Author Topic: Okay, what just happened ...  (Read 579 times)

amoux

Okay, what just happened ...
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »
I've very recently started doing some Kundalini yoga for a change from my usual asana practice.  Early this morning, I was simply doing the warm-up exercises, just finished the Sufi grind, and applied mulabandha - felt a lot of heat in the head and vibration, then wham!  Gone.  Came back to a sudden jumble of thoughts - 'that doesn't feel right' kind of thing, a bit of anxiety - and I lay straight down in corpse.  Felt really shaky so stoped the routine and made myself some tea.  

I've done this routine a couple of times and never had anything like this happen.  I didn't faint, because I was still sitting on my cushion when I 'came around'.  Still feeling the effects in both legs a half an hour later, so I'm holding off meditating for a bit longer.

Recently I've noticed that there's a fair amount of involuntary breath suspension going on in SBP - and I notice I'm (again involuntarily) doing SBP during DM.  As soon as I realise that's happening I stop it, and simply return to the mantra.

I did a home AYP retreat for 3 days last week, and it all went fine.  Practice has been really stable of late, so I'm trying to work out what's going on.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 05:25:07 PM by amoux »

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:31:25 PM »
Hi Amoux,

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Energy (prana) doing it's thing. If you feel uncomfortable with what is happening, just cut down on your practices for a while. Kundalini yoga can be a bit heavy on the energy side, which can lead to problems for some people. Could be simpler not to mix systems.

You are doing the right thing with regard to the SBP and DM. If spinal breathing happens during meditation, just notice that and come back to the mantra, and vice versa.

Christi

amoux

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Many thanks for the reassurance Christi.  I just did morning practice, had to lie down to do it, legs moving all the time - so stopped after 20 minutes, and had breakfast.

The k-yoga is something that I'm really enjoying, and find very interesting.  Although I take your point about mixing systems.  I shall proceed with caution [:)]

amoux

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:38:32 PM »
By way of info, I did the k-yoga routine again in the afternoon with no problems at all, and evening practices were great.  Noticed wonderful wafts of fragrance during the day.  Slept like a baby last night (and I'm a chronic insomniac since K activated), and woke to a quite ridiculous sense of physical well-being [:)]  So I'm going to carry on with the k-yoga for my asana practice, and see how it goes.  It appears that what happened yesterday morning was a fairly major shift - and I can do with all I can get of those.