Author Topic: taking responsibility for AYP  (Read 5637 times)

Victor

taking responsibility for AYP
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2006, 08:37:23 AM »
Katrine for Iyengar I would first suggest his book "Light On Yoga" rather than starting with a website. It is a classic in the field

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2006, 10:17:50 AM »
quote:
My suggestion is that donations be primarily for what you feel AYP has given to you, rather than for what you think AYP needs.

Respectfully Yogani, I have to say... I cannot afford to pay AYP for what it has given me.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2006, 12:55:07 PM »
Me neither- i'm running a tab. When they open centers I'll be doing maintenance.

star

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2006, 02:30:14 PM »
Hi guys

I have another suggestion.  I read this book “The Secrets of the millionaire’s mind" which is about how to think about creating and keeping money, how to market your product effectively and how to think and change your money blue print.  It is all about consciousness.  This company is giving free workshop around the country in this subject which I'm going to attend.  Since we have a universal product already "AYP" all we need to know is how to market it effectively if that is what we want.  So I suggest some of you go to this workshop.  Here is the site check it out. www.millionairemind.com.  It is free until July, then it will cost more than 2000 to attend.

yogani99

• http://www.aypsite.org
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2006, 02:39:27 PM »
Hi Shanti & Etherfish:

Well, it is not intended as a requirement. Only a way of avoiding future expectations on the AYP work, which I am a bit sensitive about.

In any case, I am very happy that you feel you are benefiting. There are lots of ways to help out, and I know you are in your own way. It is all balanced in the long run. We are all giving to someone -- paying it forward. It is the nature of what we are cultivating within ourselves.  

The guru is in you.

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »
Another book to recommend (arguably better for beginners and intermediates) is "Yoga the Iyengar Way".

Etherfish

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2006, 01:04:48 AM »
Iyengar official website:
http://www.bksiyengar.com/

If you google, there are a lot of other sites.

yogani99

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2006, 02:18:49 AM »
Hi All:

To follow up on the yoga teachers discussion, where do yoga teachers and suppliers of yoga supplies and books gather to share? Are there yoga trade shows and conventions? I have not found any so far. Do Iyengar, International Yoga Federation or other large yoga organizations sponsor any? Do Yoga Journal or other large yoga publications sponsor any?

I think we have not found AYP's main audience yet. We have been relying on the audience finding AYP, which has been happening here on the websites. But it is only the tip of the iceberg.

The AYP books were exhibited heavily at a recent new age trade show. It has hardly made a ripple in book sales. I realize now that, for the most part, new agers are not AYP's main audience. We will dutifully exhibit in another new age trade show in June, a large librarian's trade show in March, and the world's largest book trade show (Book Expo America) in May. But I think all of these will miss our primary audience, which is serious practitioners -- yoga teachers and avid yogis and yoginis. Where do these rare birds gather in groups? Birds of a feather, you know. That is where we should be exhibiting the AYP books.

Any ideas?

The guru is in you.

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2006, 04:00:16 AM »
I think this is a great example of the sort of situation where the more we press and try to evangelize, the less it'll work. There are a whole lot of people out there pressing and evangelizing various spiritual programs, and so long as AYP is promoted at trade shows and the like, it will be perceived as just another contestant on the marketing obstacle course. If AYP were truly no more than "just another contestant", then, indeed, joining the pack and running hard would be the thing to do.

But if AYP grows more quietly, more organically, more via the slow, unforced build of word of mouth (i.e. not because any of us are ASKING practitioners to promote, but just the viral outgrowth of folks finding tremenous value and, naturally, spreading the word on their own), that'll be more successful in the end, because AYP has the advantage of being tremendously efficacious. And efficacious stuff promotes itself....very gradually. The organic way requires a lot more time, but a lot less stress, energy, and money. The pressing way is high stress and high resource, but if timing's right and the market's right (I'm not sure either are), you can maybe make things happen a little quicker.

In other words, if I shlep boxes of books to every yoga class in town, I'm seen as one of a vast sea of proselytizers, and that is more likely to repel than to work. But if I do AYP and get calm and peaceful and even just five people deeply notice and three look into AYP, that's a much stronger thing. obviously, it takes longer, though. But the transmission/dissemination is at a deep level, and showing a dignity that's befitting of this practice. (And this, incidentally, is what I'm doing. I'm slowly slipping the books to a few yoga teachers who know me well and respect me...not the most famous ones, not the ones with the largest classes, just ones who are likely to understand. To some I give one meditation book, to others, a bunch of them to give out. And I'm very very careful to not be pushy about it, because that just turns off people.)

Some people with something to promote/market aim to go the organic route, but also push and goose a little by encouraging people to encourage people. Sort of a hybrid solution. That may work, but AYP is good enough that you don't need to push people. You just need to give them time to experience the fruits. As they do, dissemination will start to occur. Yogani, I think even if you do absolutely nothing else, this will catch on. But slowly. Yogani, I hate to see you spending so much money. Let us do that heavy lifting for you....but organically. Over years and years. The operation I work for managed to do exactly that...created a known brand without spending a dime by letting other people advocate. We never pushed (we just did what we did as well as possible and counted on people to fall in love with what we did). And that lack of pushiness was key to our success. If we'd pushed, it wouldn't have happened the same way.

I recommend an AYP approach to promoting AYP.  It's slow, very slow, but if we can wait a decade or two, and not get caught up in visions of thriving franchises, countless people could eventually be practicing.

Hmmm...just reread this posting. One very important point: if anyone DOES have a brilliant way to promote via "pushier" tactics, go for it! If Victor wants to shoot Rodney Yee an AYP book, go for it (I've sent one to another yoga star, fwiw)! Let's grab all the low fruit, for sure! I'm not suggesting giving up on scheming to get the word out a little faster. I'm just saying it will all happen on its own over time, anyway (how can it not?) and that pushing too much, especially via conventional channels, might be counterproductive.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 04:28:44 AM by Jim and His Karma »

yogani99

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2006, 04:29:06 AM »
Hi Jim:

I agree with you. If the thing is truly an innovation, a sea change, it will almost certainly be discovered eventually. But it must be seen by someone somewhere for this process to begin and progress. There is little doubt that if it is seen by many someones in many places the dissemination will happen faster.

It is a question of preference for velocity. Can we walk to Los Angeles from New York? Sure. Very few will want to go that way. Some may prefer to drive. Most will fly. All options are available, and we know what our choices are. The key is in knowing the choices -- having them visible, and being free to choose.

Exhibiting the AYP books (having them visible to the right audiences) is a pretty benign process. So is word of mouth. Yes, it surely is a hybrid. Everyone has their own approach to passing information, and that is honored and appreciated here.

I remind you that this community would not be here now if AYP had not been very heavily promoted in the early Yahoo days, and again when the several websites were launched. Would a slower path have been okay? Sure, but maybe you would not have run across it by now either. Well, I am very glad you did... [:)]  

The guru is in you.

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2006, 07:43:12 AM »
I'm gladder than you, believe me.

Yogani, if you walked into the woods and never did another thing, the practice would continue and grow.

We can argue on the fine points, and we (and you) can do more or less to push the process, but I'm certain enough of this to offer it as a guarantee (and who among us would want to disappoint you?!). I told you I was pretty confident about this a year ago, but that was based on my own experience. Seeing some of the recent postings (especially the ones from Shanti and Etherfish, above) confirms it.

I've been to a lot of yoga schools, ashrams, zendos, gurukulums, retreats, etc. And I've seen lots of touchy-feely people spout platitudes while sinking deeper and deeper into the prisons of their personal dramas. But this $hit works.

And enough of us know it that we're never going to stop doing it, and it's changing our lives. And that can't POSSIBLY help but grow outward in time. Even if just ten of us are seeing the benefit of this practice (and I bet it's many more than that), it's enough. This is far, far deeper than consumer preference for, say, soda or running shoes. People won't necessarily contribute via the PayPal link (though I did), but they will spread it just because it's part of who they are.

Anything else is gravy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 01:04:21 PM by Jim and His Karma »

Etherfish

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »
Yes I think it is better to grow slowly. For instance I got 5 Deep Meditation books, and have only given four out so far. But those four were to people whom i am sure will read them.

The way to make something like this grow fast is to promote it in a way that catches people's eye. "Better sex, look better, reduce stress, get in shape, lose weight."
Those kind of things catch people's eyes, and they spend money on a product and forget it three months later.

This kind of thing catches on slowly, and only to special people who are ready, but a year later they are still interested.
There may be some quick boosts like if someone mentions it on a TV talk show, with a sudden boost in book sales, but that won't really do much to interest the kind of people who will really benefit. Those kind of people gather slowly, and read the forum!

Meridian tapping has been trying to grow for years even though they have cured thousands of phobias in 10 minutes treatment. Meridian resistance stretching has been trying to grow for years even though they can create permanent flexibility and cure psychological problems at the same time. But they have hundreds of avid students.

People in general don't understand what we're doing. They want to please God, or get powers or money or sex or recognition. How can you make people aware of ecstatic conductivity when science doesn't recognize the existance of prana? We would have to show them somehow that life can be better, and in a way that is measurable for them to be interested.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:25:07 PM by Etherfish »

weaver

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2006, 02:19:17 PM »
I share Jim's point of view in this matter of promoting AYP. I feel that AYP still is a very young science (the way it's organized in concentrated form), and I wouldn't be comfortable trying to sell this to the masses at this stage. As far as I know only 1 person has passed through the all the steps successfully, and he was of more than average motivation and spiritual readiness before he started. We don't know how various stages of purification will manifest on a wide range of practitioners with various emotional issues or obstructions in the nervous system. Or, if they have been taking drugs (prescription or not) or been drinking or smoking etc. And, I would feel guilty if I would throw AYP into the hands of those who may not have the maturity to use it wisely.

It's different to have the knowledge available like we have now, then only those who are really looking for it will find it, and those will likely be more ready for it. It's actually fairly easy to find AYP via Google if you search for common relevant terms. I think AYP needs to be tested on a wide range of subjects (and I am happy to be a test subject!) so there can be proof that they can finish the journey successfully, then that would make a great selling point too.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:48:13 PM by weaver »

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2006, 07:32:18 PM »
I agree that Jim has given some very wise counsel and I am delighted to see it backed up by Etherfish and weaver.
Louis

yogani99

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2006, 02:52:29 AM »
Hi All:

I'm afraid I have to take issue. The reason good products and services are not well known is almost always because they have not been effectively promoted/marketed. And the reverse is true also. Chopra's and Tolle's fine works are well known not because they are better than other works, but because they have been effectively marketed.

"Marketing" is a sort of dirty word among purists. I think that is naive. It is easy to take the purist position when we think we already have the thing. But do we?

Consider this. Our spiritual progress depends as much on the other person finding their path as on the perception that we have found ours. It is a fact. So there is an urgency involved.

This is what drives all genuine spiritual teachers. It is a maturing of bhakti -- spiritual desire extending beyond our personal self to everyone else. We will know we have it when we become just as concerned about the spiritual progress of others as we are about our own, writing no one off as unworthy or unready -- no one. It is not for us to decide. It is for them to decide, and they cannot do that without adequate information.  

Personal and global spiritual progress cannot be separated. When they are, the path is incomplete.  

The guru is in you.