a room on the samudrataTa. There, while watching the purple sunset draped by the Russian volcano, we performed our saMdhyopAsana by pouring water from the raging waters of the sAgara as arghya. We then curled up to watch a remarkable documentary by a jaTAdhArI English baron called Jim Mallinson, which was recommended to us by Sharada. In the documentary Mallinson shows a temple of the sapta-bhagini from the ancestral regions of Sharada and R, but the actual icons in there are nine in number. Since we had done some investigation of the sapta-bhaginI cults in the regions around the city of our youth, Sharada asked us about the extra two images. But we got sidetracked by something else. Sir Mallinson seems to be a pretty interesting guy as he stated in the documentary that he was both a paraglider and the student of a text which I understood to mean the khecharI-vidyA. Checking him out on the web showed that he had indeed written a work on the khecharI vidyA that appears to be out of print now. We shall record some notes on the khecharI mudra here rather than talk about Mallinson’s documentary or the sapta-bhaginI cult and its evolution.

The khecharI mudra is a yogic practice of great antiquity emerging in late vedic stratum first represented in the maitrayaNIyopaniShad the only surviving portion of the maitrAyaNIya brAhmaNa in both manuscript and a precarious oral tradition. In this text the khecharI mudra is expounded by shAkAyanya to the magadhan king bR^ihadratha along with proto-“kuNDalini” yoga (MaiU 6.20-21). The khecharI mudra here is described as the great practice by which one has the experience of brahmaivAhamasmi, a key teaching of vedAnta. The practice was incorporated into the early classical yoga of epic period. Subsequently, it was acknowledged by the tathAgata as a means of achieving the state of a muni. It is clear that in one his sutta-s known as the nAlaka sutta (verse 38), in the mahAvagga of the suttanipAta, the tathAgata expounds the khecharI mudra just as in the upaniShad as the means of achieve the state of knowledge i.e. that of the muni. Thus, it becomes clear that khecharI was already well established in the yogic circles by the time of the tathAgata. Hence, it is not surprising that it continued in its popularity with the emergence of the shaiva mantra-mArga. That it was present in the common ancestor of shaiva mantra mArga is clarified by the fact that it is described in the archaic text of the kula system the kaulaj~nAna nirNaya as well as the saiddhAntika tantra-s.

But it was in the kaula streams the khecharI evolved into a distinct practice under that name with miraculous properties. In the kaulaj~nAna nirNaya it is described as a yoga which destroys diseases. Here for the first time the meditation on a multiplicity of gustatory sensations while performing the mudra is alluded to: when the yogin perceives a sweet taste he is able to reverse graying of hair and wrinkles; when he perceives the taste of milk he becomes amartya; when he perceives ghee he becomes svarAT. In the trika kaula system we find that it is described in greater detail incorporated into a meditation on the central trika goddess parA. Here too it is a means of destroying disease and decrepitude. The 21’st chapter of the mAlinIvijayottara states that the tAntrika invokes parA devI in the middle of a 16-spoked chakra, with the disc of he moon as its hub, in the midst of the void of the upper oro-nasal cavity – this is what is precisely meant by the term khaga in MVUT:
ShoDashAre khage chakre chandra-kalpita-karNike |
svarUpeNa parAM tatra sravanIm amR^itaM smaret || MVUT 21.2
Thus we see that the term khecharI comes from the fact the tongue moves to the kha the space of the upper oro-nasal cavity. The tantra goes on indicate that in the initial practice of the mudra the sAdhaka experiences a salty or iron taste (That this is default state can be easily verified by even merely moving the tongue backward in a regular person when having a clean mouth). By repeated practice the mudra he perceives a sweet taste and drinks that. Once he achieves the sweet taste he can perceive the tasting of all kinds of fluids he meditates upon, like blood, liquor, animal fat, ghee and milk.

In the subsequent yogic literature the khecharI mudra is even described as a means of holding of retas. It is said that a yogin who practices it does not have an outflow of shukra even when he is in coitus with a beautiful woman:
tenaiShA khecharI nAma mudrA siddha-namaskR^itA |
khecharyA mudrayA yasya vivaraM lambikordhvataH ||
binduH kSharati no yasya kAminyAli~Ngitasya cha |
yAvad binduH sthito dehe tAvan mR^ityu-bhayaM kutaH || dhyAnabindu 83-84
Further, from the shaiva stream, the khecharI also appears to have been transferred to the yoga of the pA~ncharAtra vaiShNava system (See below).

The classical standalone khecharI system came into its own relatively late, resting on the foundations of the shrIkula and the pashchimAmnAya tantra-s. The khecharIvidyA states that shiva first taught this system in various tantras such as the mahAkAla saMhitA (pashchimAmnAya), the glorious yoginIjAlashambara (shrIkula) and vishuddheshvara tantra-s. Then shiva adds that though these tantra-s cover the matter in different levels of details, it is the khecharIvidyA text which would provide a devoted description of the procedure. The holy nityAShoDashikArNava of the shrIkula again states that amongst the preceding tantra-s before the “arNava-ization” in the shrIkula stream were the YJS and ViSh. Thus, the khecharIvidyA in its classical form is an offshoot of the procedure proclaimed in the foundational kaula texts. It is here that the important mantra of the melaka is taught, which is supposed to be combined with the actual yogic practice of khecharI:
hrIM bhaM saM ShaM [paM] phaM saM kShaM ||
As per the khecharIvidyA the practice of the mantra is a must for attaining khecharI siddhI – this point is repeatedly mentioned and the mantroddhAra is given before the yogic procedures. The mantra itself of the form given above was current amongst my coethnics who practiced it in Thanjavur. However, I have seen a variant form which replaces the ShaM with a paM. This might also correspond to a variant uddhara, which I have seen, but was not able to completely comprehend due to the lack of clarity in the varga being indicated.

Then the khecharIvidyA text goes on to expound the practice of the khecharI mudra itself. Here we encounter the version that involves cutting of the frenulum linguae, something not found in the earlier texts. The text states that after having cleaned the palate for week by rubbing the yogin incises frenulum by a hair diameter using a sharp scalpel shaped like snuhI leaf. He then rubs the area with a mixture of rock salt and the pathyA plant. He repeats the procedure after 7 days and it is said that in 6 months he cuts of the frenulum. After that he wraps his tongue’s tip with a cloth and stretches it. After carrying out this exercise for 6 years he would have stretched his tongue long enough for the mudra. The text warns that he should do it very gradually and if he rushes with it he destroys his organ. Then he practices the entry of tongue behind the soft palate into the oro-nasal cavity of the pharynx. With 3 years of practice he is able to press the wall of the cavity well above the anterior arch of the atlas vertebra and reach the base of sphenoidal sinus. The yogin then may practice manthana. If he has siddhi of the khecharI mantra then he does not need churning, but if he can combine both then it is even better. In this he inserts a metal wire with a capsule at the end into to the nasal cavity with a thread and performing hR^idya prANAyAma he churns the capsule gently while focusing on the center of his eyebrows. He does this once a month. Then keeps pressing with his tongue the base of the sphenoidal sinus and licking the surface with his tongue in the act called the drinking of amR^ita. He focuses on the hypophysis and apparently stimulates it with the action of his tongue. When he tastes the amR^ita he gradually attains the siddhi-s of khecharI over several years of practice. These are described in hyperbolic terms: freedom from decrepitude, life stretched to 1000s of years, mastery of shAstra-s, knowledge of buried treasures and underground caves, dUradR^iShTi and dUrashravaNa, strength of 10000 elephants, success in chemistry and ability to repel abhichAra prayoga-s.

The vaiShNava version of khecharI that I have encountered is from the yoga section of the shANDilya saMhitA. In this text the khaM in the upper pharyngeal cavity is described as the seat of viShNu. The yogin meditates on it and performs the khecharI mudra largely as described in the khecharI vidyA text. In this consideration of shANDilya the khecharI mudra contains a mention of the cutting of the frenulum linguae as in the more mature shaiva texts. It also uses yoga terminology relating to the chakra-s and the meditation of viShNu in the sushumNa typical of the yoga of the shaiva tantra-s. We see an evolution of the khecharI and the associated yoga system within the shaiva tantra-s, but I have not encountered a parallel evolution in the pA~ncharAtra texts. So it seems that khecharI was transferred to the vaiShNava system relatively late from the shaiva system. However, I must stress that more careful examination of earlier vaiShNava saMhitA-s might change this picture.

To the outsider the hyperbole surrounding the khecharI mudra appears to give the impression of the whole thing being bogus. Some others say it has nothing to do with regular anatomy, but some kind of perceived or “yogic” anatomy. Hence they argue that its effect should not be considered in terms of regular anatomy. While I have nothing to say of the great siddhi-s mentioned in connection with the mudra, I am aware of yogin-s both vaiShNava and smArta (practicing shrIkulA tantra-s) who have practiced it, albeit without cutting their frenulum linguae. It is of central importance for their practice along with the triple bandha and is the basis for entering the state of chidAnanda or some say samAdhI. While I cannot speak for myself in this case, the reliable experience of the yogin-s suggests that the mudra has a very definitive physiological effect. These effects suggest that, though it might seem rather unbelievable, the khecharI mudra might stimulate parts of the brain that are adjacent to where the action takes place. This I suspect might account for the experiential aspects of their practice. More controversially it is conceivable that somehow the practice stimulates the hypophysis to release lutenizing hormone. I have not tested this hypothesis in anyway, but one cannot rule it out. In conclusion I believe that the khecharI is a real discovery of the Indo-Aryans that has been preserved as a central element of the tradition of yoga, while being refined through the ages. I must add that some practitioners of it do display some baffling capabilities (which insiders are well aware of) although none of this tested in any controlled way.

~ by mAnasa-taraMgiNI on July 2, 2009.

Posted in Heathen thought, History

mastro

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »
that were some quotations
i´m new to the forum, greetings for all
i am male hetero in my fifties
my language is spanish
i am in level three since a week or so
no clipinng
anuloma viloma from inside
plenty space to go to four but i find the chanel obstructed
who is in level four?
love to all
mastro

mastro

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2009, 08:12:57 AM »
Anatomical Tutorial During Trans-Nasal Endoscopy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjRsa77u6OU

mastro

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »

mastro

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2009, 08:32:59 AM »
not for every one!!!!!
Deviated Nasal Septum Repair: Endoscopic Septoplasty in HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP01dYof8RU

mastro

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2009, 08:34:11 AM »
Understand why your nose is blocked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPPCqnCCxyQ

mastro

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2009, 09:09:15 AM »
http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/...i-mudra.html

Re: KHECHARI MUDRA IS YONI MUDRA - 11-17-2004, 12:44 AM

--- In Shakti_Sadhana (AT) yahoogroups (DOT) com, sankara menon
wrote:
> i have not heard of this. Can you quote the source?
>
> jessica_malone1000
wrote:
> Yoni mudra is closing ears, nose, mouth, eyes by withdrawing it from
the external world and attending to the Yoni. The Eyes see the Yoni,
the nose smells the Yoni, the mouth tastes the yoni and the ears hear
> the moans of the woman.

Well, truely speaking there is a base for this (although i didn't
understand exactly what Jessica meant by saying what she said LOL).

As i remember there is a verse in Yoni-tantra describing this
practice, although is doesn't call it "yoni" or "khechari" mudra.
However i assume the original practice of khechari was sexual; only
later it was "internalised" in Gorakshanatha's tradition.

Moans of the woman in the time of maithuna are described as anahata-
nada by Maheshvarananda and Abhinavagupta and that nada is to be
meditated upon. Also we can recall two verses from Vijnanabhairava in
this connection.

I really think that this interpretation of Yoni-mudra is original one,
while yogic one is the later invention upon it.
If we compare names "Yoni-mudra", "Shanmukhi" and also "Khechari"
(which is not the same but related), we may see this. "Shanmukhi" is
associated not only with Shanmukha/Skanda but also with "sixth mouth"
[of Shiva] which is yogini-mukha or pichu-vaktra. And this sixth mouth
is Yoni!
The "flight", khechara, was originally connected with vamacharic
practices, melanas of siddhas and yoginis.
So...

A.

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #277 on: August 30, 2009, 09:11:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mastro

i´m new to the forum, greetings for all

anuloma viloma from inside
plenty space to go to four but i find the chanel obstructed

Welcome Mastro. [:)]

Nice to have you with us.

Maybe this topic will help:
Stage 3 K, blocking off nostrils

And this from Yogani's lesson may help
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/108.html
Stage 4 is another dramatic step. It could be years away from stage 2&3. Everyone will be different in approaching it. There is a trick to it. The nasal passages are tall and narrow and the tongue is narrow and wide, so the tongue can only go into the nasal passages by turning on its side. But which side? One way works better than the other. The tongue can naturally be turned with the top to the center by following the channel on top of the trumpet of each eustachian tube into its adjacent nasal passage. This naturally turns the top of the tongue to the center and allows it to slide up the side of the septum into the nasal passage. Turning the tongue inward to the center is the way up into the passages. Entering stage 4 is as dramatic as entering stage 2, because the tissues in the nasal passages are extremely sensitive, and connecting with them in the way described takes the nervous system to yet a higher level. Stage 4 provides extensive stimulation of the upper ends of the sushumna, ida, and pingala, and this has huge effects throughout the nervous system, especially when combined with our pranayama and its associated bandhas and mudras.

mastro

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2009, 09:54:41 AM »
Hi Shanti
Thanks for the warm welcome
I have a clearer picture because the endoscopic youtube videos I´ve posted in this tread
Definitly I have an abnormal condition and I will go to an otorrinolaringologyst to see whats going on
Mastro

mastro

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »

mimirom

• http://www.youtube.com/user/mimirom
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #280 on: November 03, 2009, 10:27:51 PM »
Hi there,

so it happened yesterday and the day before. During the last, say, 6 months I've been occasionally trying to get into kechari 2 with the help of a finger. I've done this outside practices in the bathroom, just out of curiosity. After a few attempts I discovered that it is actually possible to get behind the uvula and stay for a few seconds up there. Well and the day before yesterday I tried to help a little with my finger, since my tongue seemed to go back on its own during samyama, and I stayed in kechari 2 for the rest of the sit. The usual urge to swallow and release the mudra did not occur this time. Yesterday morning I tried it again and it worked well. In the afternoon then, just when I was crossing a street somewhere in the city, I suddenly entered a nice kechari stage 2 with my hands in my pockets[:D] It took just a little training in the evening then to master it and now I need like one second to reach the septum with the tip of my tongue. Today I was able to stay in kechari during the whole sit, which means currently 35 minutes without discomfort. No snipping needed so far.

So thanks for listening, I'm quite excited about this... [:I]

Three questions, if you don't mind:

1) Is there any recommended general strategy of introducing kechari 2 gradually? Like starting only during SBP, then adding DM etc. Or is it reasonable to start right off with the whole sit in kechari?

2) It seems to me that the tongue is pushing relatively hardly into the tissue near the edge of the pharynx and is quite stretching it. Is this how it is supposed to be?

3) My sadhana goes currently like this: KAPALABHATI - MULABANDHA/SAMBHAVI - SBP - DM - SAMYAMA. I practice AYP for 1 year. I tried siddhasana a couple months ago, but had to stop it because of constant overload. So, since there are a couple more practices in the lessons referenced before kechari 2, which I don't do yet, I just wanted to make sure if it might be a reasonable time to start kechari 2 anyway, or should I perhaps master at least siddhasana before?

All the best,

mimirom in kechari[:p]

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Kechari Mudra
« Reply #281 on: November 04, 2009, 12:23:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mimirom

Three questions, if you don't mind:

1) Is there any recommended general strategy of introducing kechari 2 gradually? Like starting only during SBP, then adding DM etc. Or is it reasonable to start right off with the whole sit in kechari?

2) It seems to me that the tongue is pushing relatively hardly into the tissue near the edge of the pharynx and is quite stretching it. Is this how it is supposed to be?

3) My sadhana goes currently like this: KAPALABHATI - MULABANDHA/SAMBHAVI - SBP - DM - SAMYAMA. I practice AYP for 1 year. I tried siddhasana a couple months ago, but had to stop it because of constant overload. So, since there are a couple more practices in the lessons referenced before kechari 2, which I don't do yet, I just wanted to make sure if it might be a reasonable time to start kechari 2 anyway, or should I perhaps master at least siddhasana before?

All the best,

mimirom in kechari[:p]

Wonderful Mimirom.[:)]

1) Well Kechari is a powerful practice, and may have delayed overloads. So don't overdo it. You have it right, in the beginning just stay in kechari during spinal breathing then when you feel stable, you can add it to meditation. Self pacing is our friend. [:)]

2)Yes, this is normal. If this is causing you pain or discomfort you can look at this topic for some ways to ease the pain:
tender pharynx -- surprising cure

3) Good question. I know we can leap-frog to samyama, but never really thought about Kecahri. If you can go into stage 2 kechari, I think you can just keep going. Yogani will correct me if I am wrong.[:)]

mimirom

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2009, 08:10:30 AM »
Thank you, Shanti.[:)]

Victor

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #283 on: November 06, 2009, 08:13:22 PM »
sounds like you are doing just fine. One thing that I notice with learning kechari is that there can be quite a bit of tension at the base of the skull/throat that can accumulate due to the holding of the stretch of kechari so maybe want to be aware of it and self pace if that comes up. It will pass eventually as you are able to relax into it but can take some time to smooth out. keep up the good practices!

mimirom

Kechari Mudra
« Reply #284 on: November 07, 2009, 06:31:47 AM »
Hi Shanti and Victor and thanks for your comment, Victor.

I just came out of my evening practices, and have some news and questions. This entering kechari2 I'm experiencing these days was preceded by several weeks long process of throat and nasal cavities cleaning. That means expectoration, rhinitis-like symptoms, inflammation-like symptoms (this was connected with introducing amaroli, an intense energetic/emotional release in throat/mouth during deep experiential therapy, and lots of mouth/throat/jaw stretching during DM and samyama. This culminated in my kechari experience (the sick sympoms in my throat and nose are gone finally.)

I see this as a rather nice way to start with kechari and I have just one dilemma now: I intend to honor the self-pacing principles and would like to introduce kechari slowly and gradually, just as a powerful mudra should be introduced. So I started with only SBP in kechari, and the rest of the sit without it. What happened is that new energy is being unleashed in the body, and this manifests through intense flexing, stretching, clenching and opening of my jaw and mouth, also flexing the neck etc. It makes my mouth to go wide open basically and the tongue keeps rolling back and wants to go up. Today it actually entered the pharynx on it's own. So I tried to stay in kechari alternately also during DM and samyama, and the result is that when the tongue is up, all the mess around flexing and opening ceases and the practice gets smoother and quieter and the energy get's apparently well channeled.

So what would you do? Stay with only SBP in kechari, or alternate spontaneously during DM and samyama? Some ideas?

Thanks Victor for your advice regarding tension due to stretching the tongue, this doesn't seem to be a problem so far. Actually I find it rather cozy up there right from the beginning.[;)]