Author Topic: A Buddhist with an awakend Kundalini  (Read 4006 times)

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
A Buddhist with an awakend Kundalini
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 06:05:29 PM »
quote:

Hi Christi,

I said, "refutes a higher Self or a Lord God." The Buddha refutes a Brahman. The subtle distinction arrives where Brahman is experienced as consciousness. The Buddha's view is that emptiness is beyond consciousness and that consciousness clinging is a hindrance. the Buddha asserts that consciousness is enmeshed in the interdependent web of existence. Brahman, Ishvara and purusha is a manifestation, consciousness. Consciousness depends on mind, intellect and Self. Therefore, the Buddha refuted both a Lord God Brahma and unitary Self or Brahman as aggregate and thereby unreal.

The Buddha rejected also purusha and atma; he asserts selflessness and absence of soul. Look at book 1, verse 17 of the Yoga Sutras, "Samprajnata samadhi is accomplished by reasoning, reflecting, rejoicing and pure I-am-ness." <-- This statement is antithetical to the Buddha's core teaching that nirvana is the relief from "me-ness," "my-ness" and "I-ness," even in the pure "I-am-ness" sense of a purusha or a Brahman.

Besides, Patanjali refers consistently to Ishvara not Brahman and Ishvara is God. I don't find the word "Brahman" in the Yoga Sutras. And I'm looking at the Sanskrit. The Buddha sought to dispel the contradiction yogis make that consciousness is one, yet consciousness consists of mind, intellect and self. Even AUM is A, U and M, aggregate.

Why didn't the Buddha use the word "Brahman"? If it was just a semantic difference, then why didn't he just stick with the old language? Why come up with dependent origination, selflessness, soullessness and emptiness? If it weren't for this distinction the Buddha would be Sri Gotama Swami Brahmananada.

This is why the Buddha claimed to be the teacher even of the Gods; while Patanjali instructs that Ishvara is the teacher of the oldest teachers.

Maybe you should read up on this before you assert that the Buddha wasn't trying to radically reform yoga, Christi.

We can't always force a square peg into a round hole, and I like round holes as much as the next guy. Then again, what do I know, I'm way off the mark. Both Dharma and Yoga adhere to truth, nature and intelligence exist for our emancipation.

HA!

Hi TMS

I still think you are way off the mark, and have simply failed to understand both the Buddha’s teachings and that of Patanjali.

In Yoga, Brahman is beyond consciousness. Consciousness arises with sense perception. Brahman is beyond both sense perception, and consciousness. Brahman, Ishwara, the Parapurusha, are beyond all manifestation, and thus are non-aggregate.

When the Buddha talked about the absence of a separate self (anata), he was talking about the ahankara, the ego. After the Buddha’s enlightenment, he was still there, no? And able to tell a lot of other people how to follow him. ;)

Ishwara is Brahman. Ishwara means the Lord and refers to Brahman. So why did the Buddha not use the word Brahman? I believe he thought that so many people misunderstood its actual meaning that it was better to avoid the use of the word. A bit like the word "enlightenment" today.

I don't think the Buddha was trying to radically reform yoga. I think he was trying to correct some misunderstandings in yoga that were around at the time in his locality.

I still think you would benefit from reading up on all this before trying to assert that Buddhism and Yoga are in some ways opposed to each other.

And you could do that before writing Mahayana Buddhist practices off as being a waste of time. :)

Christi
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:01:55 PM by Christi »

stevenbhow

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »
Wow, this little thread really took on a life of it's own. Very interesting stuff. Obviously I'm no expert on Buddhism or Yoga, but after reading Play of Consciousness and then The Secret of the Vajrayana right after that they seem to have a lot in common at least where Gurus are concerned. I personally have no problem learning from both.

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
second that Christy, + no spiritual practice is a waste of time...

themysticseeker

• http://www.intheheart.us
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 04:08:10 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

quote:

Hi Christi,

I said, "refutes a higher Self or a Lord God." The Buddha refutes a Brahman. The subtle distinction arrives where Brahman is experienced as consciousness. The Buddha's view is that emptiness is beyond consciousness and that consciousness clinging is a hindrance. the Buddha asserts that consciousness is enmeshed in the interdependent web of existence. Brahman, Ishvara and purusha is a manifestation, consciousness. Consciousness depends on mind, intellect and Self. Therefore, the Buddha refuted both a Lord God Brahma and unitary Self or Brahman as aggregate and thereby unreal.

The Buddha rejected also purusha and atma; he asserts selflessness and absence of soul. Look at book 1, verse 17 of the Yoga Sutras, "Samprajnata samadhi is accomplished by reasoning, reflecting, rejoicing and pure I-am-ness." <-- This statement is antithetical to the Buddha's core teaching that nirvana is the relief from "me-ness," "my-ness" and "I-ness," even in the pure "I-am-ness" sense of a purusha or a Brahman.

Besides, Patanjali refers consistently to Ishvara not Brahman and Ishvara is God. I don't find the word "Brahman" in the Yoga Sutras. And I'm looking at the Sanskrit. The Buddha sought to dispel the contradiction yogis make that consciousness is one, yet consciousness consists of mind, intellect and self. Even AUM is A, U and M, aggregate.

Why didn't the Buddha use the word "Brahman"? If it was just a semantic difference, then why didn't he just stick with the old language? Why come up with dependent origination, selflessness, soullessness and emptiness? If it weren't for this distinction the Buddha would be Sri Gotama Swami Brahmananada.

This is why the Buddha claimed to be the teacher even of the Gods; while Patanjali instructs that Ishvara is the teacher of the oldest teachers.

Maybe you should read up on this before you assert that the Buddha wasn't trying to radically reform yoga, Christi.

We can't always force a square peg into a round hole, and I like round holes as much as the next guy. Then again, what do I know, I'm way off the mark. Both Dharma and Yoga adhere to truth, nature and intelligence exist for our emancipation.

HA!

Hi TMS

I still think you are way off the mark, and have simply failed to understand both the Buddha’s teachings and that of Patanjali.

In Yoga, Brahman is beyond consciousness. Consciousness arises with sense perception. Brahman is beyond both sense perception, and consciousness. Brahman, Ishwara, the Parapurusha, are beyond all manifestation, and thus are non-aggregate.

When the Buddha talked about the absence of a separate self (anata), he was talking about the ahankara, the ego. After the Buddha’s enlightenment, he was still there, no? And able to tell a lot of other people how to follow him. ;)

Ishwara is Brahman. Ishwara means the Lord and refers to Brahman. So why did the Buddha not use the word Brahman? I believe he thought that so many people misunderstood its actual meaning that it was better to avoid the use of the word. A bit like the word "enlightenment" today.

I don't think the Buddha was trying to radically reform yoga. I think he was trying to correct some misunderstandings in yoga that were around at the time in his locality.

I still think you would benefit from reading up on all this before trying to assert that Buddhism and Yoga are in some ways opposed to each other.

And you could do that before writing Mahayana Buddhist practices off as being a waste of time. :)

Christi

I've read it all many times, dear. It's all I do. Before you dispense with your judgment and sentence that I am ignorant, try to consider that my interpretation of it is different. Also try to consider that my point of view has some weight. Also try to accept a little bit that I bring these findings, not so that I can be correct, but because my insights are relevant and important to crossing the divide into perfect peace. I'm here for the meditators who would benefit from advanced experience. If I'm not helping, I'll take my toys and go play by myself.

Why didn't Patanjali say Brahman? Ishvara is God as Creator. This discussion is about Patanjali's Yoga who was in the Samkya school. What you are describing, the unmanifest Brahman is Advaita Vedanta. Have you even read the Yoga Sutras? I think I probably have about twelve translations in my possession. All commentators on the Yoga Sutras translate Isvara as God or Lord. I also know from experience with Indian culture, that Ishvara is God and purusha is soul. Patanjali could have used Brahman but didn't. His practice included bhakti, something Buddha rejected. Brahman is consciousness. You can say unmanifest consciousness if you want, but I would say that "unmanifest consciousness" is an oxymoron. Consciousness is a manifestation of mind, intellect and Self. Patanjali lays this out in the first stanzas of the Yoga Sutras.

Yoga is a big topic with many schools. I can easily say that the Buddha's school of Anatta Yoga was an innovation over Samkya and Advaita Vedanta. The Buddha was a reformer and the most well regarded teacher of meditation. His innovation over the old regime is very hard to understand in debate format. It has to be expressed as the meditator enters samadhi. It is not God as the object of meditation that allows you to cling to nothing whatsoever and thereby enter Nirvana, but not clinging to an object of meditation.

The Buddha introduced these concepts of emptiness and dependent origination to allow the meditator to let go. Otherwise, we warned the meditator would hit a dead end in meditation, become frustrated and suffer, usually resorting to base ceremony and blind devotion.

It is a common error of my who are new to the path to see every path as ONE, ignoring the distinctions points and counter points. It is a nice gesture, though; we should all get along. Unfortunately, a serious student of these matters must address the reality of the difference and the reality of the similarities.

One could say, "Gee Surrender, You are clinging to selflessness." Maybe, I'm harping on this point, and that is ending now, but, in fact, if there is no self, then I can't cling to it, and you can't cling to something that isn't there. I certainly can't cling to an absence of something. The Buddha said that realizing emptiness in meditation is for the "wise."

Whatever philosophy you want to spew, no matter what the spew says, if it is in your mind in meditation, "I am that," you are in compound land and have hit a dead end. If you are in no-mind samadhi bliss you are equally at a dead end, because without mind you cannot realize and integrate this wisdom into your life. The final deconstruction of "I am that" results in descontruction of "I" and "that." "I" is an aggregate, and so is "that"/consciousness. This avenue is beyond the scope of the philosophical department of metaphysics. This is beyond the scope of debate and discussion.

I can easily say there is no selflessness either; it won't matter. What matters is the Buddha's only exhortation and admonition to "cling to no thing whatsoever." Consciousness is a thing, Christi, put the puppy down so that it can go play and you can achieve real stillness.

HA!

Respect and blessings

TMS

Steve

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »
Hi TMS,
quote:
I'm here for the meditators who would benefit from advanced experience. If I'm not helping, I'll take my toys and go play by myself.
I encourage you to keep posting.  Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and insights in this forum. It is appreciated.

Love and Light,
Steve [:)]

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »
no TMS please stay, you are most welcomed around here.

but take it easy on the guys[;)], oh and it would be nice if one day you can share with us a post about your experience with suffism.

kindest regards,

Ananda

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »
Hi TMS

quote:
I've read it all many times, dear. It's all I do. Before you dispense with your judgment and sentence that I am ignorant,

I don't consider you to be ignorant at all. But I do think your understanding of this subject would be helped by a better understanding of the terms involved. That is all.

quote:
Have you even read the Yoga Sutras? I think I probably have about twelve translations in my possession. All commentators on the Yoga Sutras translate Isvara as God or Lord.

Whether you read 12 translations, or one original, you still need to understand the sanskrit terms used in order to understand the meanings. Yes, Ishwara means Lord, or God. God is the same as Brahman, The Father, Allah, Paramatma or whatever other name you wish to use.

Patanjali understood advaita, as advaita is part of yoga. Advaita is the non-dual aspect of the universe which is present everywhere. It is known in samadhi, which is the 8th limb of his yoga.

quote:
I also know from experience with Indian culture, that Ishvara is God and purusha is soul.

Every individual soul, purusha, is a light of the supreme soul, parapurusha, which is Ishwara, the Lord.

quote:
Yoga is a big topic with many schools. I can easily say that the Buddha's school of Anatta Yoga was an innovation over Samkya and Advaita Vedanta. The Buddha was a reformer and the most well regarded teacher of meditation. His innovation over the old regime is very hard to understand in debate format. It has to be expressed as the meditator enters samadhi.

I am not saying that the Buddha did not bring many great things to Yoga, he did. But to say that he was diametrically opposed to what came before him, or after him, is simply not true. He was expressing the same truths in another way, just as most spiritual teachers do.

quote:
His practice included bhakti, something Buddha rejected.

Don't be too quick to make statements like this. Buddhism involves a great deal of bhakti, even when the Buddha was alive.

quote:
It is a common error of my who are new to the path to see every path as ONE, ignoring the distinctions points and counter points. It is a nice gesture, though; we should all get along. Unfortunately, a serious student of these matters must address the reality of the difference and the reality of the similarities.

One of the roles of the mind is to create differences when in fact there are none. Ultimately, there are none at all.

Christi

david_obsidian

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 01:59:48 AM »
TMS said:
Yoga and Dharma are distinct paths; they are not compatible.

TMS, sometimes your best option is to say, 'Oh, excuse me, I was wrong, oops, never mind.'

If you want to be a spiritual teacher, you may feel the temptation to present yourself as someone who makes no mistakes. But if you follow that path, you are more likely to become a cultic leader.

You can actually be both a cultic leader and a spiritual teacher. But if you do, your spiritual teaching will be terribly marred by your bad example.

In what came to us from India in the twentieth-century, this bad example is so general that most people just think this is the way things are and should be with spiritual teaching. Spiritual teaching and cultic leadership are bound up in their minds. But in the end, these cultic leadership situations are a circus, obscuring yoga, usually with a poser of very limited understanding as the ring-master. You, on the other hand, already have understanding.  Why waste it?

You can see this. As you say yourself:

Stop it.

Stop taking yourself so seriously.

Stop taking us so seriously as if you cannot admit you have been a fool on front of us, as we have all been in our time.

Better to be a clown who takes spiritual teaching seriously, than a poser who takes himself to seriously.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:48:25 AM by david_obsidian »

themysticseeker

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 04:14:22 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

TMS said:
Yoga and Dharma are distinct paths; they are not compatible.

TMS, sometimes your best option is to say, 'Oh, excuse me, I was wrong, oops, never mind.'

If you want to be a spiritual teacher, you may feel the temptation to present yourself as someone who makes no mistakes. But if you follow that path, you are more likely to become a cultic leader.

You can actually be both a cultic leader and a spiritual teacher. But if you do, your spiritual teaching will be terribly marred by your bad example.

In what came to us from India in the twentieth-century, this bad example is so general that most people just think this is the way things are and should be with spiritual teaching. Spiritual teaching and cultic leadership are bound up in their minds. But in the end, these cultic leadership situations are a circus, obscuring yoga, usually with a poser of very limited understanding as the ring-master. You, on the other hand, already have understanding.  Why waste it?

You can see this. As you say yourself:

Stop it.

Stop taking yourself so seriously.

Stop taking us so seriously as if you cannot admit you have been a fool on front of us, as we have all been in our time.

Better to be a clown who takes spiritual teaching seriously, than a poser who takes himself to seriously.

Hi David, I don't take myself seriously. I like to mix things up. We are having a debate. And Christi and I disagree about something. I'm definitely the clown. I don't come from India, I was born in Oregon though. Christi, likes to use what's known as ad hominem attacks rather than addressing specific points. Eh, Christi?

Love,

TMS

themysticseeker

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 04:29:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi TMS

quote:
I've read it all many times, dear. It's all I do. Before you dispense with your judgment and sentence that I am ignorant,

I don't consider you to be ignorant at all. But I do think your understanding of this subject would be helped by a better understanding of the terms involved. That is all.

quote:
Have you even read the Yoga Sutras? I think I probably have about twelve translations in my possession. All commentators on the Yoga Sutras translate Isvara as God or Lord.

Whether you read 12 translations, or one original, you still need to understand the sanskrit terms used in order to understand the meanings. Yes, Ishwara means Lord, or God. God is the same as Brahman, The Father, Allah, Paramatma or whatever other name you wish to use.

Patanjali understood advaita, as advaita is part of yoga. Advaita is the non-dual aspect of the universe which is present everywhere. It is known in samadhi, which is the 8th limb of his yoga.

quote:
I also know from experience with Indian culture, that Ishvara is God and purusha is soul.

Every individual soul, purusha, is a light of the supreme soul, parapurusha, which is Ishwara, the Lord.

quote:
Yoga is a big topic with many schools. I can easily say that the Buddha's school of Anatta Yoga was an innovation over Samkya and Advaita Vedanta. The Buddha was a reformer and the most well regarded teacher of meditation. His innovation over the old regime is very hard to understand in debate format. It has to be expressed as the meditator enters samadhi.

I am not saying that the Buddha did not bring many great things to Yoga, he did. But to say that he was diametrically opposed to what came before him, or after him, is simply not true. He was expressing the same truths in another way, just as most spiritual teachers do.

quote:
His practice included bhakti, something Buddha rejected.

Don't be too quick to make statements like this. Buddhism involves a great deal of bhakti, even when the Buddha was alive.

quote:

One of the roles of the mind is to create differences when in fact there are none. Ultimately, there are none at all.

Christi

Hi Christi, I think we have peace. Notwithstanding there is no difference between Buddhism and Astanga Yoga, that they are indeed the same path, please explain what is distinct, if any? You are aware that Patanjali wrote 500 years after the Buddha began teaching? Although, it appears that Patanjali transcribed a practice that pre-dates the Buddha, because it appears very much in line with Vedanta and the Upanishads. Whereas, the Buddha introduced new terms like anatta and shunyata.

My understanding was that the Buddha introduced a new method of meditation, supplemented by indoctrinating inductees with the Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path and the Precepts. I thought he wanted to align students to the correct view initially, with selflessness as the seed, that way he could introduce selflessness at the beginning and have it flower fully as nirvana.

I never said the two practices are diametrically opposed. I said they diverge, like a branch of a tree. My foolish and humble opinion, is that the Buddha's insight into selflessness is that it has practical application in meditation. Clinging to nothing whatsoever simplifies the understanding of the meditation process. It's elegant simplicity allows the relaxation and release process to remain continuous from beginning to end.

This is just my view.

Always the fool's fool,

TMS

david_obsidian

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:36 AM »
TMS said:
I like to mix things up.

Do you mean, 'to mix things up' in the sense of to provoke a fight, or just merely to create confusion?  Or both? [:D]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:32:29 AM by david_obsidian »

gumpi

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 04:32:30 AM »
I agree with TMS about Ishvara.  Brahman is the non-dual absolute beyond creation and Ishvara is a personal God or being that created and rules the universe but it is not the same as Brahman.  I thought most yoga people knew this as a lot of people are introduced to yoga via swami Vivekananda.

As far as "God" is concerned, i do not believe ANYBODY knows this being in any way other than as light and sound and psychic experiences.  Look at the way you are all arguing about God and you are supposed to be enlightened people.  Even atheists have good arguments against the existence of God.  But i am not agreeing with atheists, just saying that when someone says they know God it is a red flag for me.

In Patanjali, in the "powers" section, there is a sutra about samyama on something to become omniscient.  But since Ishvara (God) is one without a second i don't think Patanjali is saying that a person or yogi can become omniscient because it would mean there would be two omniscient beings, which would cancel each other out (unless the yogi merged into God somehow, but i don't believe this personally).  Even Vivekananda said that a yogi becomes ALMOST omniscient (see his book on Raja Yoga).  Almost is not the same thing.

Buddha, to my knowledge, said nothing about omniscience, and he is said to have achieved the highest spiritual state.  I'm going along with Buddha here.

gumpi

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 04:37:35 AM »
Buddhists believe that the Buddha practiced concentration on the breath and taught this was the best way of meditating.  I don't think this is the best way of meditating at all.  It causes breathing problems eventually and doesn't give the mind anything to play with.  My experience with Deep Meditation AYP style has been immensely more powerful because it deals directly with the mind.

Relaxation is one thing but relaxed concentration is entirely another.  It is not forced concentration that leads to samadhi but relaxad concentration.  If you are concentrating on the breath your mind is divided.

themysticseeker

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 05:05:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

TMS said:
I like to mix things up.

Do you mean, 'to mix things up' in the sense of to provoke a fight, or just merely to create confusion?  Or both? [:D]

David, Your contention is that I need to admit that I'm wrong. What am I wrong about? I'm wrong, because you agree with Christi? I'm not creating confusion. The confusion is already there. I would say it's you and Christi who are confused.

Patanjali's discourse on Yoga and the Buddha's Dharma are distinct. The Buddha came out of no where to offer something different. It is a different system, based on distinct fundamental views. Selflessness is not the same thing as Self or Brahman.

Now, I can see where Christi and you might think, "Gee it all leads to the same enlightenment." I concede this. There's no describing enlightenment. What I hope to introduce is not confusion, but clarity at the outset. I am trying to help not hinder. I'm sorry if this is not helping.

The distinction lies as the outset not the goal. For those who are receptive; I merely point out that if one is oriented to selflessness, the journey to enlightenment is a little tiny bit more direct and efficient. That little tiny bit can be of enormous importance near the end, when one encounters the Cosmic Mind and Brahman.

The Buddha states that the goal is beyond consciousness and not-consciousness, being and non-being, thingness and no-thing-ness. The Buddha encouraged the letting go process to continue until shunyata is encountered.

What is cultish about that? What is cultish about selflessness?

David, you also make the dreaded ad hominem attack. I sense you don't like being challenged. I'm not knocking yoga. I owe everything to Kundalini Yoga Tantra. I practice it every day.

At the final step of my meditation adventure, I encountered this insight about selflessness. I perceived it as an innovation, a simplification of technique, an added efficiency. I later came to know the Buddha made it the cornerstone of his teaching.

Maybe it is not true for you, but for many the ideas of soul, God and Spirit are spooky and superstitious. It's not for me; however, I do recognize that these terms are not necessary at all to complete the journey.

Peace is universal. Selflessness is the universal moral precept and the expression of love of one another and love of Earth.

That is all.

Ahh...

TMS

gumpi

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 05:16:32 AM »
You seem to have contradicted yourself TMS.  You used the words "Cosmic Mind" and "Brahman" and then say you find ideas about "God" silly.  What is the difference between "cosmic mind" and "God"?  

Also, psychic phenomena and mediumistic phenomena definitely prove the existence of a greater power.  You might not be interested in these things but it proves there are things you don't know.