Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 16196 times)

TVD

What are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2008, 12:57:17 AM »
Kali's Odiyya: A shaman's true story of initiation by Amarananda Bhairavan
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli by Yogani
Einstein's Dreams By Alan Lightman (a really beautiful book)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (I think this book has a deeper message than most people give it credit for)
Logomachy Of Zos by Austin Osman Spare (http://hermetic.com/spare/index.html)
Symbolism in Hinduism compiled by Swami Nityanand (I sampled it here, http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=1139&whichpage=2)
http://vignanabhairavatantra.blogspot.com/(not a book, but on a list of things to read I'd have to put this, even if it is incomplete I think it's more comprehensive than Osho's or Daniel Odier's version of this Tantra)
Shin Angyo Onshi, which is a Manwha (Korean Comic book) but it's still REALLY good. You can read it online at http://www.onemanga.com/Shin_Angyo_Onshi/
Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:36:12 PM by TVD »

thibaud05

What are you reading?
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 04:12:02 AM »
Hi all,
I am deep into "In search of the miraculous : fragments of an unknown teaching" by P.D Ouspenski based on the teachings of the 4th way by Gurdjieff.  There is a tremendous wealth of esoteric knowledge here to be taken with consideration and caution.  It's that kind of book to me that has magnetic presence and resonance.  The ideas I found here are very challenging and provoking, and that's just what I like. For example according to Gurdjieff, Kundalini is the last thing a man with his senses would desire to awaken because he links Kundalini with the power of illusion, of one living in his imagination instead of reality.
Works beautifully as a much needed wake up call when one starts feeling a bit lost in the myriads of beliefs and mystical systems.
Highly recommended for the inquiring mind.
[:)]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:46:50 AM by thibaud05 »

NagoyaSea

What are you reading?
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2009, 04:11:34 AM »
I recently finished the book “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver.  I enjoyed it and learned from it. It has inspired some changes in my own food purchases and way of living.  For some time I've been trying not to buy food that was transported hundreds or thousands of miles to our locale.  I'm trying to think in terms of energy cost for food production and consumption and what it means to sustainability for our planet.

The book chronicled a year in a family’s life after a decision to “eat locally”.  They moved from Arizona to rural Virginia where they had inherited some land.  They grew as much of their own food as possible, and kept chickens and turkeys.  They supplemented that with purchases from the local farmer’s market.  And to get through the cold Virginia winters, they canned, froze, dried and ‘put by’ as much food as they could from their harvest.

They did have to make some purchases at the grocery store but when they did, they tried to buy only items that were shipped less than one hundred miles to their area. They ended up making a switch to eating what was in season for their area.

Interspersed with the narrative of their efforts were essays about the commercial food industry, locavores, nutrition and recipes. Parts of the book were really funny and parts were a little dry.

Kathy

yogani

• AYP Plus
What are you reading?
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2009, 05:15:21 AM »
Hi All:

"The End of Your World" by Adyashanti (new book)

Practical advice for those dipping in and out of unity/non-duality experiences.

The advice is specific to "Adya-Zen-style" awakenings, which can be a little (or very) rough. We avoid much of that (or hope to) in AYP with the pre-cultivation of abiding inner silence -- the witness. Even so, Adyashanti offers a lot of  practical information here for anyone who is involved in self-inquiry and non-duality. Good stuff!

The guru is in you.

Yonatan

What are you reading?
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2009, 06:16:32 AM »
I'm currently reading "I AM THAT" by Nissargadatta Maharaj.

I read it little by little. It's very profound..

I want to recommend the book "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse, for anyone who hasn't read it, I read it a long time ago but got reminded of it recently, it's a really great novel..

Simon

What are you reading?
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2009, 06:42:13 AM »
quote:
I'm currently reading "I AM THAT" by Nissargadatta Maharaj.

I read it little by little. It's very profound..

Me too :)  It's awesome, isn't it ?  I've never read a spiritual book with such deepness and clarity before.

Yonatan

What are you reading?
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2009, 07:31:44 AM »
Yes, very awesome [:)]

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
What are you reading?
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 06:58:34 PM »
Wake up and Roar. vol. 1,2.

satsang with Papaji (a student of Ramana Maharshi and the teacher of people like Gangaji and Mooji)

you know how some books have a certain vibe, and you feel like it's nourishment for the soul well this book have tons of That (everything concerning papaji even after him leaving the body radiates with that; it's Self reaching towards the Self)

a great helpful read for those who are interested in self inquiry.

A

gumpi

What are you reading?
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »
I have several books going at once.  just looking at my windowsill i have Yogananda's Second Coming of Christ, Osho on Patanjali's yoga sutra, the big AYP book, Robert Anton Wilson's Sex, Drugs and Magick, Die to Live by Maharaj Charan Singh, How God Changes the Brain by Andrew Newberg, a commentary on the Quran, and i am reading a PDF called The Crown of Life by Kirpal Singh.

I probably have about 400 books in my collection.  Just some years of buying whenever i could.  I am at a loss at what to do about them all.  It is not very nice having so many possessions.  I could find myself moving to a tiny flat in the future and i'm sure there won't be enough space.  But if i had to get rid of most of the books i have i would definitely keep the big AYP book.  That one i know.[:)]

thibaud05

What are you reading?
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 09:42:58 PM »
"Teachings of Ma Ananda Moyi"

If you're like me, we have both figured out that the teaching of a cosmic avatar in such a lovely body-form has great appeal.  I find it so blissful to surrender to Goddess Herself.
[:D][:I]

Buffle37

• http://www.aypsite.ch/
What are you reading?
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »
Hi all
Such an interesting thread

I can add :
http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrims-Tale-Classics-Western-Spirituality/dp/0809137097/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250143652&sr=1-7
An amazing book I read when I was 14, and I never forget.
To discover Orthodox  mysticism and the prayer of the heart.

If you want a marvelous romance of love and spiritual quest in the old Thibet written by a native thibetan:
http://www.amazon.com/Mipam-Tibetan-Albert-Arthur-Yongden/dp/094338933X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250147811&sr=1-1#

and of course all Alexandra David-Neel’s books.

http://www.amazon.com/Krishnamurtis-Notebook-Jiddu-Krishnamurti/dp/1888004630/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250147947&sr=1-13
Krisnaji had such an influence on me when I was in my thirties that his teachings lead me to the border line of total despair. Yet I recommand these book, the K-Notebook his a daily record of his perceptions and states of consciousness written by K. for seven months and a first hand testimonial of the life of this mysterious man.

Autobiography of a Yogi
The gospel of Ramakrishna
These books are a must for the spiritual seekers and have already be mentionned in this thread, I can add :
The life of Ramakrishna by Romain Roland
Unfortunately it seems to be out of print in english perhaps you cand find it in a library .

Didier

gumpi

What are you reading?
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2009, 12:55:58 AM »
Hello Buffle,

Did you ever meet Krishnamurti?  As you say, a mysterious man..

Love the Gospel of Ramakrishna.  I'm sure the Romain Roland version would be available from a Vedanta ashram.

Autobiography of a Yogi got me on the yoga path.  Undoubtedly one of the best books of all time.

Buffle37

• http://www.aypsite.ch/
What are you reading?
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2009, 05:24:38 AM »
Hi Gumpi
I had no personnal interwiew with K. but many time I took the road from Geneva  to Saanen to attend his lectures.
K. enter the huge tent where thousands of people are waiting and suddently there is an tremendous silence.The little man seat on the platform, on a little chair, without any decorum, wihout any applaus, then during a few minutes he looks intensely the audience without any word, then begins to speak : extraordinary words wich destroy without pity all beliefs, all the creations of the mind leaving you alone face to the unknown you are unable to enter.
The audience listen without understanding and here we have a lonely man than nobody can
follow.
In the middle of the lecture a noisy train enter Saanen’station , K.stops to speak and there is only the noise of the train in the silence.
I read somewhere in the writings of K that when he enters the tent he does not  know what he will say and I wonder if he was some kind of a medium .The theosophists believed he was the human vehicule of a Great one (Lord Maitreya ?)
It remains a mystery

Metta

What are you reading?
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2009, 06:20:41 AM »
Hi all,

I have not seen any mention Jon Kabat-Zinn and his books. Any of you read any of his book(s)?

machi

What are you reading?
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »
I just finished Albert Low's The Origin of Human Nature: A Zen Buddhist Looks at Evolution. I found it quite a good book, and quite daring to write a book on a topic that is considered "scientific territory" - he has no scientific education. However, his approach to illustrate the origin of creativity and how it creates itself is very straightforward. I think that many people who acknowledge transcendentalism will agree with most - if not all - points in the book. Hardcore materialists will give up after a few pages, as soon as they see the word "transcendental"...